Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 20:58   #31
BHPian

HappyWheels - Close call, but glad you & your family came out unscathed In the end, that's all that matters. As mentioned previously, the part that has been damaged is a one-piece structure comprising the A-pillar, B-pillar, & C-pillar - difficult to replace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Salem - Erode
Erode - Coimbatore (including Coimbatore - Tiruppur)
Pypkmsrikanth - Spot on ! Had a close call with a privately run bus on the Salem stretch on my way to CBE this May. The highway had narrowed to barely two bus-widths & the moron was overtaking another vehicle - came over completely onto the left lane. My only recourse was to drive into the bushes by the roadside & the bus missed hitting my car by not a lot of centimeters. I still remember the shocked look on the faces of the passengers who were upfront (one old grandma had her eyes shut close) ! The surprising thing is, I don't think that driver made any attempt to slow down at all !?!

Last edited by im_srini : 24th September 2008 at 21:01.
Old 24th September 2008, 21:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all for your concerns! It really makes a huge difference when you share an ordeal with someone (in this case, a lot many!!!)

Came an hour back after giving the vehicle at Surakshaa.

Had initially planned to get someone from there to pick my car today evening after I came back from office, but when I told Lokesh I am coming down to Wockhardt, he asked me to drive down to the service center.

Initial experience and interaction, especially the smiling face of the service advisers and mechanics at 6.30PM, was wonderful!
Old 24th September 2008, 22:29   #33
BHPian

I had a similar incident on my way to office an year back, I overreacted (hit the driver across the face and called his mommy bad names) but that was because i thought i was dead for a second. some kind of law should be made to keep this kind of savages off the normal.

My Dad was suggesting about keeping the wheel spanner or something similar under the front driver seat, just in case there is some kind of need to express our opinion in something more than just words.
Old 24th September 2008, 22:53   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
My Dad was suggesting about keeping the wheel spanner or something similar under the front driver seat, just in case there is some kind of need to express our opinion in something more than just words.
Wouldnt recommend this, you never know when the same spanner snatched and will be used on you, things can turn ugly very fast in these situations.
Old 24th September 2008, 22:56   #35
Team-BHP Support

OT: There is a thread on self defence and what to carry in team-bhp.
Old 24th September 2008, 23:16   #36
BHPian

Don't want this thread to turn into a bus wallah bashing thread, and i think while doing something like that element of surprise should be used and if not the bus driver , we can break something on the bus like the headlight or something and runaway like hell.
Old 25th September 2008, 10:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

During the late 90's, when we used to travel by tourist taxi's (Amby) to Madras from Trichy, to pick up or drop my parents at the airport. We had a regular guy who used to always keep a bag of stones and sometimes used soda bottle, near him.

Even though I have not seens him use it, he did say that if he finds a bus or trucker being too much of a rogue, he make sures that he has space to zip thru and does a quick fling of the stones/bottle on the windshield of the other vehicle!!!!!!!!

Talk about taking extreme steps, this one takes the cake!!!

Disclaimer: I do not subscriber to this method and do not ever try this!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 25th September 2008 at 10:40.
Old 25th September 2008, 10:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
During the late 90's, when we used to travel by tourist taxi's (Amby) to Madras from Trichy, to pick up or drop my parents at the airport. We had a regular guy who used to always keep a bag of stones and sometimes used soda bottle, near him.

Even though I have not seens him use it, he did say that if he finds a bus or trucker being too much of a rogue, he make sures that he has space to zip thru and does a quick fling of the stones/bottle on the windshield of the other vehicle!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: I do not subscriber to this method and do not ever try this!
Are you sure about this? How did he do it? He would have lost control of his car and rammed his car on to the oncoming vehicle.
Old 25th September 2008, 11:05   #39
BHPian

Hi Happywheels,

Glad that you and your family are safe and without any injuries.

I know that bus... Its from the only private bus plying from Trichy and Salem (No other bus owners have trichy-salem permit) and have seen this bus always drive rash. Once I also had to stop my car fully to avoid a collision with this bus near Namakkal. I came to a 100% halt to make this idiot to overtake. If I had not stopped, I would have been hit.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Old 25th September 2008, 11:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Ohh scarry...good to know that you guys are safe!

I remember these green colored buses, they are too dangerous....had a tough time dealing with them couple of years back...
Old 25th September 2008, 11:40   #41
BHPian

HappyWheels, relieved that you and your family are safe..Nothing more to say, I can relate to what have gone through - just thank heavens.
Old 25th September 2008, 11:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Are you sure about this? How did he do it? He would have lost control of his car and rammed his car on to the oncoming vehicle.
Sure am. You know how these old Amby driver's driver, left hand on steering and right hand handing outside. He keeps the 'missile' on his palm, hidden, and does the flick at the last moment. Totally crazy, if you ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
...Once I also had to stop my car fully to avoid a collision with this bus near Namakkal. I came to a 100% halt to make this idiot to overtake. If I had not stopped, I would have been hit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
....had a tough time dealing with them couple of years back...
I now regret not taking him to the cops!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
...just thank heavens.
Every time, mate, every time! (And also Hell - do not want to put the red guy, down there, off! )

Last edited by HappyWheels : 25th September 2008 at 11:59.
Old 25th September 2008, 12:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

I was once witness to a driver (old Tiruvalluvar transport) emptying mouthful of water and more not on a Sand lorry driver who did a rash overtaking. I still cant fathom how did he manage to time this to perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
Hi Happywheels,

Glad that you and your family are safe and without any injuries.

I know that bus... Its from the only private bus plying from Trichy and Salem (No other bus owners have trichy-salem permit) and have seen this bus always drive rash.

Subbu
This guy must be similar to the likes of SCP which runs between Erode & Coimbatore. I remember in the mid 90's guys waiting at Erode bus stand to catch this bus to Coimbatore. It always used to run full and always driven rashly, possibly the worst I have seen on that stretch
Old 25th September 2008, 12:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
This guy must be similar to the likes of SCP which runs between Erode & Coimbatore. I remember in the mid 90's guys waiting at Erode bus stand to catch this bus to Coimbatore. It always used to run full and always driven rashly, possibly the worst I have seen on that stretch
Yes, This bus name is Ramajeyam or Sri Ramajeyam - didnt remember it exactly. He is the only private bus in Salem - Trichy route. And this bus has a long history of being running in this route since last 20-25 years.

And there are lot of government buses also plying frequently in this route. Hence there is always a tough competition to get the passengers. Hence this bus always drive rash. I am used to see this bus atleast once whenever I drive to Trichy from Bangalore or to Bangalore from Trichy.

And this competition menace increase once you cross Rasipuram junction, since the private buses plying in Rasipuram-salem also joins the race. And with road work going on this route, this problem is more dangerous.

I remember another incident, when another private bus going to Rasipuram from Salem, trying to overtake me from the left at the place where there is flyover construction going on. Do you know what I did...? I just stopped fully to allow him to overtake me and cautiously signalled the lorry following me that I am stopping.

I always prefer to stop instead of racing with these idiots, since Safety always priority to me rather than not bulging to these idiots. However whenever I need to stop, I will ensure that there are no vehicles tailgating my car and if there is any vehicle tailgating signal him using my hand that I am stopping.

Hence, please please drive carefully in this route. We cannot always expect fortune favour us in such cases.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Old 25th September 2008, 14:13   #45
BHPian

Hey I have also faced this issue especially during my travel from Salem to Rasipuram; I have seen buses plying towards Rasipuram taking the left closed lane and then literally flying thru the mud road and climbing back to the main highway without bothering to check or even signal their motives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks