Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 14:04   #1
Team-BHP Support

Scary accident on Marathalli bridge last evening

Okie, no pics for this one, and considering the gravity of the situation, i dont think we want to see any as well.

Happened/seen on the new Marathalli bridge in Bangalore last evening. Saw a red Getz which seemed to be struck from behind by a bike. Saw a crumpled heap lying behind the car, which obviously was the biker. The car's rear windscreen (correct usage?) had a hole through the glass, which must have been owing to the biker's head or helmet ploughing its way through the glass.

Within no time, the person was bundled into the same Getz and driven away, but through grinding traffic which is a norm here now. Surprisingly, there was no attempt made by the driver of the Getz to hurry, by forcing his way through the traffic to get the injured to a hospital. Was seen rather timidly trying to move with the traffic. Perhaps, still in shock?

The Getz had a 'L' displayed on the rear glass. There was a woman also seen in the Getz.

The sight of it, made one cringe. Nearly stopped to help, but by then there was a fairly large number of cars which had stopped, offerring help. I didnt want to add to the rush.

My question here : Who is at fault? The biker who couldnt stop in time, or the car which had a 'L' board, thereby absolving itself of any responsibility?
Old 20th October 2008, 14:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

From my side, should be the one from behind. Although its practically diff to maintain the safe distance, it should be followed. If the distance is small, then speed should also be less. Meaning, atleast have a safe "braking" distance.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

The women with L badge have the habit of sudden braking without any obvious reason. The women is at fault if that happened. I always try to avoid staying behind them or keep lot of distance in bumper to bumper traffic.

It might have been caused only because of rash driving by the biker. Then biker is at fault.

If both happened, both of them are at fault.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:14   #4
BHPian

What I am not able to get is, how can the impact be so severe, when that road is always jam packed and one can only manage crawling speeds on that road. Good to see that the driver of the Getz took the injured to the hospital.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

The very reason that a 'L' should be prominently displayed while a learner is driving is to avoid something like this. When we see a vehicle with a 'L' board, we are best advised to maintain a fair distance.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

The biker has to be at fault, with or without the L. You have got to maintain a safe breaking distance from the vehicle in front of you.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Either one of them,or no one is to blame(depends on situation).

I was in a similar situation 2 weeks back.
Was riding my Zma, there were three cars going ahead of me,all of us were in the region of 40-50km/hr and it has rained a while ago.
Suddenly there was a bang and before i could react the front wheel of my zma got locked and bike skidded and i was on the road,luckily i escaped unhurt.

first car braked hard to avoid sudden pothole(left over due to PWD morons).the second car couldnt react and banged it from behind,and the third one steered towards left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The biker has to be at fault, with or without the L. You have got to maintain a safe breaking distance from the vehicle in front of you.
How can you be so sure by just reading a few lines sitting in front of your computer?

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st October 2008 at 16:57.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
That would be my POV as well, but whats stated below makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The very reason that a 'L' should be prominently displayed while a learner is driving is to avoid something like this. When we see a vehicle with a 'L' board, we are best advised to maintain a fair distance.

That apart, lets not start blaming the lady, as i am not sure if she was even driving. She may have been the passenger.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:37   #9
BANNED

Here's my "educated guess" based on my knowledge of Marathahalli Bridge in evening rush hour:

The Getz was among the last cars in the queue. benbsb29 will be able to clarify whether the accident happened on the uphill section or the downhill section. Again, based on my experience, the accident had to have happened on the side from Brookefields to Marathahalli Ring Road Junction.

The Getz was "probably" just over the crest of the bridge and the biker seeing a clear stretch from the bottom of the bridge, "may" have sped up the bridge only to come across a stopped car. No time to brake and straight through the rear glass.

I don't think this has anything to do with lady drivers (the position of the lady in the car is not known) or L board cars or both. Also, I wonder how one can force his / her way through that traffic when I've seen Ambulance drivers struggle to get through with horns / sirens blaring away.

Last edited by hrag : 20th October 2008 at 14:38.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

IMO, both are at fault. The Getz for braking suddenly and the biker for not maintaining the safe distance.
Old 20th October 2008, 15:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Without knowing what exactly happenend, it is too premature to comment who was at fault etc....!
Old 20th October 2008, 15:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

You might want to consider of the fact that it was "sunday" yesterday so relatively lesser traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Here's my "educated guess" based on my knowledge of Marathahalli Bridge in evening rush hour:

The Getz was among the last cars in the queue. benbsb29 will be able to clarify whether the accident happened on the uphill section or the downhill section. Again, based on my experience, the accident had to have happened on the side from Brookefields to Marathahalli Ring Road Junction.

The Getz was "probably" just over the crest of the bridge and the biker seeing a clear stretch from the bottom of the bridge, "may" have sped up the bridge only to come across a stopped car. No time to brake and straight through the rear glass.

I don't think this has anything to do with lady drivers (the position of the lady in the car is not known) or L board cars or both. Also, I wonder how one can force his / her way through that traffic when I've seen Ambulance drivers struggle to get through with horns / sirens blaring away.
Old 20th October 2008, 15:20   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Also, I wonder how one can force his / her way through that traffic when I've seen Ambulance drivers struggle to get through with horns / sirens blaring away.
If it was me driving an injured to hospital, i would have had my headlights in high beam, hazard signals switched on, and gesturing widly through my open window to try and make way. Would make all possible noise using the horn as well.

Like i mentioned earlier, the person driving my actually have been in shock to think of all these.
Old 20th October 2008, 15:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Like i mentioned earlier, the person driving my actually have been in shock to think of all these.
Or it may be because he is new to driving/car...so it might have not flashed or he was not confident...
Old 20th October 2008, 15:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Benny ! That was rather unfortunate for the duo involved and to me the biker might be @ fault as he should have considerably maintained the braking distance which most of the folks on indian roads dont bother about maintaining that cushion which is very crucial when any vehicle ahead in the lane halts all of a sudden.
I really get too annoyed by people too close to comfort up the rear end for all the wrong reasons . When will people ever learn and value life?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks