Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 17:47   #16
BANNED

Actually a new Auto from Bajaj is surprisingly well built though older technology. It makes as much sound as an average car, yes that's true. Most Bangaloreans would not never have seen this since the drivers modify the exhaust as soon as they can and all we hear is that horrible chatter sound emanating from them.
The authorities have to crackdown on this modification else ban the 2 strokes to lessen the noise on the roads.

This apart the irritating thing is a lot of noise come from the two wheelers particularly the Pulsar bikes which have shrill horns and they go about continuously honking when the ride the bike thinking the road has to give them way because they are kings of the road.
In fact I would say the major contributor to noise pollution is two wheelers and the cabbies than autos now.
zaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 15:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Noise Pollution In Bangalore

Reviving an old thread...

Noise mapping in Bangalore - Sound shatters silence norms in Bengaluru, Domlur & MG Road the noisiest

Noise Pollution In Bangalore-si.jpg

Link
Old 4th June 2018, 16:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

People=Noise.

Greater population density=more noise.

Not much can be done about the latter till we do something about the former. It's really, really hard to make anyone understand that the sounds they may be able to ignore, or even find pleasant could be a real bother to someone else in a public place or in a neighborhood. Honking, barking dogs, screaming children, blaring music, loud conversations, festival celebrations, weddings, we're a nation that loves noise.

Anyone who is naturally silent in our society will be continuously asked why they are silent and if anything is wrong.

Last edited by am1m : 4th June 2018 at 16:07.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 19:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

In Bengaluru, we live in a corner house on a fairly busy road adjoining an industrial area. When we moved there in 2009, the entire area would go silent by 9.30ish and I could hear the light drone of factories till midnight. Most importantly for me, I could watch TV with volume set to level 25 (max 60) and not miss anything. Over the years, the area has got so noisy that at times we have to shout at each other to make ourselves heard, even inside the house. The TV runs at full volume and still the ladies in the house rely on headphones, Voot and Hotstar to listen to the missed conversations of their favorite soap stars. The number of vehicles has gone up disproportionately resulting in vroom vrooms till late night. As for the drone from the machinery, it has been a while I heard that. It fails miserably to compete with the ear shattering decibels that is the result of anrachy prevalent on the roads.

On a side note, the first night in Chikkamagaluru after spending a week or so in Bengaluru is a very difficult one for me. I suddenly get up with a sense of loss - looking for that missing crass cacophony to lull me back to sleep .
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 20:52   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
On a side note, the first night in Chikkamagaluru after spending a week or so in Bengaluru is a very difficult one for me. I suddenly get up with a sense of loss - looking for that missing crass cacophony to lull me back to sleep .
Curiously, it's quite the opposite for me. I live in a typical urban residential locality in Bangalore. It does go silent by about 10-ish, with the occasional noisy idiot disturbing the peace late into the night.

When I do go away from town, say a week to Madikeri on a coffee estate, I park the car and turn the phone off the moment I get there, only turning it on if/when I actually have to call someone.

I've never missed the urban cacophony, and I rather dearly miss the silence and recluse afforded by my vacation spot once I return to the urban jungle, in an 'I wouldn't mind living like that' sort of way. I was probably not meant to be an urban chap.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th June 2018 at 20:54.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 21:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
People=Noise.
Greater population density=more noise.
Not much can be done about the latter till we do something about the former.
Bengaluru has 10Kpeople /km2, & does not appear in this list. At the same time, you will see several cities from France, Belgium, & Greece here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

While I agree that controlling population will have many positive effects, it is also true that you need buyin from the society about prioritizing the reduction of pollution (of all types including noise) to have any real progress.
Old 4th June 2018, 22:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Reviving an old thread...

Noise mapping in Bangalore - Sound shatters silence norms in Bengaluru, Domlur & MG Road the noisiest

Attachment 1767499

Link
Incidentally, I recently moved from the noisiest to the quietest in the chart. Having stayed in Domlur for 2.5 years, next to a restaurant with the kitchen blower running from 5AM to 11PM followed by hotel gas cylinder delivery and garbage collection sprinkled with intermittent bursts by horrible noisy Dio's and Bullets in a tearing hurry at night, I feel fabulous now in JP Nagar!
It is uncanny as to how the stress levels have dropped. I am at peace now and even as I type this all I can hear is the rustle of the leaves as clean cool air blows in through the open window. The charm of old Bangalore is upon me

Last edited by rajathv8 : 4th June 2018 at 23:11.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 12:03   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
At the same time, you will see several cities from France, Belgium, & Greece here.
And I'm sure they struggle with noise too. Just one example, Paris - https://www.thelocal.fr/20150311/off...olume-on-paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
it is also true that you need buyin from the society about prioritizing the reduction of pollution (of all types including noise) to have any real progress.
Very true, that was the point I was trying to make. As a society, we are 'deaf' to noise Here if you ask someone to stop honking, or to keep their kids quiet, or to tone down the wedding music, or just not burst bombs in front of your house during Diwali post-11pm you'll get such strange looks or even threats! Very little chance any noise controlling regulation will have a chance here. Again, an example of Paris dated 2 years after the first article -

https://www.tripsavvy.com/paris-anti...ations-1618518

I still think density is the main culprit, not necessary population itself. If I'm travelling with just a friend or two, our noise levels are very low. But if that's a group, automatically the noise levels go up, even if each of us is a normally silent individual. Groups tend to become insular. We won't even realize that we're bothering other passengers and will probably be offended if someone outside the group points it out. Just human nature.

Last edited by am1m : 5th June 2018 at 12:06.
Old 8th December 2019, 16:06   #24

There is a parking lot for one of the IT company's shuttles beside our apartment in Hoodi. It also serves as an illegal garage for the vehicles and the repair related noises disturb us all through the day. The cacophony of the drivers only adds to the misery. The situation has become worse now and we aren't spared even on the weekends.

Any suggestions on whom to complaint to regarding this ? And more importantly, did anybody else successfully solve this kind of a problem by approaching the authorities ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks