Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:12   #16

The great escape - Palio is a Palio

This couple followed a rickshaw at an unmanned crossing and before they could realize, a train ran into them.
Luckily, they came out of it alive.

The irony is that there is an over head pass constructed just a few meters away from the unmanned crossing and this crossing was barricaded.

The barricades were removed by the villagers.

A reminder that trains are faster and bigger than you think!

Its hard to miss the strong build quality of Palio. Like the owner remarked "Must thank the strong build of Fiat Palio".

Link to the news article:
Deccan Herald - The great escape

Regards
Jeevs
Attached Thumbnails
The great escape - Palio is a Palio-train_hit.jpg  

optimystic01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:29   #17
BANNED

The family escaped ONLY because the car was dragged for 200 meters only, and then fell off the track. A normal train will take at least 1 KM to stop - even under emergency braking, and if the car had not fallen off the track, the couple would have been history.

Can't resist posting this:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Can anybody from NCR please help me in finding one
I am not sure of the location, but heard that there is a "crossing" (NOT a railway one) "manned" by somebody called St. Peter. ;-) His standards are very exacting. Are you sure you will be allowed through by that guy? (st. Peter?)
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:27   #18
BHPian

More Pics on TOI website

The link :

Train hits car at unauthorized crossing-Bangalore-Cities-The Times of India

Last edited by Bubby : 22nd January 2009 at 12:45.
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

So, this will go as a total loss. But then, it was due to the cost saving measure taken by the driver and also by breaking the law.

Will the insurance cover this? Will the driver get another chance to test the 'build' of a car?
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

i wonder if the new stile can survive this impact.
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:07   #21
BHPian

its good to know they both survived, no never give credit to Fiat for anything, its the luck of the couple they survived. Actually Fiat uses thick cardboard paper to make cars. they should be banned from manufacturing anything.

.ps. : stile won't have survived this
FERRO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The family escaped ONLY because the car was dragged for 200 meters only, and then fell off the track. A normal train will take at least 1 KM to stop - even under emergency braking, and if the car had not fallen off the track, the couple would have been history.

Can't resist posting this:-

I am not sure of the location, but heard that there is a "crossing" (NOT a railway one) "manned" by somebody called St. Peter. ;-) His standards are very exacting. Are you sure you will be allowed through by that guy? (st. Peter?)
+1 to that

While it is good to praise the build quality etc, it is important to remember no car is designed for an impact from a train. These guys were plain lucky to have come in front of a train moving at a low speed. I was in a train that rammed into a Bolero at full speed and it took faar more than 200 m to stop and there was nothing left of the poor driver and very mangled (far more than the Palio pics) remains of the Bolero

IMO, the critical thing here is to criticise these morons for going through an unmanned crossing and not praise the build quality of any vehicle.
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:18   #23
BANNED

RPF slaps case on the driver
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...ow/4018878.cms

And he's blaming the Railways saying nothing happened to him for 7 years!

p.s. I wonder if there's a traindriver forum - where they post about idiots suddenly coming into their path

Last edited by hrag : 23rd January 2009 at 12:20.
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:23   #24
BHPian

Had a question for you, Can insurance be claimed in this accident?
I still don't put the blame on the driver, how many people are following rules in our country?

Why do people use an unmanned railway crossing? There is no other option. Just check out the volume of traffic crossing again at the same place (Today's times of india), I put the blame on railways.

cheers:
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:24   #25
BHPian

Kismat achchhi thi ki jaan bach gayi...no car can withstand mammoth momentum of a train.

Last edited by deepgautam_qa : 23rd January 2009 at 12:26.
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:25   #26
BHPian

Did anything happen to the train? Was anyone in the train hurt? I am impressed with the train's build quality.
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
p.s. I wonder if there's a traindriver forum - where they post about idiots suddenly coming into their path
lol! just imagine that! good one!
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you, if the train was at its normal speed then both the occupants would have been HISTORY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
+1 to that

While it is good to praise the build quality etc, it is important to remember no car is designed for an impact from a train. These guys were plain lucky to have come in front of a train moving at a low speed. I was in a train that rammed into a Bolero at full speed and it took faar more than 200 m to stop and there was nothing left of the poor driver and very mangled (far more than the Palio pics) remains of the Bolero

IMO, the critical thing here is to criticise these morons for going through an unmanned crossing and not praise the build quality of any vehicle.
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:05   #29
BHPian

I dont think this is in anyway an indication of palio build quality etc. I feel the driver of the train must have slowed the train down. How can it be concluded that these mentally challenged occupants survived because of palio? They survived because of the presence of mind of the driver. On a full speed crash, I dont think we could have recognized whether it was a palio or not.
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Lucky guys! My uncle had a similar saga soon after he emigrated to USA in 1980. His car was hit by a goods train in Minneapolis and dragged for 800 metres. He was in a coma for 6 months!
Thanks to US doctors and facilities, he got back to normal life after 6 months and worked for another 23 years.
If you are wondering how the accident took place---well, he'd just emigrated to that place in winter, and roads were covered with snow. What he did not know was that some level crossings in the US had gates that block only half of the road. He miscalculated the braking distance on snowy roads and stopped right in the middle of the tracks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks