Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 15:00   #31
BHPian

FH if the charges are what you have mentioned. the total should be 1500. 1000 for the bumper and 500 as per the clause. nothing more than that.
Old 11th February 2009, 17:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I went to CARS India today. The service guy there was adamant that the bumper needs replacement. He says since its plastic it cannot be repaired and all that gyaan.

It costs 2000 for the bumper and 2000 for painting. With insurance claim, I need to pay 1000 (50% of bumper cost) and 500 for claim charges. Total cost might come something like 1700 or so...
So going for insurance sounds the best option.

Just because he was adamant does not mean you have to listen to him!

But then, guess you agree with his gyan and going for the work. With that decision, yes it make sense to go for insurance.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Just because he was adamant does not mean you have to listen to him!

But then, guess you agree with his gyan and going for the work. With that decision, yes it make sense to go for insurance.
I gave him lots of gyaan about MSIL scoring well on A.S.S. and all that. But he said he was sure that the dent cannot be repaired by heating etc. He said that if it was at the corner, then heating would have worked. But not for the damage in the center.

Plus the other options suggested include going to a local mechanic, balti wala etc etc. The cost of doing that might come close to say 500 bucks. But that doesn't really guarantee the perfect finish.

I am not really finicky about the car. I've decided not to be emotionally attached and all that jazz, but this being my 1st car, I dont mind going for the bumper replacement
Old 11th February 2009, 18:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The cost of doing that might come close to say 500 bucks. But that doesn't really guarantee the perfect finish.

I am not really finicky about the car. I've decided not to be emotionally attached and all that jazz, but this being my 1st car, I dont mind going for the bumper replacement
For a vehicle which is just a month old (and it being your first one!) I can understand your point of view.

Just make sure that the A.S.S does a perfect job - check, check and again re-check for the fit and finish.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

I understand the new car feel and all that , but I'd say you're starting down a slippery slope. soon it will be replacing stuff for scratches, dings , bends.

I drove my car VERY carefully for the first two months - was a harrowing experience all the while , thinking "i hope it doesnt get scratched" . then i got a pretty nice scratch along its right side. was mortified then, decided not to fix it. Just reduced it a bit with rubbing compound and i was good to go. Also was able to drive a lot more confidently in traffic. I mean, heck, I have a big scratch now, whats another one or two more

Kinda like failing your first paper in college. Its a big deal the first time. Afterwards you get used to it

The scratches also work in another reverse psychological way. People see them and think that I'm bound to be a rough driver, and keep a good distance, hence preventing more scratches ( heck, its a white indica , how worse can it get )

Last edited by greenhorn : 11th February 2009 at 18:25.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
The scratches also work in another reverse psychological way. People see them and think that I'm bound to be a rough driver, and keep a good distance, hence preventing more scratches ( heck, its a white indica , how worse can it get )
GH, scratches would be an overkill - I would anyway stay far away from any ''white Indica". LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader
He said that if it was at the corner, then heating would have worked. But not for the damage in the center.
ABT Arumbakkam told me that the dent on my car's rear bumper (at centre) can be repaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader
Apart form the 1700, you would lose the NCB which would be 20% of next year's premium, which is a considerable amount. Hope this has been taken into account in your calculation.

And since the rear bumper of our cars is one of the most favourite landing destinations of Chennai bikers, I doubt whether it would be feasible to keep changing bumpers every few months.

P.S. : A tip to avoid rear hits - blip the brakes briefly before going full slam. The initial blip would give bikers a little advance notice. Works most of the time, but like with anything in life, there are exceptions.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th February 2009 at 18:31.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
GH, scratches would be an overkill - I would anyway stay far away from any ''white Indica". LOL.

Quote:
P.S. : A tip to avoid rear hits - blip the brakes briefly before going full slam. The initial blip would give bikers a little advance notice. Works most of the time, but like with anything in life, there are exceptions.
I actually do kind of a "pretend" stop. I start braking early, giving an impression that I'm going to stop at a particular time/place, and just when I'm about to stop, I release the brake and coast a little more. most folks think I'm going to stop, and stop accordingly. even if they miscalculate, I'll have a little more room

question: is the brake lamp in your rear window an LED one or does it have normal bulbs ? LED brake lamps make a world of different in these cases

Last edited by greenhorn : 11th February 2009 at 18:41.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:44   #38
Team-BHP Support

Anil,

The NCB should come close to 2000 bucks. Do take that into account. Give the local guy a try first.
Old 11th February 2009, 19:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Any claim will have a recurring impact on NCB for next 5 years. Suppose you have a claim in the first year itself then -

1. You loose out on 20% of OD insurance value in 2nd year
2. 5% in 3rd year( you may get upto 20% NCB instead of 25%)
3. 10% in 4th year( you may get upto 25% NCB instead of 35%)
4. 10% in 5th year( you may get upto 35% NCB instead of 45%)
5. 5% in 6th year.( you may get upto 45% NCB instead of 50%)
Old 11th February 2009, 19:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

I am aware of these NCB rules. Not to the extent that DieselFan has posted though.

Its just 1 month into the 1st year and I see this. No matter how much optimistic I am, no matter how good a driver I am.. somethings are not in our control. Esp with bikers and MTC buses in Chennai. Plus this is not the fag end of the year. So after all these thoughts, I had decided to go in to claim insurance.

But guess I'll wait till the weekend. Visit a couple of other dealers/workshops and see if any jugaad can be done. As SB said, I can't replace the bumper each and everytime the car takes a knock
Old 11th February 2009, 19:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

dude , get a pair of those LED taillamps. they're functional(LED's light up a fraction of a second earlier) and match your headlamps
Old 11th February 2009, 19:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
dude , get a pair of those LED taillamps. they're functional(LED's light up a fraction of a second earlier) and match your headlamps
Thanks for the lovely suggestion. Last checked, they cost 9200 (the ones that noidaboy has). "Fraction of a second" works in F1. Not on Chennai roads

Given that I've already blown up some 50k just on mods, I guess I need to put in a deaf ear to such suggestions
Old 11th February 2009, 19:23   #43
BHPian

Dont worry just go to a local mechanic or MASS and ask them to push the plastic back to its orginal shape. They will push it using some wood peice, in worst cases you will need to heat the bumper and push it back.

I have been rear ended by a pulsar guy while crawling in 1st gear in traffic. I immediately went to the MASS and got it repaired. I did'nt pay a rupee.
Old 11th February 2009, 19:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the lovely suggestion. Last checked, they cost 9200 (the ones that noidaboy has). "Fraction of a second" works in F1. Not on Chennai roads

Given that I've already blown up some 50k just on mods, I guess I need to put in a deaf ear to such suggestions
to be honest , a fraction of a second really does make a difference. Imagine if the guy had braked 200 milliseconds earlier, would make a 40 cm difference at 10km/h, and more at higher speeds. more than enough to make the difference between an intact and bent bumper.

If you're broke , take apart the existing brake lamp. you have all those LED modding threads for guidance

Last edited by greenhorn : 11th February 2009 at 19:34.
Old 11th February 2009, 19:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
to be honest , a fraction of a second really does make a difference. Imagine if the guy had braked 200 milliseconds earlier, would make a 40 cm difference at 10km/h, and more at higher speeds. more than enough to make the difference between an intact and bent bumper.

If you're broke , take apart the existing brake lamp. you have all those LED modding threads for guidance
Okay dude. Will give it a thought. Not the DIY stuff, but the complete kit. I aint really broke, but recession times and all you see

Was wondering, how about putting a musical brake like those CT100/Star City dudes up north do. I press the brake and you'll have a musical Tata Young - Dhoom machaaaaaaale!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks