Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 16:46   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
I was driving on Velachery-Taramani Link road to office. I stopped for traffic and then was about to start. I realized at left corner that a lady carrying a baby was attempting to cross. However I had already pressed the accelerator and decided not to stop.
--- -----
Think about the heavy vehicle drivers. If we car drivers are cribbing about two wheelers and autos jumping - these heavy vehicle drivers encounter atleast twice the amount as us.
appreciate your thought.

its just a split second decission and I guess its always worth that second/minute to give preference to pedestrians and respect lane traffic.
Old 18th February 2009, 18:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

I always used to sit in the front seats of the erstwhile PTC buses and I've always admired the amount of patience the drivers seem to have. Badly maintained buses, gears that never used to fall in place at the first attempt, sweltering heat conditions, overcrowded buses, footboarding idiots (me included at times), bus timings to keep up and to top it all bikes, cycles, mopeds swerving into the path of the bus.... I'm surprised that most of them don't lose their patience or blow a fuse within an hour of driving.

In Chennai vehicles drive more closer to each other than Bangalore. Also Chennai auto guys have the best steering handle in the world, they can cut into any corner at any speed. Chances of getting scratched in Chennai is more than in Bangalore. However in Chennai no two wheeler stands behind a car and occupies that space... He generally squeezes through to the front !!
Old 19th February 2009, 17:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVille07
Its just a breach of driving etiquette and its unfortunate that even we BHP'ians are not following this.
I think 'hrag' was just being sarcastic, not serious. Like he mentioned about the lane markers being there for auto-guys.

P.S. : I just hope that newbies who don't get the sarcasm DO NOT think that it is the way to follow.
Old 19th February 2009, 20:12   #19
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
I was embarassed and watching the rear view mirror. A Tata mini lorry was behind me. He stopped for the lady to cross! The lady was not sure and did not start. He waived her to start and only after she crossed he started.
Druva, dont beat yourself up over it.

Sometimes, I've found it good not to stop for pedestrians (esp. kids) waiting to cross the road. Reason: the moron driving beside/just behind and to the right/left of me me may not realize that I am braking to let a pedestrian pass. And his or her visibility of the crossing pedestrian is hampered by my car.

When the pedestrian sees me stopping, he or she will cross the road (my lane + the lane alongside mine), with a very high probability of getting knocked down by the driver mentioned in the previous para.

Best way to let pedestrians cross? Decide atleast 20 seconds before you actually reach them, so that you can look in your mirrors and evaluate the situation. If there is a vehicle beside you, then you have two options:
1. stick your hand out of the car and ask the vehicle beside you to slow down along with you
2. dont stop - if you think the vehicle beside you isnt going to!
Old 19th February 2009, 21:28   #20
BHPian

SB

My intention was not to offense/defence any Bhpian/Sr-Bhpian or newbie.
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVille07 View Post
SB

My intention was not to offense/defence any Bhpian/Sr-Bhpian or newbie.

Dude, we all understand your statement. Many of our Tbhpians would also agree with it. But guess, we are all moving in the right direction, to follow traffic and safety rules.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yesterday, I am taking the right-turn at Mahalingapuram towards Loyola college after coming down the Usman Road flyover. I am on the lane close to the median and there is a biker on the leftmost part of the road. I like that turn and love the feel when you just breeze by. The biker suddenly thinks he is on the track and takes the turn the way racers do, which is OK with me. What is not OK and what I least expected is that we are both hitting the turn at the same time and suddenly for some wierd reason he leaves his lane and abruptly come to the centre of the road, landing just in front of me. It took some panic braking to save his life.

@Biker-at-right-turn, if not for the slow-driving Fiesta driver in front of me, you would have had me catching up with you and demanding an explanation for your stupid behaviour that could have cost you your life and for me a serious repair bill for all the SGP parts located in the front of the Baleno.
Dude,

I was there behind you in a red chevy Tavera. Never thought it was you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks