Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 08:33   #16
BANNED

Dr.Sumit Bhatti, very well said. It works, I have observed it.
Old 26th March 2009, 09:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

or you could live/drive in an area with more polite people and less congested roads, or avoid the rush hour. Works for me
Old 26th March 2009, 09:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sumit Bhatti View Post
Well said...I could not have expressed it better! I have always believed that good drivers are not just about driving skills alone.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
or you could live/drive in an area with more polite people and less congested roads, or avoid the rush hour. Works for me
Now, where do you find that??
Old 26th March 2009, 11:22   #20
BHPian

I leave the side rear view mirrors open on both sides, though the Getz mirrors are small when compared to the Swift's which I owned earlier, I ensure the gap at the sides is two times the mirror width, saves me from scratches though occasionally I have brushes to the mirrors without much damage atleast it's stopping the scratches I might get on the car. Try this method and it definitely saves your car from getting scratched.
Old 26th March 2009, 23:51   #21
BHPian

Docta Bhatti is CORRECTO!

Thats the way I drive- do not allow nuisance makers to make your 2 lane road into 6 lane mega expressway. Try to prevent it from happening as much as you can.
(at the same time dont block the traffic behind you if you are going slow)
Attached Thumbnails
The day people learn to respect other vehicles on road-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by aerohit : 27th March 2009 at 00:01.
Old 27th March 2009, 01:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Agree to almost all the points listed above on the thread especially with the me first, don't care about others and not looking while entering a street.

Had a similar incident today with a cab driver. This cab with no left ORVM and the right one folded was driving crazily on the Banjara Hills road while coming back from work in the evening. The guy even cut me off very bad twice despite my honking to warn him, but I guess to no effect. Then I got pissed and am get very vindictive sometimes (today being one of the days) seeing this kind of behaviour. After many attempts to run him onto the divider and so (Using the gradual drift technique) , the guy backed out and I thought that the cabbie has had his lesson for the day. But I guess I was wrong and thats when I got lucky. I saw a Piaggio Ape fully loaded going on the road on the right most corner, with me on left most and this Indica cabbie in the middle and slightly behind. I started using the gradual drift technique towards the right and kept pressing the cabbie . The guy without realising also started slowly moving towards the right and then came a loud screeching sound. The Indica had scrapped majorly with the Piaggio load bay. I saw all this, looked at the cabbie, smiled at him and moved on. Saw in the RVM that the Piaggio fellow was holding the cabbie by the collar.

Hope the cabbie got his lesson today.
Old 27th March 2009, 02:12   #23
BHPian

Be courteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Dr.Sumit Bhatti, very well said. It works, I have observed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Well said...I could not have expressed it better! I have always believed that good drivers are not just about driving skills alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
I leave the side rear view mirrors open on both sides, and it definitely saves your car from getting scratched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Thats the way I drive- do not allow nuisance makers to make your 2 lane road into 6 lane mega expressway. Try to prevent it from happening as much as you can.
Thank you all and aerohit, you reminded me of another important point: Be gracious enough to let these people that you may have blocked for a few seconds to get past you at the earliest opportunity; some of them may be in a genuine hurry. Consider your giving way as a trade off for a would-have-been-bad scratch !

And by the way, think about this: Many of these riders may soon be upgrading to a Newly Arrived Neatly Offered car and still might drive the same way!
Old 27th March 2009, 11:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Great description. But How will u handle the Biker/Auto who are enough smart to pass in between two cars in diff lane.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it genuinely possible in India? I mean with all the two wheelers and autos and buses and everyone driving a yellow board vehicle having scant regard for lanes and discipline, how can someone maintain his lane alone?
Old 27th March 2009, 12:28   #26
BHPian

Well Gentlemen, have you ever thought all these nuisance drivers on road could have been stopped if we had a better evaluation system for driving while offering valid licenses.

In India what people normally do is bribe and get a valid license, this practise is more prevalent in the commercial vehicles sides eg. taxi wallas and these are one crazy lot to add the most to the nuisance on the road.

Or if even we go ahead through proper channel, what kind of tests are conducted for driving.

Its very simple, take the car using first gear to a point, reverse the car to a point, take a u turn. And then you are cleared from the driving test.

I think with the current trend of thousand of vehicles adding every month in each city, the process should become more stringest upto international standards.

A person should be evaluated on the behaviour skills on road, and also on driving skills on the road itself rather than on a secluded spot.

For commercial license i think this should be more stringent with a timely renewal policy.

I think once this kind of practise comes, there would be certainly some change in the general carefree attitude towards driving on road.
Old 28th March 2009, 00:57   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

@invincible, mine was easier. I had to take the car ahead 5 mtrs and behind 5 mtrs. I didn't even get to fully release the clutch while going ahead.
And I was asked one question: What is the difference between a bike's gearshift and a car's? Simple, a bike had no reverse gear!

In the States, I happened to give a very easy driving test, but definitely one that few could pass on their first attempt in Mumbai. 2 of my friends who have been driving since a while failed their first attempt.
Old 28th March 2009, 02:27   #28
BHPian

True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Well Gentlemen, have you ever thought all these nuisance drivers on road could have been stopped if we had a better evaluation system for driving while offering valid licenses.
An excellent observation ! But may be denying a license by failing a candidate again and again violates the fundamental right to drive !
Old 28th March 2009, 07:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sumit Bhatti View Post
An excellent observation ! But may be denying a license by failing a candidate again and again violates the fundamental right to drive !
No Offences meant, but the right to drive is not fundamental and it is the duty of the Government to ensure that the roads are safe for all road users, even if it requires to deny a few their Driving Licences.

@lamborghini: Loads of Indians back I knew in UK I knew were scared to drive on Motorways even though they had been driving for quite a few years in India. If one has the knowledge of the basic rules, they can drive anywhere in the world.
Old 28th March 2009, 07:59   #30
BHPian

People in India have no time to think about others so dont fear getting a scratch on the car.

If you feel that they can put you in danger by all means corner them. They will get angry, swear at you but at last you save your car from the scratch.

Keep two wheelers from getting too close to the car by not giving in. They will try to get past once/twice then they will give up and follow you. In roads like Bangalore people feel that every 1/2 inch of the road space should be filled.

Apart from that me first attitude is present in all places in India except for where it should be. Make sure you don't posses one. I have had experiences with auto drivers coolly scratching the front of the car(with me in it) and go as if nothing happened.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks