Team-BHP - Toyota corolla in flames
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Toyota corolla in flames (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/57698-toyota-corolla-flames.html)

Saw this toyota corolla engulfed in flames near the start of Infantry road.

There was a huge crowd and later some news crew arrived.
Asking a local cop I was told that the car had a shortcircuit and caught fire :eek:
Saw the whole thing happen right under my nose, The fire started small soon the flames consumed the car.
Took some pics.
Some really lousy pictures :Frustrati

Thats really wierd.Hope no one was hurt in the "short-circuit".Is toyota listening?

Read about this in the TOI this morning. They seem to have commented upon short circuit being the cause as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manjith_pm (Post 1282730)
Thats really wierd.Hope no one was hurt in the "short-circuit".Is toyota listening?

Come on guys. We don't know whats the real cause and we expect Toyota to listen :Frustrati

First lets listen to the true story behind this.

Quote:

Why should Toyota listen?!! There are good chances of the owner making some unsafe local audio, lighting install.

Whatever it is..not a regular incident and needs a thorough investigation.

Quote:

Most of time these happen from sheer neglect. Sorry, I won't even think of blaming Toyota.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 1282932)
Most of time these happen from sheer neglect. Sorry, I won't even think of blaming Toyota.

Can you please enlighten us on this? We'd like to know so that we are not unknowingly neglectful.

While on this topic, would an estinguisher in the car have helped? I know a pal of mine has it in his car, but I was not sure of its efficacy. AFAIK, it might help in nipping the fire it its bud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory (Post 1282720)
:eek:
Saw the whole thing happen right under my nose, The fire started small soon

Hey did the flames start from inside the cabin or from the engine bay?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 1282942)
Can you please enlighten us on this? We'd like to know so that we are not unknowingly neglectful.

No enlightenment but possible clear points:

Faulty electrical work for audio/adding electrical accessories.

Replacing original cables with cheap/lower grade cables. This can happen during electrical gadgets installation. I've seen many such done on Bangalore's J C Road.

Dirty (oil/dust) engine bay. One of the most neglected area in a car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory (Post 1282720)
Asking a local cop I was told that the car had a shortcircuit and caught fire

That cop must be brilliant. He has found the reason for the fire even before it was put out. Genius. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 1282932)

Do you think that Toyota Cars are 100% Fire/safety proof. Ultimately its a machine. And fault can occur in any company Car. Its the Company that is responsible for delivering the Best.
If you remember many VW Passat car has to recall from the market after it is started giving problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 1282962)
No enlightenment but possible clear points:

Faulty electrical work for audio/adding electrical accessories.

Replacing original cables with cheap/lower grade cables. This can happen during electrical gadgets installation. I've seen many such done on Bangalore's J C Road.

Dirty (oil/dust) engine bay. One of the most neglected area in a car.

Thanks!! I wasn't aware that dust in the engine bay could also be the culprit---gotta examine my car under the hood now onwards.
What's the best way of getting rid of dust---blow through a vaccum cleaner? I guess cleaning with a wet cloth is not a good option.

Whatever it is, do not get it washed with diesel. Alas, thats a common practice across all service stations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arin_12 (Post 1283084)
Do you think that Toyota Cars are 100% Fire/safety proof. Ultimately its a machine. And fault can occur in any company Car.

For that matter, no car is. But did you hear any such complaints about Toyota in this country?

It's an one odd case as I see. In term of reliability there very little to talk against Toyota product.

Quote:

Its the Company that is responsible for delivering the Best. If you remember many VW Passat car has to recall from the market after it is started giving problem.
It's not only VW. Same happened with lot of other companies. Honda had a similar issue few years ago.

GM called for my car to replace ECU and fuel pump. My car had no problem but according to GM they found some issues with some cars in one particular batch. So the change was for all the cars from that batch. My car is from that batch.