Team-BHP - driving woes in hyderabad
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   driving woes in hyderabad (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/58095-driving-woes-hyderabad.html)

One more victim of Hyderabad dirving!!
Today in the morning I was on my way to work and on the way I was overtaking a State Transport bus-from the right mind you,which itself is rare in here, considering it is the RIGHT thing to do.As I reached in line with the front wheels of the bus, the driver decider to veer-to the right!!!:deadhorse.The result was predictive of course,specially since there was nowhere for me to go.My car now has a front left door which is written off along with the left hand engine bay panel.My car now stands in the workshop awaiting repairs.
Incidents such as these are common in this part of the country(and many others I guess) where driving sense is non existent. In light of the above, I think that it is time that we find ways to try and improve the situation. I am convinced that the first thing we do is to complain about the errant drivers to the concerned authorities. Now here is where i find myself bogged down.
Does someone know the proper channel to file a complaint about these STC drivers?

That's sad! Good to see that you were not injured. Where did this happen? Sorry but I cannot help with the information you are asking. I have a pretty pessimistic view of these things, as I believe that even if one complains nothing would happen. Hope you are able to prove my view wrong and some action is taken by the State Transport guys.

Sorry about the incident. Hyderabad is getting worse by day. Every one drives like he owns the road. Can't do much in short term.

Here is contact info for Hyderabad Traffic police - Contact Us - Hyderabad Traffic Police

They have launched this site recently and hopefully they would notice.

I tried sending couple of tips to so called 'police' and never got a response. (ok i am optimistic that they have received those). there was gentleman who did spend quite a lot of time and prepared a documentary sort of thing interviewing people on hyd traffic.
Search t-bhp for the links. This person is in currently Blore i guess. The effort was quite impressive but didn't reach anywhere. Don't know the reasons. But idhar 'aisaich' hota hai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neel385 (Post 1291483)
As I reached in line with the front wheels of the bus, the driver decider to veer-to the right!!!

Neel, No way I'll justify this but to be honest, this is the state of affairs concerning traffic everywhere. And it's not gonna change by filing complaints or slapping fines. One needs to educate oneself to change the system.

I am from Hyderabad, born and raised there, etc., etc., until I had to move to Bangalore in search of food. Believe me, Bangalore traffic is worse than the Hyderabad traffic. Now I do not complain when I drive in Hyderabad. In fact I find the commuting traffic very polite in Hyderabad. No exaggeration honestly. So imagine that. That's what I am dealing here.

Some precautions you can take when you attempt to overtake in Indian traffic:

1. keep enough distance from the vehicle you are passing
2. avoid being in other vehicle's blind-spot even for a moment (important)
3. honk so much that the driver literally turns to you

This is called defensive driving which one can do from his or her part.

I am sorry that you are stuck with your car in the garage. Hope things get well.

Thanks for all the support guys...i'm onto a little research myself,so lets see what turns up...and the sad thing is Allroad,I was doing all the things prescribed and even then this!!

Sorry about the damage, Neel.
Do post pics of the car. Is there an estimate on how long it will take to fix, as well as costs associated with the same?

Well, unfortunately one can not do much about it as the so called Traffic Sense is almost non-existant here. A good thumb rule is to keep away from the APSRTC buses. Long time back I had a thread running here where I counted out some of the things to remember while driving in Hyderabad. One of them was to be very very wary of the APSRTC buses. Even if you see a bus standing on a bus stop and you are about to pass by be cautious and keep the max possible distance from it. The bus can start moving anytime and the chances are pretty high that the driver will simply give a full right lock to the steering and pull out of the stop almost in 90 degrees.

In essence there is just 0 sense amongst the APSRTC drivers. And if you see them violating the traffic signal right under the nose of the traffic police guys you start getting an idea where all this impunity comes from. :p

I hope you get back your car in shape at the earliest. Off topic but do check for the alignment of the door and the shutlines after they change the damaged door.

P.S.: Considering that you live and work in Hyderabad should your profile location not show Hyderabad? :)

Hard luck Neel.

Like Allroad said, defensive driving is the key here, and not letting your concentration waver even for an instant. Hope the car gets fixed quick.

My condolences. Its the most annoying thing to pay the price when its not your fault. Is there any form of 3rd party insurance in India? I mean, at least with government vehicles?
I know my bike & car had comprehensive insurance which covered 3rd party/property damage but how does it work in India? In the west you make 1 phonecall to the other bloke’s insurance company (if it is his fault) and the insurance company does the rest, including organising a loan car for you.
Last week my dad was telling me about a biker who scratched his Baleno under the paradise flyover and then ran away. He was really cut, I told him to buy a Nissan G60 - Jonga

Hard luck neel. You need to be wary of big buses.

Now they have introduced vestibuled buses on the Jubilee Hills road. Just imagine the plight of traffic on the road when these buses are running!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allroad (Post 1291717)
Believe me, Bangalore traffic is worse than the Hyderabad traffic. Now I do not complain when I drive in Hyderabad. In fact I find the commuting traffic very polite in Hyderabad.

Yes, Hyderabad traffic has a sort of politeness to it. It is messy yet fast.

Well guys, the cost of repairs is around 17G of which I'll have to shell out around 20%, rest by the insurers-HDFC ERGO.So the answer to Gasolinejunkie's question is that we do have comprehensive insurance here and, 3rd party is only if you conk off someone, then the insurers pay form the damages to that car's owner.
A word about the insurers, they were no hassles really. I gave my vehicle at Autofin and after the initial survey, the surveyor wanted to see my license in person. Since I stay about 40 Km from the city proper, I called up the insurer and he promptly asked me to mail him photographs of my license. I think that is quite considerate of him.The repairs have started and I should get my ride back by Saturday.
A word about the response from you guys though.Most of you must have seen the Jaago Re ad campaign. I think it is a true reflection of the state of ours today. While I agree that the levels of governance in this country leaves much to be desired, I for one do not believe that all is lost. So, on this note, I started to see what I could do to get the errant driver to book.
On Googling for the Chairman APSRTC, I got his number and gave him a call. I was pleasantly surprised when he gave me a patient hearing and promptly gave me the number of the depot to which the bus belonged. I called up the Depot Manager, and he has asked me to send a written complaint. The procedure, as explained by him, is that this letter is going to be forwarded to the GM of the depot and that person is going to haul up the driver and it seems they will negotiate for a settlement of the cost of damages.
Realistically, I know that the cost of the damages is unlikely to see a settlement keeping the Unions in mind. But I think that I will be satisfied if I am able to secure a reprimand for the errant driver and an endorsement of the same in his service records.
So next time anyone gets bumped by a APSTC bus, try this:
(a) Lodge a police case.
(b) Take down the details of the bus, the driver and the conductor and which depot it belongs to.
(c) Give a call to the GM APSRTC Ph No.044-27615744, and do as he advices.

Don't worry guys, there is hope left!!! Will keep you guys posted about what happens.
And Zappo..your questions will be answered...in person..!:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by neel385 (Post 1292916)
So next time anyone gets bumped by a APSTC bus, try this:
(a) Lodge a police case.
(b) Take down the details of the bus, the driver and the conductor and which depot it belongs to.
(c) Give a call to the GM APSRTC Ph No.044-27615744, and do as he advices.

neel, do correct the number to 040-27615744. Still cannot get over Chennai eh, Just give it time..:)

Find the AP car owner info here Welcome To TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRAPRADESH - INDIA

Hey bblost, very useful link! I found my car registration details there.