Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 14:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Importance of braking distance

When will people learn that tailgating is not only stupid but dangerous? Maintaining braking distance is an important part of driving, its a shame that many drivers thinking that they have to keep as close to the vehicle in front as possible like an animal trying to find a mate during breeding season.

Importance of braking distance-bus.jpg

Car sandwiched between buses
Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, June 3
A tipsy man created ruckus, when he lied down before a Haryana Roadways bus, which resulted in banging in of a Honda city car that was sandwiched between a Haryana bus and an another private bus here today. The car occupants escaped unhurt.

The incident took place near the railway crossing on the Chandigarh-Ambala highway road. A visit to the spot revealed that Honda city (DLC-3-BA-1785) borne Rajesh Nagpal and his daughter were on their way back to their home at Sector 38 (West), when they had a miraculous escape.

Due to this chaos on the road, the commuters had to face tough time as the traffic remained jammed for about half an hour.

It was observed that the crane reached at the spot late.

Narrating the incident, Dharmender, the driver of the bus (HR-47- 8901), said a man suddenly appeared before the bus and laid down on the road. “Though I managed to save the man by applying brakes, but the Honda city car, which was coming from behind, crashed into rear of my bus,” said the driver.

According to the police, another private bus (CH-O3-C-5279) of Aujla Transport Co, which was behind the car, also rammed into the car’s rear. The driver of the car fled the spot. Meanwhile, the police arrested the drunkard man, Madan, a resident of Hallowmajra.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Chandigarh Stories

Last edited by bigman : 4th June 2009 at 14:04.
Old 4th June 2009, 14:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

From the pictures it looks car in very bad shape.
It is amazing that the driver of the car survived

wow, that is what Honda cars are made of !!!!!
Old 4th June 2009, 14:14   #3
BHPian

That looks like a bad one. Glad that no one got hurt. In city traffic, it is not always possible to maintain a lot of distance, except when in free flowing traffic. You leave a gap, and some idiot will cut in--2 wheeler, auto, you name it. Besides, buses are notorious for this. They dont have working tail lights, ever, and will stop anywhere. While in these cases the fault almost always lies with the one doing the tail-gating, I do believe that all this jaywalking, rowdy traffic and unpredictable buses are also partially to blame.
Old 4th June 2009, 14:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In city traffic, it is not always possible to maintain a lot of distance, except when in free flowing traffic.
Braking and thinking distance (at slower speeds) in built up areas is lower than in free flowing traffic (as you speed will be lower). This Honda must have been travelling at a fair speed without the necessary braking distance.

Its true what you say about people trying to push in. For town driving I try and keep a gap of about 4/5 feet. If the person in front breaks down or stops at least you then have enough space to manouvre around them without trying to reverse (because some idiot is sitting on your tail).

In the UK we use the divide speed in half multiply by 3 to get the braking distance. So if you are travelling at 10mph your braking distance is 15yards. If speed is 70mph then braking distance is 105yards. You occassionly get idiots who tail gate but the problem is not as bad as in India. Also if someone rear ends you then that is their fault not yours. In India they person rear ending will say why did you apply brake. I guess they expect you to drive non stop without ever applying brake for animals, people, vehicles and other objects which can suddenly stop in front of a vehicle.

Last edited by bigman : 4th June 2009 at 14:26.
Old 4th June 2009, 15:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
. A visit to the spot revealed that Honda city (DLC-3-BA-1785) borne Rajesh Nagpal and his daughter were on their way
It looks like Honda Civic for me.
thank god the occupants are safe
Old 4th June 2009, 16:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

if you notice its mentioned the truck behind the civic banged into the car. so it could be possible that the guy may have stopped but got beneath the bus due to the impact of truck hit. in a free flowing traffic, these things are bound to happen, thats what is a car pile up, you dont expect the vehicle in front of you to apply sudden brakes all of a sudden.

It can happen anywhere to anyone.
Old 4th June 2009, 17:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
you dont expect the vehicle in front of you to apply sudden brakes all of a sudden.

It can happen anywhere to anyone.
Its really a case poor driving. A good driver is aware that his vehicle takes time to stop so will not tailgate and keeps a braking distance gap. A poor driver takes things for granted and makes assumptions like the vehicle in front will not apply sudden brakes.

Not saying it was the car drivers fault as you rightly point out the car may have been hit from behind, forcing it into the bus infront. In this case the driver of the truck who hit the car from behind is to blame for not keeping a suitable braking distance.
Old 4th June 2009, 17:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the person in front breaks down or stops at least you then have enough space to manouvre around them without trying to reverse (because some idiot is sitting on your tail).
Most of times this itself will serve as a very good indication, able to maneuver even when the vehicle ahead stops for some reasons

If you find any vehicle moving ahead does have a non-working tail lamp, we should gain enough gap in between or preferably allow a different vehicle to fill in the gap (ofcourse with a working taillamp) or move ahead by overtaking. Have observed such vehicles to be very dangerous on tight braking situations

On tailgating, have seen a friend of mine tailgating another heavy vehicle which is doing reasonable speeds. I told him that he will not be able to stop in time if the vehicle ahead brakes (hard). He was trying to prove me wrong by tailgating even closely, whenever the driver of the heavy vehicle ahead stops acceleration/remove his foot from 'A' pedal, he slows down & looks at me, communicating " see, I said you na, i can manage". Such people never understands that tight braking situations are completely different from the situation where he trying to prove me wrong. Let alone these tailgating vehicles, even if you maintain reasonable distance its difficult to stop in time on highways when the vehicle ahead you, does a sudden braking (that 1-2 seconds late reaction matters much)
Old 4th June 2009, 17:55   #9
BHPian

in the US driving manuals, they teach the driver to use 2 second gaps between the vehicle in front and yourself. It increases to 4 seconds in wet conditions. The 2 second rule works well in our conditions as well.
Old 4th June 2009, 19:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
in the US driving manuals, they teach the driver to use 2 second gaps between the vehicle in front and yourself. It increases to 4 seconds in wet conditions. The 2 second rule works well in our conditions as well.
There is some life science logic behind this, which most of the people dont know in our country.

I saw once in Inner Ring Road Bangalore with tailgating accident involved 5 Vehicle and most of them was CAB Driver.

The Heavy vehicle should be designed in better way. Some thing like "TATA WORLD TRUCK" Where the in front u have less GAP. So injury will be less while tailgating or head on collision..
Old 4th June 2009, 19:40   #11
Team-BHP Support

In the night, don't drive faster than your head lights.

Look at the farthest point illuminated by the lights.
Your speed must be such that at any time you can bring your vehicle to a halt before you cross it.
Old 4th June 2009, 19:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:

According to the police, another private bus (CH-O3-C-5279) of Aujla Transport Co, which was behind the car, also rammed into the car’s rear. The driver of the car fled the spot.
Very odd. Why did the driver of the car run away? Yes, he was tailgating, but the damage was done when the bus behind rammed into the car, pushing it under the bus in front.
Old 4th June 2009, 20:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Very odd. Why did the driver of the car run away?
Maybe he was drink driving or the story is wrong because it is usually the bus drivers who flee.
Old 4th June 2009, 20:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

The people in the front of the car must have had some serious luck to be able to walk away from that crash. That, or superb reflexes to be able to duck down in time.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:42   #15
BHPian

tailgating behind heavy vehicles is never a good idea. I've seen certain people following a bus etc. in night on single lane highways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks