Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2009, 18:06   #1
BHPian

High speed stupidity

Was coming back home in my car yesterday evening. The car was doing around 70-80kmph and the road was pretty deserted and it was drizzling. I was driving pretty close to the divider.Was approaching a pretty sharp curve(to the left) and braked a little. The car was still going where I intended it to. Midway through the curve, the car was still doing a serious pace. I dont exactly remember if I had pressed the throttle again.

But I clearly remember the car beginning to lose traction. Tyres squealing.The rear started giving out and I tried to correct it to the right with the steering. But it was an overdose as the car was again off the intended line, but now to the right. Then again to the left. The fourth time, the car got it right and went straight.
I dont remember doing anything voluntarily to control the car. It was all instinct and it all happened in a flash. But it was definitely a heart in mouth experience, and after some time, was grinning that I could manage to drift a Getz 1.1.

cheers
Old 5th June 2009, 18:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

drizzling, if the first one, after a loong time, will lead to oil being loosened and cause the car to loose traction. Especially at bends because that's where all the heavy vehichles spill diesel. you also notice that since the diesel dissolver tar, road surface will be bad on highways near bents.
Old 5th June 2009, 18:25   #3
BHPian

That was quite dangerous, seems control was lost for a moment . What tyres you have on your vehicle (tyre squealing)? Never drive too close to the dividers.

DRIVE SAFE.

+ 1 Kutlee. Its better to avoid cornering near dividers while driving in rains .

Last edited by mnhegde : 5th June 2009 at 18:30.
Old 5th June 2009, 19:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
.....The rear started giving out and I tried to correct it to the right with the steering. But it was an overdose as the car was again off the intended line, but now to the right. Then again to the left. The fourth time, the car got it right and went straight.....
Known as fishtailing.

A fair deal of luck that you got out of it okay - so probably not best to try it again

cya
R
Old 5th June 2009, 20:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Lucky you got out of that one without a scratch.

+1 to fishtailing, not drifting. Dont try this on your FWD again

Also thats insightful about the drizzle loosening the Oil.
Old 5th June 2009, 20:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you had lost complete control of the car for mroe than 1 sec,you probably would have gone off the road and hit the divider. Good for you that you avoided a crash.
No matter how good your tires are, once it starts drizzling its definitely a good idea to slow down along curves.
Old 7th June 2009, 12:59   #7
BHPian

Thanks guys for the replies. Yes, will definitely be a bit more careful in the future. And yeah it was fishtailing ( more than the tail, it was the nose which was going all over the place ) and not drifting.

cheers
Old 7th June 2009, 14:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

@ Zed , you are lucky that you got out of this without a scratch. Please take extra care in the future.

I once had a 180 deg unintentional spin at 20 MPH on a slippery U turn in my Office compound. And that too with good tyres. Once needs to be very careful on the wet.

Drive Safe!
Old 7th June 2009, 15:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

The first rain dissolves all sorts of deposits on the road including oil and mud and makes it a very slippery past. Forget driving, you should be careful while walking. Many people have falls during this first rain.
Old 7th June 2009, 16:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of my first fishtailing experience about 6 years back in an accent crdi was doing a speedo indicated 140-150. I had only a couple of years driving experience that time. I was damn lucky to come out alive after that; missed the divider by a couple of inches. Luckily i dint slam the brakes, eased of the throttle shifted to fourth and turned gently away from the divider. My hands were shaking for a minute after the fishtailing.
For hyderabadis: It happened on necklace road on the curve just before eat street (while driving from sanjeeviah park to prasads)
Old 9th June 2009, 15:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

I've had my front turn inwards in the spiral ramp of my parking lot, once in the up ramp, and once in the down ramp. The dudes at the end of the up ramp, on the road side were laughing as I came up onto the road tokyo drift ishtyle, sideways
PS: yes I was scared!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks