Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 10:58   #1
BHPian

Dogs tear off TYVEX car cover. Any peaceful solution ?

Disclaimer : I am not against dogs or any pets or their owners. Its only the preventive medicine I am looking for.

Recently, I bought a tyvex car cover for my swift. Yesteryday, after polishing and waxing my car, I put on the cover for the day on my vehicle and today morning I saw that the cover has been torn by the dogs near the right wheel arch. I was shocked . Tearing a TYVEX cover requires atmost strength, which I believe the dogs near my house do possess. They cannot be shooed away nor can be taken care of by BBMP. They even made a couple of deep scratches on my vehicles bonnet.

What I am looking for is to peaceful method so that the dogs can be kept away from my car. Is there any device that can repel dogs from my vehicle, like the ones we have for rodents and cockroaches ?

Any pointers is highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot
Old 24th August 2009, 14:25   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is weird. Dogs dont normally attack stationary vehicles or their covers as far as I ve seen. Unless of course they were having a fight nearby and somehow the car cover became involved.
suggest check this out and see if there are any local vandals around your area because without having actually seen the dogs attacking the car and its cover one cannot assume that it was dogs in the first place. Even the scratches on the bonnet. My dogs have jumped on the car sometimes when they are excited, especially when greeting me when I get home - but any scratches they have left, have been very shallow and goes off with car polish/ wax. Their claws are not of the type that can inflict extremely deep scratches and nor are they in the habit of sharpening their claws against trees, posts and so on- it is usually the big cats that do that sort of thing.

I feel strongly this may be some kind of vandalism attack- so please be careful to check and then figure out preventive medicine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Disclaimer : I am not against dogs or any pets or their owners. Its only the preventive medicine I am looking for.

Recently, I bought a tyvex car cover for my swift. Yesteryday, after polishing and waxing my car, I put on the cover for the day on my vehicle and today morning I saw that the cover has been torn by the dogs near the right wheel arch. I was shocked . Tearing a TYVEX cover requires atmost strength, which I believe the dogs near my house do possess. They cannot be shooed away nor can be taken care of by BBMP. They even made a couple of deep scratches on my vehicles bonnet.

What I am looking for is to peaceful method so that the dogs can be kept away from my car. Is there any device that can repel dogs from my vehicle, like the ones we have for rodents and cockroaches ?

Any pointers is highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot
Old 24th August 2009, 15:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Last year my car's cover became victim and almost the entire cover was in peaces...
actually when its windy the covers keep flapping and the noise attracts them...
Old 24th August 2009, 15:12   #4
BHPian

@Shankar

No vandals at my location. Can easily see the torn pieces of the cover and it can be made out to be from the dog.

Actually a new puppy has come to our area and i have my doubts on him. As rightly pointed out the dog marks can be covered up by Polish, which I do it every fortnight, but it pains to see the cover torn apart.

Will keep a watch out for other things. Surprisingly, it affects my car only, neatly maintained, polished, covered and a beauty in the lane.

Other cars which are parked outside, including Qualis, 800, Getz Black, Balck Santro doesnt seem to be attractive to dogs.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:15   #5
BANNED

the cover could be flapping a bit as has been mentioned
maybe you should tie it up underneath - side to side as well as front to back - this will reduce the flapping on windy days.
puppies can be attracted by the flapping and may pull and tear the cover - yes - but the scratch marks? I still would suggest that you see whether there is some malicious character hanging around scratching the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
@Shankar

No vandals at my location. Can easily see the torn pieces of the cover and it can be made out to be from the dog.

Actually a new puppy has come to our area and i have my doubts on him. As rightly pointed out the dog marks can be covered up by Polish, which I do it every fortnight, but it pains to see the cover torn apart.

Will keep a watch out for other things. Surprisingly, it affects my car only, neatly maintained, polished, covered and a beauty in the lane.

Other cars which are parked outside, including Qualis, 800, Getz Black, Balck Santro doesnt seem to be attractive to dogs.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dogs dont normally attack stationary vehicles .....
Well, Dogs do attack, usually when they chase those huge rodents or cats, and when these rodents take refuge inside the engine bay, they usually get in through the gap between the tyre, so the first thing these dogs bite off are the mud flaps, or if your car has cover, then that.

There are no sure shot methods, but I was able to keep the rats away using kerosene. During my Zen days, I used to load this sprayer with kerosene and go around the car, spraying at the bottom of the cover and the mudflaps, most of the evenings.

Now, if there are some mischief makers around or some people smoking... well, keep the insurance papers ready in that case.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:20   #7
BANNED

this point I appreciate - a rat or maybe even a bunch of rats had made themselves comfortable and built a home inside the bonnet of my Swift about a year ago or so.
While getting it cleaned up, I figured out with the help of the mechanic that we had to introduce a metal mesh type arrangement inside which prevented the rats access to that area.
And I remember all our dogs used to keep circling the car sniffing interestedly - undoubtedly there must have been rats hanging around inside the engine bay at the time.
however, they didnt try and jump and scratch the car and so on nor bite the flaps nor the cover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Well, Dogs do attack, usually when they chase those huge rodents or cats, and when these rodents take refuge inside the engine bay, they usually get in through the gap between the tyre, so the first thing these dogs bite off are the mud flaps, or if your car has cover, then that.

There are no sure shot methods, but I was able to keep the rats away using kerosene. During my Zen days, I used to load this sprayer with kerosene and go around the car, spraying at the bottom of the cover and the mudflaps, most of the evenings.

Now, if there are some mischief makers around or some people smoking... well, keep the insurance papers ready in that case.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:29   #8
BHPian

@lambuhere1 you are lucky they were satisfied with the cover ..

Few stray dogs chewed my Palio S10's rear Mud flaps !
They even dug few holes on the lower side of the fenders !!

Wonder Why !
Old 24th August 2009, 15:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

You get sprays which can be applied which will keep the dog away from the car, from pee's and bites Saw it at the pet shop here in BLR.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You get sprays which can be applied which will keep the dog away from the car, from pee's and bites Saw it at the pet shop here in BLR.
Jaggu, Would love to lay my hands on the said spray. Can you redirect me to the said shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
@lambuhere1 you are lucky they were satisfied with the cover ..

Few stray dogs chewed my Palio S10's rear Mud flaps !
They even dug few holes on the lower side of the fenders !!

Wonder Why !
Believe they need to be in a competition. Wonder why they dont try on robbers and other mischiefs.

@Shankar : Rodents, its a possibility, as I have a covered drain at the place I park my car. Will shift my parking location and then observe.
Old 24th August 2009, 16:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
+1 to this idea.
My car is now used to the territory marking by dogs now.

The bad part is when I put on the cover, dogs still do it.
So end up washing the cover every now and then to get rid of the stink.

Other option is not to use the cover (which I'm doing now)

Now the marking is done on the tyres.
Old 24th August 2009, 16:48   #12
BHPian

Elementary My dear Watson

I had also bought the Tyvex cover for my Altis in April. I keep my car in a huge parking near my house. Within 15 days dogs tore about 1 sq. feet of cover from front and back side of the car. I found the torn pieces in the morning near the car.

I had shrugged off the incident as a one off but this thread got me thinking.
The Tyvex cover generates big amount of static electricity after coming in contact with dry hot air which is common in April, May June. While taking off the cover in the morning I received strong electric shock many times.

Dogs have a habit of sneaking below the car for sleeping. In doing so they must have touched the bottom part of the cover and received electric shock. Once stung, the dogs would have attacked the cover in retaliation and tore off the cover. I dont think there is any remedy to this till the manufacturer puts some anti static treatment on the cover.

The only remedy which I have discovered is to spray water on the cover, but nobody can keep it doing through entire summers. Problem will not arise in high humidity season. I wash the cover once in 15 days and that also seems to have reduced the static generation.

Last edited by akj53 : 24th August 2009 at 16:50.
Old 24th August 2009, 17:21   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Sprinkle generous amounts of chilli powder at strategic locations, including the wheels. It should keep animals away, if that is the problem.
Old 24th August 2009, 17:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Har har!

Hey lambuhere, werent you the guy asking for info on tyvex car covers some months back?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...mga-tyvex.html

I'd told you to forget these fancy names and go buy a course tarpaulin cover. It would have given the canines a genuine "teething" problem. Too bad you didnt listen to me then.
Old 24th August 2009, 22:10   #15
BHPian

Put some nilgiri drops around the vehicle.
The strong pungent smell should drive them away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks