Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2009, 15:40   #31
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
No temp registration vehicle should be allowed on the Road. I see a lots of private/public vehicle daily runs on our bangalore road even though they are 2-3 months old.
I think the 'temporary' plates on these vehicles were 'permanent'

This is a terrible incident and cant imagine what Bangalore is becoming !! The KR Puram - Marathalli stretch is also known for mugging incidents.
Old 6th September 2009, 16:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

This is shocking. Now the first thing the police is going to do is announce that restaurants etc should close by 7 pm, ppl should not get out of their houses on weekdays, and what not. What is our country coming to?
Old 12th September 2009, 12:46   #33
BHPian

One day in the month of July, I was on my way from Valsad to Mumbai on a cool Sunday morning. Normally it takes about 3-4 hours to cover 198 kms. if the NH8 highway is not too dented. As we reached Manor it started raining heavily heading towards Thane-Ghodbunder cross road. As we passed Fountain hotel, climbing towards Kashimira, Mumbai, suddenly two guys on a Splendor bike overtook me from the left and shouted 'the car has caught fire'. I drove on for some time and was in two minds to stop. It was just 3 kilometers from my home in Dahisar. I stopped on a side, pulled the handbrake as it was a steep slope, but the handbrake rope broke and I had to put a stone to start the engine in idle to check. They told me to open the bonnet, and they put a cloth on the ignition coil, and a huge flame erupted. I did feel helpless for a second as my wife was sitting in the car. They offered me to get a new one and that they would get it very quickly. One guy went and brought the coil, the other stood there. Repalced it in seconds and the car seemed to work fine. They demanded Rs. 2000 which i found fishy as no coil of Maruti 800 is costing Rs 2000 in the entire country. One fellow wanted to test drive and sat on the wheel, I dialed a group of m friends and put it on speaker phone. Within moments they disappeared. Paid them off and reached home. On contacting the cops, the same day, they added that their replaced coil will be a refurbished one and I need a new one to get going. Checked with my mechanics, they said its a daily loot for outstate registered cars. They further clarified that there hasnt been a single incident of a petrol fuelled Maruti 800 catching fire. Later learnt its a daily menace on the Manor-Dahisar stretch. Well from that day on, I drive extra careful.
dr.faramroze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2009, 09:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
They told me to open the bonnet, and they put a cloth on the ignition coil, and a huge flame erupted.
Shucks man! Things people will do for money. Good to know you are safe 'at least'.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Its very evident that thiefs/thugs are using smarter ways to get their work done.

On number plates, offlate have come across many cars which has very small plates, the size might be around 2inches heaight and 5-6inches width. until once goes very close you cant read the number and foget about getting the number when the vehicle is in motion... such vehicles cant be tracked if they are involved in any kind of illegal act...
Old 8th November 2013, 15:39   #36
BHPian

An episode narrated by my friend.This happened to him yesterday night on the route from electronics city to AECS layout near HSR area. At 9pm He was driving alone in his father-in-laws KL regd XUV5OO when he saw some men telling him to stop.Since they looked shady he didn't stop and moved on.Suddenly a mahindra jeep marked 'police' pulled in front of him and he had to stop.5 people came and started asking for his papers.He refused and asked why they wanted to see.Then they got aggressive and said that he would have to pay 50k for driving KL car in Bangalore.When he refused,one guy pulled out a gun and told him to get down.After a round of verbal abuse,they told him to withdraw money from the nearby ATM.he said he could only get 10k for which they agreed.

He couldn't take down the no of the vehicle which blocked him.
They did not see/take his jewellery
They did not take his phone
What could he have done in such a situation?
I am shaken.
Old 8th November 2013, 15:43   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Broad day light robbery at outer ring road Bangalore

My God. This is crazy.

I think the only solution for scenarios like this is that In-Dash Camera which will help record all events and might be of help in catching these criminals.

Has he lodged a complaint at all yet? At least the colour of the Jeep etc?
This may if nothing else, help the police be vigilant in this particular area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
An episode narrated by my friend.This happened to him yesterday night on the route from electronics city to AECS layout near HSR area. At 9pm He was driving alone in his father-in-laws KL regd XUV5OO when he saw some men telling him to stop.Since they looked shady he didn't stop and moved on.Suddenly a mahindra jeep marked 'police' pulled in front of him and he had to stop.5 people came and started asking for his papers.He refused and asked why they wanted to see.Then they got aggressive and said that he would have to pay 50k for driving KL car in Bangalore.When he refused,one guy pulled out a gun and told him to get down.After a round of verbal abuse,they told him to withdraw money from the nearby ATM.he said he could only get 10k for which they agreed.

He couldn't take down the no of the vehicle which blocked him.
They did not see/take his jewellery
They did not take his phone
What could he have done in such a situation?
I am shaken.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 15:49   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Electronics city - AECS layout area has junctions with CCTV cameras installed. Police will be able to get a rough description of the vehicle from the same if they are interested in the same.
Hope your friend reports this to police, even if the thugs are not caught it may help in creating an awareness.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 15:51   #39
BHPian

Quote:
An episode narrated by my friend.This happened to him yesterday night on the route from electronics city to AECS layout near HSR area. What could he have done in such a situation?
I am shaken.
Scary too say the least!
I think your friend did all the right things. Rather than putting up a fist fight with such goons, it is better to pay off. No point in getting physically hurt and especially when they have a gun. These people are also often under influence of alcohol or other drugs.

In-dash camera is in my opinion becoming a need of the day in India, seeing all the mugging, wrongfully claimed accidents, etc.

I hope your friend reported this to the police. This is very important no matter how lethargic our law system is. Reporting such incident might save someone's life.
Old 8th November 2013, 16:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Electronics city - AECS layout area has junctions with CCTV cameras installed. Police will be able to get a rough description of the vehicle from the same if they are interested in the same.
Hope your friend reports this to police, even if the thugs are not caught it may help in creating an awareness.
He doesn't want to report to police because he's worried that if his family comes to know,they will put a curfew for him!
To each his own,I guess.
The dashboard cam is a good idea
Also a 5k balance debit card for such 'special occasions' is also what I'm thinking of.
Pls inform all your friends about the dangers of travelling in the outer areas at night!

Last edited by nijelj : 8th November 2013 at 16:19.
Old 8th November 2013, 16:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Did this happen on the ring road stretch from Silk Board to Marthalli?
I thought traffic is high on that road at 9p being a weekday . Something like this would have for sure blocked traffic , if not slowed it down.

I travel back home post 12p and I am wondering now.
I keep mentioning 'pepper spray' to all the ladies I know who travel or walk alone.
I guess it is time I order one and suggest the same to others who travel odd times . Atleast it will work before someone pulls out a knife or gun.

Regards
Old 8th November 2013, 16:57   #42
BHPian

Sadly there is nothing one can do in such situations other than to comply.All the self defense courses teach that the first thing to do is to give up money /jewelry.

Sometimes $#!t just happens.

The only thing to do is to maybe dial a panic number or notice details of the car /perpetrators to make a complaint.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 17:17   #43
BHPian

Quote:
This happened to him yesterday night on the route from electronics city to AECS layout near HSR area. At 9pm He was driving alone in his father-in-laws KL regd XUV5OO when he saw some men telling him to stop.Since they looked shady he didn't stop and moved on.Suddenly a mahindra jeep marked 'police' pulled in front of him and he had to stop.5 people came and started asking for his papers.He refused and asked why they wanted to see.Then they got aggressive and said that he would have to pay 50k for driving KL car in Bangalore.When he refused,one guy pulled out a gun and told him to get down.A.
Good Lord! I'm shocked to hear this!

I'm even more shocked because I live in HSR Layout and also drive a KL registered XUV! I don't know what I would have done in that situation, perhaps would have told them to follow me to the police station and then actually go there!
Old 8th November 2013, 17:20   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He doesn't want to report to police because he's worried that if his family comes to know,they will put a curfew for him!
To each his own,I guess...
Sorry but this is ! So he is OK to let those guys go and give them (may be) another chance to rob him at gun point?!

It can happen that if they realize there are no reports against these guys, they may target these vehicles again knowing that they are scared.
Old 8th November 2013, 17:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Did this happen on the ring road stretch from Silk Board to Marthalli?
I thought traffic is high on that road at 9p being a weekday .

Regards
Not on the ring road.this was some interior route.kudlu road or nearby.
He was travelling to his home near kadubeesanahalli.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks