Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 14:44   #31
BHPian

How do you guys identify if the person behind you is a moron or in a hurry?
Old 11th September 2009, 14:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
He/she will flash lights, wont lift the hand from the horn and wont have any concept of "safe distance".
Old 14th September 2009, 07:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
He/she will flash lights, wont lift the hand from the horn and wont have any concept of "safe distance".
Good answer. The moron too will see the amber and make provisions to cross the white line asap by doing things that @amitoj said.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 14th September 2009 at 07:56.
Old 14th September 2009, 08:15   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I start slowing down if the traffic lights turn amber. I've found that that greatly improves my health as opposed to speeding up when the lights turn amber.
Old 18th September 2009, 17:28   #35
BHPian

I start slowing down when I see the traffic light turning amber.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:26   #36

I will slow down and make a stop hand signal if i can stop in time behind stop line when riding a bike. If i am in some speed and see big vehicles behind normally cross the amber light in car.

Vj
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

For me, i usually follow 2 ways:

1. If i am already too near the crossing to safely stop (read getting rear ended by someone) then i give a quick glance 2 ways and zip through.

2. If i see the lights turning amber before i have reached the STOP line then after giving a quick glance in RVM i brake and stop. Biggest fear here is guys who dont even want to wait for 80-100 secs but after banging someones cars can easily waste their 3-4 hours.
There is always a worry of getting rear ended in such scenario so noone should stomp on brakes after seeing the amber light. Either zip off or gradually stop.
You may have ABS and EBD but the guy behind may have a car with squeaking brakes (worn out pads)

In Delhi, most places have the timer clock installed which shows the seconds left so anyone can plan beforehand. The disadvantage is that those on red lights when they see 03 secs left to green they start moving which is a big danger.

If only 3-4 secs are left (timer blinks) then i stop, no risking on a cross section.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 23rd September 2009 at 00:05.
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:06   #38
BHPian

The place where I am, normally we dont have to worry about crossing at the Amber light. People from other side would have already started crossing if you side has the amber light turned on. So Amber means Red here. . So we have only two colors here. Red and Green.

I remember my moral education teacher telling us when I was in school that normally amber is for the vehicle who are near the signal and moving and will have very less time to break in time. People a little further from the signal who can stop in time without sudden breaking should slow down and stop. I wonder if many people know that. We have morons who instead of watching their side light, watch the light of the already moving traffic and start when they see that side turned Amber.
Old 24th September 2009, 09:22   #39
BHPian

+1 @ Atul-c. This is what Amber light means and That's what I do. If I am too close to stop I simply cruise through otherwise I stop (have no intentions to have my photo taken by red light camera and fine me $350 + photo processing charges + postage charges. On top of it -3 points on License ). Little effort made to apply brakes in time saves me (read it us ) from allot of troubles.

Last edited by Punzabi : 24th September 2009 at 09:23.
Old 24th September 2009, 09:38   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Lights change to Amber. Change down a gear or two depending on one's momentum, apply the brakes and come to a dead halt before the stop line.

if everyone of us were to follow this, life (at least in Bangalore) would be much nicer all around.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:22   #41
BANNED

I never try to jump Amber light increasing the speed for fear of some early birds starts to fly from the other sides. I always stop at amber lights without applying sudden brakes to avoid rear-ending.

1 more addition would be what do you do when you're the 1st at signal & the lights turn Green? Here also, I do not jump & do not take off very fast for fear of any laggards from other sides who wants to jump the amber light there in nick of time to cross the junction.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
1 more addition would be what do you do when you're the 1st at signal & the lights turn Green? Here also, I do not jump & do not take off very fast for fear of any laggards from other sides who wants to jump the amber light there in nick of time to cross the junction.
A four wheeler in Bangalore can never be the 1st at a signal. There will always be one or two 2 wheelers in front of that four wheeler.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Lights change to Amber. Change down a gear or two depending on one's momentum, apply the brakes and come to a dead halt before the stop line.

if everyone of us were to follow this, life (at least in Bangalore) would be much nicer all around.
Plus 1 to that.

Unless your speed is so high for teh given distance that one can not stop before the white line after seeing the Amber, one must slow down and stop. And this is the way it should be.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:46   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
A four wheeler in Bangalore can never be the 1st at a signal. There will always be one or two 2 wheelers in front of that four wheeler.
that was a real good one.
I can understand having driven in a similar city Ahmedabad
Old 24th September 2009, 14:35   #45
BHPian

Hello Gurus,

I'm new to driving, but as far as 'Amber' light is concerned, I start slowing down by showing my 'Right-Hand up' out of the window. Never tried to zip through the white line. if anybody honks, i also wave with Rt-hand as 'Kya' .
In Mumbai, we have signal timers, so it's esy to predict amber or green' red light from a distance.

Dev_Kudle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks