Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2009, 23:02   #1
BHPian

Oil Sump cleaner in Shell OMR

I wanted to change the engine oil in my Pulsar today and went to the Shell outlet in OMR near Big Bazaar in Bangalore. Since i asked for fully synthetic, I wanted to flush the engine with normal new oil before filling up Helix. So I asked the manager if he could do that. He then took my bike near a machine which which he said will clean the innards of the engine well and is better than flushing. It resembled a ventilator machine with a big tank on top, a motor and few assemblies on the bottom and flanked by clear glass jars on both sides with a lot of tubes springing out of them.

He hooked up a tube to the oil drain outlet in my pulsar and started the machine. Apparently, the machine has to build pressure first before it can be operated and IIRC it was about 600 bars (not sure if the unit was bars). Once the pressure has built up, it just sucks the sump dry and extracts all leftover oil. A lot of goo came out too. It apparently only sucks whatever is left there. He claimed that this is better than flushing and a sticker on the machine remarked that the machine was patented. Seems that this outlet is the first to get that machine and they're doing trial run on bikes first and plan to introduce that for cars by next month.

Has anybody else come across this machine anywhere? If you happen to drop into the shell bunk and just as luck would have it, if you wanted to change the engine oil, ask for this machine.

But personally, I was a little disappointed with Helix ultra. I felt absolutely no difference in the ride, rev or sound so far. I'll observe for a few more days.
Old 21st September 2009, 11:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

This sounds very interesting. I have heard about it for the first time. For cars the pressure required may be more. I shall try to find out here at major Shell outlets. Seems like some oil vaccum cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
I wanted to change the engine oil in my Pulsar today and went to the Shell outlet in OMR near Big Bazaar in Bangalore. Since i asked for fully synthetic, I wanted to flush the engine with normal new oil before filling up Helix. So I asked the manager if he could do that. He then took my bike near a machine which which he said will clean the innards of the engine well and is better than flushing. It resembled a ventilator machine with a big tank on top, a motor and few assemblies on the bottom and flanked by clear glass jars on both sides with a lot of tubes springing out of them.

He hooked up a tube to the oil drain outlet in my pulsar and started the machine. Apparently, the machine has to build pressure first before it can be operated and IIRC it was about 600 bars (not sure if the unit was bars). Once the pressure has built up, it just sucks the sump dry and extracts all leftover oil. A lot of goo came out too. It apparently only sucks whatever is left there. He claimed that this is better than flushing and a sticker on the machine remarked that the machine was patented. Seems that this outlet is the first to get that machine and they're doing trial run on bikes first and plan to introduce that for cars by next month.

Has anybody else come across this machine anywhere? If you happen to drop into the shell bunk and just as luck would have it, if you wanted to change the engine oil, ask for this machine.

But personally, I was a little disappointed with Helix ultra. I felt absolutely no difference in the ride, rev or sound so far. I'll observe for a few more days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks