Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2012, 23:06   #1366
BHPian

Anybody finding google live traffic updates in maps correct and useful ?
Old 6th September 2012, 23:31   #1367
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
But on the other hand, I believe that MTC bus drivers, if given well maintained, comfortable buses will surely be more well behaved drivers. I can understand the stress they must be going through to maintain time and driving in between such a chaos that too with a bus which has not many properly working electrical/mechanical components. Added to all these the poor drivers are asked to maintain a F.E of around 5 Kmpl which in my opnion adds to their stress levels.
Rightly said, my dear "Banned from India" friend. Just imagine their plight, having to negotiate the same traffic as we do, with a much bigger vehicle with non existent basic requirements(not comforts), doing 30 times of what we do everyday in our air conditioned cars and "I am a better driver than you" attitude (with our first car).
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 23:51   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Rightly said, my dear "Banned from India" friend.

Quote:
Just imagine their plight, having to negotiate the same traffic as we do, with a much bigger vehicle with non existent basic requirements(not comforts), doing 30 times of what we do everyday in our air conditioned cars and "I am a better driver than you" attitude (with our first car).
Long long ago, so long ago, I don't remember how long ago, when I used to be in India, I used to take 70D from Madipakkam to CMBT during weekends and in due course, we became good friends. He used to discuss with us the organisational/road issues en-route. It was during that time, when there was acute shortage of tyres, and I learned from him that MTC used to remove the tyres from the new JNNURM buses and fit them to the long distance ones like 70D, 154 and so on which earlier used to run on completely bald tyres. Especially the 70D was running all the way from Madipakkam till Ambattur O.T. with a punctured rear left inner for over a week. Because of this the driver used to drive it carefully, taking more than 2 hours rather than usual 1 - 1.5 hours and for which he had to lose some allowance.

The google maps traffic is to a certain extent good but I guess for seasonsed madrasi's like me (esteem sir, I guess you won't mind if I call myself seasonsed inspite of being banned from entering the city) know better or the usual bottle necks in the city. Moreover, as Boeingdriver was saying, its not that bad in chennai as compared to bangy/mum. There are only specific points which are bottlenecks.

Nice touch to the city. Seems like the old days are slowly coming back.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle3867293.ece

Quote:
MTC plans to introduce three dedicated drivers and conductors on each city route

Next time you are late to the bus stop, you might not have to run to make the conductor aware of your presence. The Metropolitan Transport Corporation’s (MTC) move to introduce three dedicated drivers and conductors on each route may prove beneficial to commuters, say sources.
There are over 740 MTC routes and over 50 lakh people commute by the buses everyday. To date, the driver and conductor are shuffled on a daily basis. The introduction of dedicated drivers would help the drivers keep themselves abreast of the condition of the bus.
“The driver will know if the clutch, brakes and other equipment are working. He will know the distance and timing between one stop and the next. He can also manage time well,” said a source.
Even the conductor would come to know the route well. “He will know at which stop there will be a large collection and at what time. He will also know the commuters well and know at what time each one of them waits at a particular stop. This will not only improve efficiency of the corporation, but also aid commuters,” said the source.
T. Ravi Kumar, president of All India Rail and Bus Passengers Association welcomed the move. “If the driver knows the faults of his vehicle, he can rectify it on time. This way, accidents will reduce,” he said.
He feels that if a conductor is introduced newly to a route, it would be difficult for him to consult the fare sheet and distribute tickets accordingly. “If he is a dedicated conductor, he will be able to distribute tickets faster and also have a good rapport with commuters,” he said.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th September 2012 at 23:06.
AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 12:40   #1369
BHPian

Superb move from mtc! I hope this move becomes a success .
By implementing this the stress on the drivers will reduce which will for sure lead to better road manners from them

Last edited by Anandv267 : 7th September 2012 at 12:43.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:57   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Nice touch to the city. Seems like the old days are slowly coming back. http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle3867293.ece
Seems to be a PR article. This is how MTC has been operating for ages. I travel by the same bus quite often and it's the same set of drivers and conductors who are rotated on a bi-weekly basis. And yes they do wait for a minute or two if you are a regular 'getting in' from the depot itself.
Old 7th September 2012, 13:00   #1371
BHPian

Seems a long time since the post started
Now that there is also the "Kutti Yaanai "to battle with the Chennai trafficking woes will be humongous to meet with.
Recently on Vadapalani-100 ft road a van carrying Saw dust killed a 12yr old boy (seems the driver took saw dust business to next level).
Bikers thrive on misconceived notion that once the front wheel finds a gap the entire bike will fit in (to quote in Chennai style-- cycle gap la auto otaradhu)
Old 7th September 2012, 15:46   #1372
BHPian

Today a concrete mixer truck had hit the median opposite Avichi school and tipped on its side blocking more than 70% of the road.

Wanted to take a snapshot but was too busy manoeuvring around the jam to get ahead (was already late for work).

Moreover the traffic cop was trying his best to get over the situation and ease the congestion.

I tell you what will happen next -
1. the damaged median will never be rebuilt
2. the damaged road will never be relaid (for a long time)
3. yet another trucker will do something simiar, on some other road, on some other day. No one is gonna be wiser.
4. Life will go on!

Cheers and Hip-hip hurray Chennai traffic.
Old 25th September 2012, 12:07   #1373
Senior - BHPian

At last at the SRP tools signal, saw a cop asking all people coming up the wrong side to go back. Watched with glee as all the 2 wheelers were made to go back. Some of them were even requesting the cop to allow them to pass!!!

Hope this lasts and is not a one time happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Anybody finding google live traffic updates in maps correct and useful ?
Yes, have used this feature on a few occasions and found the traffic update to be in sync with what is actually happening. Red really means you are going to get stuck in traffic. Good job I think by Google there

Last edited by arvind71181 : 25th September 2012 at 12:14.
Old 25th September 2012, 12:37   #1374
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
At last at the SRP tools signal, saw a cop asking all people coming up the wrong side to go back. Watched with glee as all the 2 wheelers were made to go back. Some of them were even requesting the cop to allow them to pass!!!

Hope this lasts and is not a one time happening
Even the traffic from Devar statue to Cenotaph Road-Chamiers Road signal, rightfully spills to the wrong lane. The Cop also doesnt bother to stop them.
Old 26th September 2012, 00:19   #1375
Senior - BHPian

When I was younger and travelled by the Sub-urban train, I used to see a lot of blind persons seeking alms and was surprised as I never see them in Bangalore.
Now I see a lot of unfortunate young and not so young persons who are deaf riding on 2 wheelers. They wear these bulky hearing aids and cannot hear when you honk at them. Sometimes they even talk to themselves.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 08:23   #1376
BHPian

This happened to me yesterday opposite to YMCA.

----
In anna salai, I had parked my car and was talking to my friend. A SI came and put locks to my wheel. I came and asked him for the challan. He forcefully attached the tow vehicle and demanded 100 for the offence + 375 rs for the towing charges. I was there near the vehicle and ready to pay the money for the offence but I dont understand why he should forcefully try to attach the towing van to my car and extort add. 375 rs from me.
----

Put it up in Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/chennaitraf...28707457155792

Ive planned to file a petition with Mr. Sanjay Arora who is the inspector of police - Traffic division in chennai. I don't mind paying the fine of 100 rs, but being extorted additional 375rs is uncalled for.
Old 14th October 2012, 11:29   #1377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX
This happened to me yesterday opposite to YMCA.

----
In anna salai, I had parked my car and was talking to my friend. A SI came and put locks to my wheel. I came and asked him for the challan. He forcefully attached the tow vehicle and demanded 100 for the offence + 375 rs for the towing charges. I was there near the vehicle and ready to pay the money for the offence but I dont understand why he should forcefully try to attach the towing van to my car and extort add. 375 rs from me.
----

Put it up in Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/chennaitraf...28707457155792

Ive planned to file a petition with Mr. Sanjay Arora who is the inspector of police - Traffic division in chennai. I don't mind paying the fine of 100 rs, but being extorted additional 375rs is uncalled for.
Hi mutantx

Over the last few days the traffic cops in Chennai seem to be going tough over the law and are trying to extort money to the max. Same way its giving room to a lot of bribe in the bargain.
Heavy patrolling is going on at ecr for speed check and sun film. I was myself caught for sun film and had to pay Rs100 as fine on ecr 3 days back.

Seems like someone has roughed up the cops to earn additional revenue for the state govt and they are doing brisk business.
Old 15th October 2012, 17:44   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
This should be interesting!
I think this would be a good forum to raise our voices against such practices.
All the best to you MutantX. Go get'em.
Old 16th October 2012, 01:10   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Early mornings on ECR is a different ball-game altogether as I learnt the Sunday before last when I did a quick trip to Pondy to meet a friend - left at 6AM and back in Chennai at 1PM.

Lot of cyclists riding down to Mahabs or maybe even further down to Pondy (?)
You also see super-bikes zipping past and ofcourse the super-cars. So much activity so early in the morning. Was amazing !!!
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 08:57   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
I was myself caught for sun film and had to pay Rs100 as fine on ecr 3 days back.
I thought Sun film is banned in Chennai - Can you clarify the same?
headers is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks