Team-BHP > Street Experiences


Reply
  Search this Thread
983,339 views
Old 11th December 2023, 18:45   #3646
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,547
Thanked: 5,616 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Thank you for the history. Was he the namesake for the zero point bridge?
Correct. Also a road near the high court is named after him.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 11:47   #3647
BHPian
 
searacer932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 939 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Is car parking available in Tambaram railway station? I did a google search and I could see from internet results that parking is available on both the east side and west side of the station however I could not find the exact location from the internet.

Appreciate if anyone could help to provide reference to google map location for car parking in Tambaram railway station. I will need to go there to pick up my family around 08ish tomorrow morning (1st Jan 2024)
searacer932 is offline  
Old 31st December 2023, 21:56   #3648
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 11,036
Thanked: 26,804 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Hole adjacent to Sai Baba Temple, Mylapore.

Yesterday, I just got past the digger (I'm surprised the whole road wasn't shut) and it seems like a huge hole. I'll avoid that area until it is filled and flat again.

Feedback on this from locals would be appreciated!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:08   #3649
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 778
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hole adjacent to Sai Baba Temple, Mylapore.

Yesterday, I just got past the digger (I'm surprised the whole road wasn't shut) and it seems like a huge hole. I'll avoid that area until it is filled and flat again.

Feedback on this from locals would be appreciated!
It has been happening everywhere now. Just last week, there was a hole near the Adyar Bridge near the flower shop. They quickly put a steel sheet on it and patched it up.

Like the tectonic plates, the ground slowly shifts over a period of time due to various causes - water ingress, under ground tunneling activity, settling of sedimentation - amongst others.
So far Madras has not claimed any lives due to such caving in.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 00:21   #3650
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 11,036
Thanked: 26,804 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hole adjacent to Sai Baba Temple, Mylapore.
It's filled in.

I passed by that way a couple of days ago, and the hole is gone. There is some obstruction from piles of soil.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 14:13   #3651
BHPian
 
saisree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: TN-11, AP-03
Posts: 945
Thanked: 2,445 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Is car parking available in Tambaram railway station? I did a google search and I could see from internet results that parking is available on both the east side and west side of the station however I could not find the exact location from the internet.

Appreciate if anyone could help to provide reference to google map location for car parking in Tambaram railway station. I will need to go there to pick up my family around 08ish tomorrow morning (1st Jan 2024)
I'm late here, but hope you found the parking in Tambaram. For the unknowns, on the eastern side, you have to take the first right immediately after the welcome arch and travel some 150 meters and you will find the parking lot in the right-hand side, Shaded with huge trees not covered though. Western parking is a bit packed and open towards the GST traffic,

Last edited by saisree : 5th January 2024 at 14:16.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 11:25   #3652
BHPian
 
searacer932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 939 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
I'm late here, but hope you found the parking in Tambaram. For the unknowns, on the eastern side, you have to take the first right immediately after the welcome arch and travel some 150 meters and you will find the parking lot in the right-hand side, Shaded with huge trees not covered though. Western parking is a bit packed and open towards the GST traffic,
Yes, I did on the Western side and as you rightly pointed out the car park on the Western side is a bit packed! I don't think it can accommodate more than 10-15 cars and one kind gentleman, with a smile on his face, helped me to a vacant spot .
searacer932 is offline  
Old 21st February 2024, 14:48   #3653
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,547
Thanked: 5,616 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I need to visit Thiruvanmiyur from Chromepet this evening via the OMR. I will cross OMR by 5.15 pm - 5.30 pm and will leave from Thiruvanmiyur by same route around 8.30 pm.

Can someone please update likely traffic conditions in OMR, with the metro rail work going on? If conditions will be very severe I will rather take a cab than drive. I have not taken the route for more than a year.

Edit : Are they toll plazas active now?

Last edited by Gansan : 21st February 2024 at 14:51.
Gansan is offline  
Old 21st February 2024, 15:46   #3654
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 487 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I need to visit Thiruvanmiyur from Chromepet this evening via the OMR. I will cross OMR by 5.15 pm - 5.30 pm and will leave from Thiruvanmiyur by same route around 8.30 pm.
Edit : Are they toll plazas active now?
Traffic on OMR is pathetic nowadays, but you can avoid it by taking left from Kamakshi Hospital while you are coming from Chromepet, and approach OMR via Velachery. In that way, you will only face OMR traffic from Holiday Inn hotel to Tidel park signal, which is manageable.

While returning, take the same route in the other direction. Avoid OMR as much as possible.

Also, toll plazas on OMR are not functional now.

Last edited by DocwithFiesta : 21st February 2024 at 15:53.
DocwithFiesta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 15:58   #3655
BHPian
 
raptor_diwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: MAS
Posts: 818
Thanked: 3,755 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I need to visit Thiruvanmiyur from Chromepet this evening via the OMR. I will cross OMR by 5.15 pm - 5.30 pm and will leave from Thiruvanmiyur by same route around 8.30 pm.

Can someone please update likely traffic conditions in OMR, with the metro rail work going on? If conditions will be very severe I will rather take a cab than drive. I have not taken the route for more than a year.

Edit : Are they toll plazas active now?
No, the toll plazas are not operational at the moment. During the 5:30 period, there shouldn't be heavy traffic, but there might be some due to ongoing metro work. However, it's not expected to be excessively congested.

You can easily pass BSR Mall. After passing the mall, stay on the left side, as vehicles often wait for a U-turn on the right, causing some minor traffic. Besides that, there shouldn't be many issues. The route you are taking is not anticipated to have heavy traffic. You can use your own vehicle without much concern.

You also have the option of taking the Velachery route from Kamakshi. However, I've noticed that sometimes I feel more stuck there than on OMR. Although OMR experiences traffic, the flow is generally consistent, and you won't find yourself halted in the same spot for an extended period after making it as one way in BSR ( Thoraipakkam ) signal.
raptor_diwan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 12:03   #3656
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 823
Thanked: 2,453 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I was in Chennai last week and the cops have done a good job of streamlining the traffic on OMR.

They have removed signals in many of the choke points like Perungudi, thoraipakkam, Sholinganallur and eliminated the right turns. One has to go ahead straight, take a U turn and then take left. This has kept the traffic flowing even in peak hours.
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 17:42   #3657
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 11,036
Thanked: 26,804 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
They have removed signals in many of the choke points like Perungudi ...
This is my back yard! Traffic has been crippled by the metro works. It can take half an hour just to do the u-turn (back towards Adyar) at Lifeline (now Apollo) hospital. If they have disabled the signals there, flow may be better. But if one has to go further before being able to make the u-turn, I'll continue to completely avoid it.

(My perspective is coming from Palavakkam side, over Kandanchavadi canal bridge, to join south-bound carriage-way of OMR)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 12:45   #3658
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 778
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I was fined Rs.500/- for having a number plate with different sized letters. When they started penalizing vehicles for having stickers of Police/Army/CBI/NSA/Local Dons/Mafiosi etc, they suddenly developed a passion for enforcing vague tenets of the law.

I am not cribbing about the fine - but what I can't understand is I have been having the same number plates for the last 15 years without any issue.

A trip to General Patters road is on the cards - procure a HS number plates with IND on it.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 14:22   #3659
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,966
Thanked: 9,170 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

HSRP is only available at the RTO - the "IND" available in GP road is a fake.

So far if you have plates with the standard font rather than "German" or other fancy fonts, they are not penalising you. Other fonts are being caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I was fined Rs.500/- for having a number plate with different sized letters. When they started penalizing vehicles for having stickers of Police/Army/CBI/NSA/Local Dons/Mafiosi etc, they suddenly developed a passion for enforcing vague tenets of the law.

I am not cribbing about the fine - but what I can't understand is I have been having the same number plates for the last 15 years without any issue.

A trip to General Patters road is on the cards - procure a HS number plates with IND on it.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 13:37   #3660
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 778
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
HSRP is only available at the RTO - the "IND" available in GP road is a fake.
There is an issue with vehicles without HSRP or at least what looks like HSRP. I was stopped by cops for not sporting HSRP. I explained that this rule is not implemented in Tamil Nadu now. Then the SI advised me to go to GP road and get a fake HSRP plate to keep them happy. Some states expect uniform number plates with specified fonts/size.

I got the number plates made with IND and a hologram sticker for rs.600/-

You know about a Tamil movie in which Vivek will show a clutch of number plates in different colors and tells the cop - I have made them in all colors and sizes.Once you decide what is the right one, I will fix it.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks