Team-BHP > Street Experiences


Reply
  Search this Thread
990,841 views
Old 2nd October 2022, 11:05   #3526
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,561
Thanked: 5,646 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
Can anyone suggest a good local cab service for a day's trip within Chennai (Other than Uber/Ola rentals) - one that would be preferable for a senior citizen couple.
Name : Anbu
Mobile : 9080890341

Known and reliable cabbie, caring and experienced in taking very sr.citizen parents of NRIs around the city.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 01:47   #3527
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 11,093
Thanked: 27,354 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Ashamed to say that my non-driving wife seems to know more about this than I do.

PUC certificate. Is it true that, right now, I cannot buy fuel without one? I heard something, and wife said, oh yes, one of her auto drivers had to go to a pump where a friend works.

So I guess it is true --- and I have to use the remaining litres of diesel in the tank finding and getting one.
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 14th October 2022, 10:20   #3528
Senior - BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 1,711 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ashamed to say that my non-driving wife seems to know more about this than I do.

PUC certificate. Is it true that, right now, I cannot buy fuel without one? I heard something, and wife said, oh yes, one of her auto drivers had to go to a pump where a friend works.

So I guess it is true --- and I have to use the remaining litres of diesel in the tank finding and getting one.
I filled up just yesterday and there was no one asking for the PUC. So probably happening at select pumps only?
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 10:22   #3529
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,561
Thanked: 5,646 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

^^ I lived at Bangalore between 2000 - 2005 and the PUC certificate was regularly checked. I moved back to ChennaI in 2006 and it never was checked even once in all these years. I was doing the checks on my own, then the testing centres also closed down and I never bothered afterwards. It is compulsory only when renewing the registration of a vehicle. We have to do a test at that time and pay a green tax.

If the authorities are really enforcing puc certification in Chennai I will faint!

I filled my bike on Wednesday and my car yesterday. No questions asked!

Last edited by Gansan : 14th October 2022 at 10:25.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 11:15   #3530
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Chennai
Posts: 581
Thanked: 2,865 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

PUC certificate. Is it true that, right now, I cannot buy fuel without one? I heard something, and wife said, oh yes, one of her auto drivers had to go to a pump where a friend works.
Last I know, it was planned to be rolled out in Delhi. I don't see anything of this sort in Chennai or Hyderabad.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 12:30   #3531
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 11,093
Thanked: 27,354 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Thanks guys. I had read some news a while back that at some date soon, "no PUC, no fuel."

So, today, first I try to buy fuel, which I need. If I get it, then I will, some time, get the PUC.
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 14th October 2022, 16:45   #3532
BHPian
 
hamster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: CSK
Posts: 167
Thanked: 190 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks guys. I had read some news a while back that at some date soon, "no PUC, no fuel."

So, today, first I try to buy fuel, which I need. If I get it, then I will, some time, get the PUC.
This could very well be another way of "extracting" money from in terms of cross selling.

While there are very few petrol stations in Chennai which offer the PUC option, what if we choose to fuel in a station which doesnt offer a PUC ?

On the same ground, I have known only two Petrol stations which does PUC (one IOCL on the way to airport adjacent to the Trident Hotel Signal) and another COCO IOCL in Adyar. Noticed that the PUC bunk in COCO Adyar IOCL was closed couple of months back, when I had to fill fuel for my scooter and last week when I was there around in the neighborhood, saw that opened again.
hamster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 17:59   #3533
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TN 14
Posts: 71
Thanked: 77 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
On the same ground, I have known only two Petrol stations which does PUC (one IOCL on the way to airport adjacent to the Trident Hotel Signal) and another COCO IOCL in Adyar. Noticed that the PUC bunk in COCO Adyar IOCL was closed couple of months back, when I had to fill fuel for my scooter and last week when I was there around in the neighborhood, saw that opened again.
There is one PUC centre attached to the IOCL petrol station on Velachery to Tambaram road in Pallikaranai. Lakshmikantam Service Station:
https://goo.gl/maps/tzsMngZF7iNq72pL6

Cheers
Ram
marsbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 18:48   #3534
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Chennai
Posts: 581
Thanked: 2,865 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
This could very well be another way of "extracting" money from in terms of cross selling.
.
Not to forget that most centers already fleece you by charging 200 INR for the actual charge of 50 INR.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 22:14   #3535
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 11,093
Thanked: 27,354 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
charging 200 INR for the actual charge of 50 INR.
OK... add me to the fleeced.

1. Went to our local bunk and bought a tankful of diesel. No mention of PUC.

2. Went to nearest PUV tester I found on Google Maps: LB Road, Sastri Nagar.

The guy seemed to be thorough, but hey, what do I know, this is the second time ever I've done this.

He put some sensor in the engine, and the thing inside the exhaust pipe. After getting me to rev up, three times, he went in his hut for a few minutes and then gave me the certificate, pointing out that it is valid for one year. And charged me 200Rs.

Anyway, now I don't have to worry about it.

Oh! Wait! I suppose it was a pass: I was on my way somewhere and haven't even read it!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th October 2022 at 22:15.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 13:33   #3536
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 779
Thanked: 1,356 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Not to forget that most centers already fleece you by charging 200 INR for the actual charge of 50 INR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
OK... add me to the fleeced.
Where does it say that the PUC charge is Rs.50, Ravichandran ? I get the PUC every year whenever I go to other states and I was always charged Rs.200/- for diesel cars.
They give you a certificate with your car's photo attached and the pollution data neatly printed. That can't be done for Rs.50 surely.
Prowler is offline  
Old 15th October 2022, 16:23   #3537
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Chennai
Posts: 581
Thanked: 2,865 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Where does it say that the PUC charge is Rs.50, Ravichandran ? I get the PUC every year whenever I go to other states and I was always charged Rs.200/- for diesel cars.
They give you a certificate with your car's photo attached and the pollution data neatly printed. That can't be done for Rs.50 surely.
Prices of PUC testing is governed by state governments and hence it is different in each state. KA recently revised as per PUC thread. It is still around 120 INR for petrol cars. But TN didn't revised it for ages. It is still measly 30 INR for 2 wheeler and 50 INR for cars. You can check this in the certificate issued. But wait, they will put a seal exactly on the price section to mask it. This is a long running scam. Next time ask the certificate before they add the seal or look closely. When I confronted, I was told the cut goes to RTO too.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 16:33   #3538
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 11,093
Thanked: 27,354 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I don't actually begrudge it. The guy was not exactly busy, and given that something like 80 or 90 per cent of us never get it done, I don't suppose it's a lucrative business. I have to wonder why they even bother!
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 16th October 2022, 08:40   #3539
BHPian
 
careind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: chennai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 382 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I got the PUC certificate recently for my Rapid in Chennai. They quoted and got Rs.80 from me and gave me a bill for Rs.60.
The status also gets updated in the vaahan portal and is visible in the parivahan app.
careind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 10:13   #3540
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Chennai
Posts: 581
Thanked: 2,865 Times
re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
I got the PUC certificate recently for my Rapid in Chennai. They quoted and got Rs.80 from me and gave me a bill for Rs.60.
The status also gets updated in the vaahan portal and is visible in the parivahan app.
Which testing centre it is?
thanixravindran is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks