Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2023, 15:56   #3601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
five automated number plate recognition cameras have been installed ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Sir, this Times of India news is from July-2021, not July-2023!
What's the up-to-date news? Are they still working?
Old 27th July 2023, 10:49   #3602
BHPian

Guy, How on earth are you all tackling the OMR traffic, especially near the notorious BSR Mall Thoraipakkam, during the evening hours? How's ECR traffic in such time ?
Old 27th July 2023, 12:30   #3603
BHPian

Quote:
Guy, How on earth are you all tackling the OMR traffic, especially near the notorious BSR Mall Thoraipakkam, during the evening hours? How's ECR traffic in such time ?
Do an early start. I start before 03:30 from office at Karapakkam and the mess is relatively less. Just yesterday I started a bit late at 04:30 and had to encounter the pile up at BSR Mall junction and even at the old Toll with all College Buses occupying all the lanes.

ECR will be mostly moving traffic.
Old 31st July 2023, 13:01   #3604
BHPian

If you arrive at the BSR mall going North (i.e you are travelling from Sholinganallur to BSR Mall) and want to go towards Chennai One (towards Palanikarai), there is small side road, off the service road that leads to Geetham restaurant, that dives down and comes to the Palanikarai main road, just before the tolls.

If you enter the service road slightly before the Geetham entry point, you will save quite some time.

For those crossing BSR Mall towards TIDEL, reaching there by 5pm, prayers, work emails, connecting with your loved ones, taking conscious left-lane, right-lane decisions and living with the consequences, would be the order of the day.
Old 31st July 2023, 21:18   #3605
BHPian

Or else, consider a two wheeler for commute till the metro work is over. Makes considerable difference in the travel time compared to a car. Waiting for the day when metro is up and running and a stress free travel.
Old 31st July 2023, 23:36   #3606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The most oversimplistic answer is timings. You either commute early morning to early afternoon or noon-9 sort of timings. Even here, I look at Google Map ETA for my route and decide.

Taking ECR will depend on your end points. In general, mornings are relatively better through ECR than OMR for Sholinganallur to Tharamani.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 15:19   #3607
BHPian

Quote:
This would entirely depend on your start / end points and your timings. There are alternate roads available including ECR. If you have no choice then timing is the key. Cross before 0800 hrs., between 1100 - 1500 hrs. or after 2100 hrs.
ksmrsm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 18:07   #3608
BHPian

Quote:
Being fortunate that my commute stops just before the Thoraipakkam signal. As the real estate developers say, I'm currently being comfortable with an Off-OMR commute. But I do get caught up in the notorious Kamatchi Hospital signal often.
Old 16th August 2023, 21:30   #3609

Chennai to host a Formula 4 night race on December 9th and 10th. Street circuit and a night race, never imagined I'd see this in Chennai.
Yes it's F4, but still.

https://twitter.com/UpdatesChennai/s...446650472?s=20
Old 1st September 2023, 11:48   #3610
BHPian

Yesterday I was stopped by a posse of traffic cops under the pretext that my number plates were not HSRP. I told the inspector that Tamil Nadu has given extension to this law.
He took my driving license and checked it in his handheld device and returned it. After some hesitation, they let me go.

It is not clear how many states have started fining the vehicles as only in Delhi and UP , they are collecting fines.

What is the status for Southern states ?
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 23:59   #3611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It was only a matter of time. I remember reading this article when it came out -> https://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...s-2588043.html

If your plates are HSRP, then you don't need to worry. Else, you really need to get that done ASAP. Extension or not, when police are increasingly in the mode of fine you first, let you explain later, the onus of getting that penalty cleared would be on you.

Last edited by Small Bot : 2nd September 2023 at 00:01.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 21:18   #3612
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Yesterday I was stopped by a posse of traffic cops under the pretext that my number plates were not HSRP. I told the inspector that Tamil Nadu has given extension to this law.
He took my driving license and checked it in his handheld device and returned it. After some hesitation, they let me go.

It is not clear how many states have started fining the vehicles as only in Delhi and UP , they are collecting fines.

As per Chennai traffic police X handle, vehicles registered after November 2021 should have HSRP. They are imposing fines for number plate violation for post Nov 2019 vehicles. What is your vehicle category?

I think no vendor is identifed yet for Pre 2019 registered vendors in TN. See the other thread for KA which now have mandated to all KA registered vehicles and deadline is this year November to affix HSRP.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 21:52   #3613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
As per Chennai traffic police X handle, vehicles registered after November 2021 should have HSRP. They are imposing fines for number plate violation for post Nov 2019 vehicles. What is your vehicle category?
Mine is a 14 year Safari. I have heard unofficially that they are not enforcing this law for pre 2021 vehicles in Tamil Nadu. They have literally thousands of public vehicles as well as 2 wheelers with normal number plates. I have been traveling all over South India without being flagged till that day.

I found this RTO website which says that in a roundabout way.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_1343.png  

Last edited by Prowler : 2nd September 2023 at 21:53.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 22:42   #3614
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Mine is a 14 year Safari. I have heard unofficially that they are not enforcing this law for pre 2021 vehicles in Tamil Nadu. They have literally thousands of public vehicles as well as 2 wheelers with normal number plates.
It is from April 2019 as TN amended the MV act. Sorry for the mistake in my previous post. Here is the link to the tweet by GCTP

https://twitter.com/ChennaiTraffic/s...YrF8zq-Uw&s=19

Screenshot below
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-screenshot_20230902_223813_x.jpg  

thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 01:59   #3615
BHPian

Why does Chennai Traffic Police randomly stop automobiles and bikes at odd hours of the night, and ask driver their details like name destination, phone numbers and take photos and record them in in their notebooks, mobiles?

What legal justification does the government have for allowing this kind of surveillance?
I heard smilar tales from Ahmedabad. It’s nothing but illegal surveillance and inspiration is from China it seems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks