Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2024, 12:25   #3661
BHPian

Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I was in Chennai last week and the cops have done a good job of streamlining the traffic on OMR.

They have removed signals in many of the choke points like Perungudi, thoraipakkam, Sholinganallur and eliminated the right turns. One has to go ahead straight, take a U turn and then take left. This has kept the traffic flowing even in peak hours.
The following 4 changes have significantly contributed to reduction in congestion on OMR. These changes should continue to exist.

1. Removal of toll plaza in Thoraipakkam & Perungudi
2. Removal of toll plaza in Navalur
3. A round-about style traffic movement in Sholinganallur junction (This is the no#1 change that reduced congestion)
4. A round-about style traffic movement in OMR-Pallavaram road junction (This is another critical change)

All of these together is easily saving me 30 minutes of travel time everyday!

Kudos to whomsoever who thought about items 3 & 4.
searacer932 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 14:25   #3662
BHPian

Speed camera on Adyar bridge:

I got a SMS with a hyperlink from Parivahaan. On opening the link, it had a photo of my car and driver stating an over speeding offence. It appears that a speed camera(similar to the ones in anna nagar & ecr) has been fit just before the bus lane when traveling from malar hospital to andhra mahila sabha. That stretch is one of the rare spots in chennai where one can accelerate a bit during non peak hours...this is such a kill joy...otherwise one is always pottering around town at 35kmph....

Am yet to truly understand the merits of a speed limit of 50kmph???
Desmodromic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 19:01   #3663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
Speed camera on Adyar bridge
Oops! I am not very respectful of speed limits crossing when crossing the bridge. Thanks for the warning. I'd better slow down.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 08:29   #3664
Senior - BHPian

Is the Nemilicherry-Pattabiram bridge open? I saw one way traffic of bikes from Nemilicherry side riding the bridge. Didn't see any cars from that side. If yes it would avoid the detour via Soranjeri to Outer Ring Road.
Old 30th June 2024, 14:51   #3665
BHPian

My observation on a Sunday early morning drive today -

Have to drop my wife at Pallikaranai Marsh land park for her bird watching trip early in the morning. I drove from Medavakkam side and saw a vegetable van literally flying in the Kamatchi hospital flyover and due to the undulations in joints, a huge roll lifted up and fell on the road. I was afraid that it is someone sleeping with a blanket have fallen but it turned out to be curry leaves roll A sand truck behind the van too stopped, driver got down and tossed it back. All is well.

After dropping my wife, on the return, saw the regular sight of MTC busses racing against each other even in the narrow parts of road bullying all other vehicles. Now there is a walkathon about environmental awareness happening at same time with many walking on the road with banners and road became even smaller. One MTC bus nearly mowed down the event walkers and got an earful from the police managing the event.

Since traffic started building up due to the event, some smart alecs now started driving in the opposite direction. I was expecting an accident and sooner than later it happened. A goods van tried to merge back in one opening and crashed into a milk boy in TVS50 coming in the correct direction. He was not hurt but the bike is damaged. One policeman went to handle it and directed all the wrong side driving vehicles to turn around. This created a small traffic jam in the opposite side also.

All of this in just 60 mins of driving in that stretch. I thought early morning will be a enjoyable relaxed drive (that road is always choked) but there are enough idiots at all times in the road.
thanixravindran is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 12:39   #3666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
My observation on a Sunday early morning drive today -
Medavakkam <-> Pallikaranai one of the the most dreaded stretch in the Tambaram Velachery main road. The road is being exploited by the Highways dept, TANGEDCO, Water works and encroachments. Its literally ruined by all these authorities.

TN Govt has said that, they will be completing the widening of this stretch to its full form by end of this December and there are no signs of it.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st July 2024 at 13:05. Reason: Language toned down
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 08:49   #3667
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is new and interesting - a case of road rage by a security guard!

As you may know, there are road works happening near Nungambakkam. I had to drop someone off near Ispahani, and I parked on the road near the mall soon after the works stopped. There was a car ahead of me, seemed to be dropping off someone to go to the college. That car, which was there for longer than me, was left unbothered, but the security guys came and told me to stop near the dustbins for future drop-offs. I protested saying I don't want to drop people off right next to a dustbin.

There appears to be a bus stop ahead of the dustbins, so I inquire what the problem is: after all, this is a public road, I'm not halting traffic (only the construction works behind me), I am neither parking nor am I anywhere close to the gate, that guy stopped just ahead of me, and Ispahani centre is closed at this time of the day and the gates are closed and locked anyway!

To my surprise, I was not offered an explanation, but a threat! Translated - "Lakhs of people park at the dustbin. You can stop here, but stop here again and you'll see what we do about it."

What?!

Last edited by rkv_2401 : 5th July 2024 at 08:50.
rkv_2401 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 10:09   #3668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
To my surprise, I was not offered an explanation, but a threat! Translated - "Lakhs of people park at the dustbin. You can stop here, but stop here again and you'll see what we do about it."

What?!
Not justifying their action, but I guess they're solely doing what is being asked of them by the bosses of GCC, the mall & Traffic Police. These poor guys are the lowest in the food chain taking all the grunt.

My office is in Haddows road and to cross this road is a nightmare on my way back home. You can witness people with absolutely 0 common sense criss crossing roads with no regards for rules, civic sense, patience.

Again, not justifying their words - they're under a lot of stress like ever other road user in India right now due to crippling infrastructure.
Old 5th July 2024, 10:21   #3669
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I understand that it must be a difficult situation for them, but why fight with someone who's there for a 5-second drop off? The only effects that had were irking me and extending the amount of time I was there in front of that gate. And why me but not the guy who got there before me, who was there for longer?

If you're familiar with the area, do you have any suggestions on where to stop? The area after the gate (dustbins) used to be a towing zone, and if I went any further I'd hinder the buses from getting into the bus stop.
Old 7th July 2024, 11:39   #3670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
do you have any suggestions on where to stop?
Drive into the mall premises through the in gate, drop off your passenger and then move out. Wouldn't that be more safer.
gotoguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 08:58   #3671
Senior - BHPian

It looks like 2nd GST arm and overhead rotary of Perungalathur flyover might open in a months' time. The long pending road laying work on the Shriram Park end is being done.

Funny thing is, except for office timings the stretch is a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Medavakkam <-> Pallikaranai one of the the most dreaded stretch in the Tambaram Velachery main road.
I dread the entire road . I look for ways to avoid crossing Pallikaranai.
Old 11th July 2024, 15:32   #3672
BHPian

There was a feasibility study to be conducted for a Light Metro Rail between Tambaram Velachery cutting the Medavakkam Metro and joining the Velachery - Beach MRTS. This would reduce lot of traffic and ease the road.

https://chennaimetrorail.org/wp-cont...09.11.2019.pdf
Old 8th August 2024, 20:46   #3673
BHPian

For a while now the major roads in Chennai are going through a change wherein most traffic signals are being replaced with U-turns in an attempt to reduce traffic jams. While the idea is good and I can see flowing traffic even on Anna Salai during rush hour, there has to be some thought in where the U-turns are built. This one near the Alandur metro station has to be the worst placed of all U-turns. They have placed barricades which come at you without any warning while you are navigating a bend!

This is just an accident waiting to happen! This road is usually where people tend to speed and they are just not going to have enough time to stop.

esoticoreventon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 10:42   #3674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
For a while now the major roads in Chennai are going through a change wherein most traffic signals are being replaced with U-turns in an attempt to reduce traffic jams. While the idea is good and I can see flowing traffic even on Anna Salai during rush hour, there has to be some thought in where the U-turns are built. This one near the Alandur metro station has to be the worst placed of all U-turns. They have placed barricades which come at you without any warning while you are navigating a bend!

This is just an accident waiting to happen! This road is usually where people tend to speed and they are just not going to have enough time to stop.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=tLynxcTQRrk
This is by far the most dimwitted execution of a U Turn slot I have seen in a long long time. What in the world happened to common sense ?
Old 27th August 2024, 12:19   #3675
BHPian

Any one driving from and to Porur/Ponnamallee/SRMC beware of this detour. Its only going to make the travel longer .

Detour ahead: Traffic diversion at Porur.
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks