Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2014, 12:41   #2146
Team-BHP Support

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I am driving down from Hyderabad to Chennai. I will be entering the city from AH45 (NH5).

What is the best way to get to Adyar?

Once I reach the Madhavaram Roundabout, do I continue straight thru Moolakadai and reach Chennai Central via Basin Bridge.
OR
Do I turn right at the roundabout and proceed towards Guindy via Anna Nagar and Ashok Nagar.

I will most probably reach this area around 3 PM.

Last edited by bblost : 17th April 2014 at 12:49.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 13:08   #2147
BHPian

I can just give you brief outline of thr anna nagar roads is that there are a slightly high number of diversions and the roads are a bit bad. You could try coming from Redhills -> Madhavaram -> Perambur and go through mylapore and end up in Adyar after crossing the adyar bridge.
Arch-Angel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 13:34   #2148
Senior - BHPian

From the round about take the right towards Koyambedu, Guindy, Madhya Kailash and then Adyar. You wouldn't want to get stuck in city traffic after driving all the way from Hyderabad. This route has traffic that keeps moving at a steady pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I am driving down from Hyderabad to Chennai. I will be entering the city from AH45 (NH5).

Once I reach the Madhavaram Roundabout, do I continue straight thru Moolakadai and reach Chennai Central via Basin Bridge.
OR
Do I turn right at the roundabout and proceed towards Guindy via Anna Nagar and Ashok Nagar.

anachronix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 22:15   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OR

I would suggest option 2 (turn right at Madhavaram roundtana).

The diversion in Anna Nagar area mentioned by Arch-Angel is given below :

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Redh...691658!3e0!5i1

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-mapannanagardiversion.jpg

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 17th April 2014 at 22:18.
Blue Thunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 15:48   #2150
BHPian

After driving all the way I am sure u would want to get to Adyar asap. And I live in Adyar, so I guess I would qualify to answer this better. Pls do not enter Anna Nagar. You will reach adyar only for dinner.

Once you get to the outskirts. Pass the Puzhal Jail. There would be a intersection that would take you on to the 'Chennai Bypass' Road, Get on to the road. And exit at Porur to your left. Then its pretty much a straight shot.
Puzhal-Chennai Bypass-Left at Porur-Kathipara-Guindy-Adyar. Yes. This is at-least 10 kms more. But its worth it. From Puzhal you make it in 45 mins flat to Adyar. Other routes would be hellish after your long drive from Hyd.

Pls refer the link

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=1&t=m&z=14

Quote:

OR

Last edited by Archish : 19th April 2014 at 15:52.
Old 19th April 2014, 16:05   #2151
Team-BHP Support

Thanks everyone.
I reached home after driving down thru Anna Nagar.

Total time was ten and half hours.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 16:28   #2152
Senior - BHPian

When the barricades proved dangerous

A few weeks ago, an MTC bus nudged a bike on which 2 young boys had hitched a ride. While the rider fell off the road, the 2 kids unfortunately fell on the road and got run over by the bus. An avoidable loss of 2 young lives (less than 10 years old) on the relatively wide road off OMR adjacent to Satyabhama college (Kumaran Nagar to Chemmancheri). The locals staged a big protest, had the Tasmac shop on the road shut-down (citing overcrowding of customers on the road, leading to traffic congestion) & under pressure, CCTP did what they do best - installed barricades on the road (though only on the side the accident happened), which is intended as an attempt to slow down traffic, but which in reality leads to either :
- folks using it to perfect their slalom technique, during low-traffic hours.
- traffic jams in peak hours + a hazard-source for motorists.

Anyway, last week (17-Apr) around 11AM, I am driving to work and see this scene where the barricades were put up. The accident had just happened, though I am not sure of the sequence of events. Anyway, the biker seems to have hit the barricade at speed and skidded off - it is the guy standing near the bike with his hands to his face from where he was bleeding. The impact was high enough to break off one of the legs of the barricade, as you can see in the pic.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-20140417_105659.jpg

We could argue about the cause - biker was speeding or even drunk (too early in the day for it though) etc, but it remains that these obstacles are not only not the solution, but end up being a problem themselves.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 17:00   #2153
BHPian

Re: When the barricades proved dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
....:
- folks using it to perfect their slalom technique, during low-traffic hours.
- traffic jams in peak hours + a hazard-source for motorists.

Anyway, last week (17-Apr) around 11AM, I am driving to work and see this scene where the barricades were put up. The accident had just happened, though I am not sure of the sequence of events. Anyway, the biker seems to have hit the barricade at speed and skidded off - it is the guy standing near the bike with his hands to his face from where he was bleeding. The impact was high enough to break off one of the legs of the barricade, as you can see in the pic.

We could argue about the cause - biker was speeding or even drunk (too early in the day for it though) etc, but it remains that these obstacles are not only not the solution, but end up being a problem themselves.
As an occasional biker, where I take my Classic 500 to Navalur, I dread seeing these barricades. It builds a artificial congestion, since the buses, 4 wheeler, 3 wheeler and 2 wheeler all want to cross it at the same time, which aggravates the congestion, apart from the risk mentioned!!
Old 29th April 2014, 13:44   #2154
Senior - BHPian

It is the positioning of these barricades (one each on the outer 2 lanes) that makes the motorists on all lanes converge to the centre lane, creating the artificial congestion.
Something which should be the last thing seen on such fine roads, which ironically were built to enable smooth flow of traffic.

I would rather they instead bring in traffic lights at reasonable intervals on the road - atleast pedestrians can cross the road safely without wondering whether the speeding
car/truck/bus will stop or not for them to cross. The safest option would obviously be subways, which would also not inconvenience motorised traffic.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 15:45   #2155
BHPian

It makes some sense ( I still dont see how) to have the barricades when the road is free. But I am really not sure how it helps at peak times like 17:30 to 22:00hrs. during these times the road is already on bumper to bumper traffic now adding the barricades only adds sadistic pleasure in my opinion..

A friend of mine mentioned about an accident where the crash guard of a bike which was negotiating a barricade came in contact with one of the staff bus leading to the motorist falling down, and the bus running over his forearm leaving shreds to connect the palm to the hand!! I do see a lot of accidents happening on the OMR, which should get some smart brains to think of a workable solution, other than barricades or drums.
raghu.t.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 16:23   #2156
BHPian

I am sorry to hear about the loss of life. I frequent this road and I have seen people easily doing 80+ kms in this stretch. Instead of having barricades they should have created speed breakers (not the hill type ones ) with proper markers. The downside is that this stretch does not have enough lighting during the night, which might turn in to a death trap for all those F1 rally wanna be drivers.

I had my share of scare on this road, thanks to the apartment complex which is right on it. The vehicles/people coming out of that apartment directly enter the traffic without looking out for oncoming vehicles in order to take a U turn.

In addition to this rant, they have also installed these barricades in the Medavakkam Sholinganallur road creating artificial traffic jams. The two lane road was already reduced to 1 1/2 lane road thanks to parking of vehicles. Now with the barricade they have effectively made it as 1 lane road.
ElantraGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 09:06   #2157
Senior - BHPian

Blast in Chennai Central Railway station. One killed. Several injured.
Old 4th May 2014, 21:09   #2158
Senior - BHPian

I have a very silly question. Why do so many private and taxi cab vehicles have their wheel caps secured using uncut cable ties? It makes no aesthetic sense to me! Can someone please explain? I want to understand whats happening here.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 21:25   #2159
VKS
BHPian

^^ Mainly Toyota . Seems the service centre is providing them the genius idea of keeping the wheels caps from falling off .
VKS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 23:09   #2160
Distinguished - BHPian

In UK, people do it as a theft deterrent, but if someone really wants those hub caps, they just cut the ties. That happened to my girlfriend: they took all four!

I wonder, here, if they sometimes spring off on pot holes and uneven ground, as those guys don'e slow down for anything?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks