Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2014, 14:29   #2086
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi
But then how come you did not change the number plate? or was it for any other issue.
Do not worry the number plate will be removed and no impounding happens. Secondly they will ask the police guy why he did not remove the # plate.

Cheers
I checked. The first challan was for improper number plate. The second one was for improper parking (7.15 under http://www.tvmcitypolice.gov.in/traffic_penalty.html).

Doesn't look like both are compounding offences that may lead to serious issues.

That said, I'm surprised positively at the CTP's honesty. Kudos!
Old 7th January 2014, 14:11   #2087
Senior - BHPian

Read in the newspaper today that the drum barricades are going to be removed from OMR as it has been the reason for quite a number of accidents. Good news at last!!! Currently am doing only a small stretch of the OMR and the one drum barricade has been indeed sidelined. But it has not been completely removed and it is like pushed to one side, meaning it is still accident prone

Hope the same is extended to the other roads sooner rather than later.
Old 7th January 2014, 14:55   #2088
BHPian

Was in Madras City this last Sunday and Monday (yesterday). Going from Bangalore I was pleasantly surprised at the 'manageable' traffic

One big difference from Bangalore was the sight of many, many traffic policemen - something that we do not see much here, even in Whitefield.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 18:49   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Was in Madras City this last Sunday and Monday (yesterday). Going from Bangalore I was pleasantly surprised at the 'manageable' traffic

One big difference from Bangalore was the sight of many, many traffic policemen - something that we do not see much here, even in Whitefield.
In Chennai (comparable to other metros) traffic will have steady movement and rarely stuck. That's why its manageable. But number of traffic police in Chennai is high? really? I thought its other way around. By number of policemen I do not mean count comparison but just the police presence at most of the areas.
Old 7th January 2014, 22:00   #2090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
I do not mean count comparison but just the police presence at most of the areas.
I have felt since past few months may be Chennai police is trying to make it self noticed at each junction.
Two weeks back when I traveled from Vadapalani to Egmore in night I saw around 4/ 5 police vehicles parked next to the road with flashing lights switched on. Saw the same in day time too in T Nagar.
I am not sure if this is a recent phenomenon, have not noticed this in my past trips.
Old 8th January 2014, 08:22   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
In Chennai (comparable to other metros) traffic will have steady movement and rarely stuck. That's why its manageable. But number of traffic police in Chennai is high? really? I thought its other way around. By number of policemen I do not mean count comparison but just the police presence at most of the areas.
Traffic in Madras seems to be smoother as there are a number of circular one-way roads that keep the traffic moving - you end up going a little farther, but you'll reach the place on time.

Bangalore Police (assuming that we have one here) is yet to mature to that level - look at what's happening at the Graphite India Junction - this has been happening for the past ten years with no improvement in sight. Pathetic Bangalore Police

I somehow felt that on those roads I travelled this past weekend in Madras, there were more police personnel - Paalavakkam, Sardar Patel Road, OMR, Guindy, Porur, etc.

Last edited by Tempelhof : 8th January 2014 at 08:23.
Tempelhof is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 09:58   #2092
BHPian

When will they re-lay the surface of Velachery flyover (above MRTS)!!? It is getting into my NERVES having to traverse it two times every day. It is no longer a 'new' flyover where some minimal level of earth settlement may happen across time and accordingly it 'may' be better to wait before a new layer is laid to account for it. The current condition would lead to many a suspension give aways.
Many of the 'new' flyovers in City has amazing surface level quality. Saying this, after I experienced the 'smoothness' of the Rangarajapuram flyover UP from Kodambakkam high road side, that too being a pillion in a scooter.

On a side note, noticed that many many of the Cement concrete roads now being laid in T-Nagar streets are in real bad quality. Both due to bad workmanship (as observed), & also because of lack of traffic restrictions required while/immediately-after laying of the new road. Plenty of tyre marks are seen on the road, which not only gives a bad quality surface but also is a real danger to two wheelers for a high chance of skid/imbalance while going over those patches. There should be a strict "no-traffic" rule in place while the road is laid, also providing adequate notice to the nearby residents will complement so they can better plan their routines. These are laid assuming they will outlast the current bitumen ones, but sadly it doesn't appear so. Comparatively, the new stretch in beginning of Velachery Main road is of excellent quality and has provided the much needed relief during rains or otherwise (agree, the CC mix and method of construction used are very different, so also the curing times)
ThePunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 10:34   #2093
BHPian

+1
Velachery MRTS flyover gives a free test of your spinal column, only regret is that it is a destructive test. Multiple issues for the riders who continue their painful journey, taking taramani link road to Tidel.

Approved projects which are still pending for a long time, (either not started or half way through) are - vijayanagar flyover, mega strom water drain and road laying of taramani link road.

Heard that there may be possible clash of interest with the OMR toll contaractors if these projects gets completed.

This calls for an user friendly lokpal/RTI with "raise issue in a click" feature online, and admin/justice dept/law enforcement agencies which are governed by SLA and this SLA is ultimately linked to the tax we pay.

If wishes were horses...

Last edited by ravradha : 8th January 2014 at 10:38. Reason: grammer correction
ravradha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 00:12   #2094

Speed Breakers Rejuvenation:

Quote from Times of India:

"The three models of speed breakers designed according to Indian Road Congress standards will be built for vehicles to drive over it with a speed limit of 10 kmph, 15 kmph and 25 kmph. "We will decide on the type of speed breaker to install based on the amount of traffic the road sees," said a senior corporation official.

"Speed breakers which have not been laid by us or the traffic police will be removed. Rubber speed breakers and badly built ones will be removed and replaced with new standard ones," said a senior corporation source."

Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28562150.cms
Old 9th January 2014, 11:28   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181
Read in the newspaper today that the drum barricades are going to be removed from OMR as it has been the reason for quite a number of accidents.
Finally some good news. If we are not seeing enough freak accidents due to these, it is only because of the motorists being careful. It is very common to see the metal barricades lying on their side on the road, making it dangerous. And even otherwise, these go against the laid down rules of driving in many cases and thus causing accidents. Eg. they have these barricades placed at the junction in front of TopCity restaurant on OMR - one on the leftmost lane and one on the rightmost lane. Coming from Sholinganallur, I need to take a right-turn at this junction to go home. So as I approach the junction, I move over to the right lane. But once I am near the junction, I need to turn left to go around the barricade and then right to take the turn. And all this while you have buses/cars speeding down on you in the middle lane. How more dangerous can you make things ?

BTW yesterday's Hindu newspaper had an article about cops getting strict on sun-films (no tints allowed) and out-of-spec number-plates. This explains why some of us were fined for number-plates not being as per spec. Today morning, I put the stock number-plates back on the car - no point wasting money/time with the cops on this.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 11:45   #2096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today morning, I put the stock number-plates back on the car - no point wasting money/time with the cops on this.
Never bothered to get any fancy number plates. Sun film drive in chennai is definitely moot. The heat here is totally crazy they should let the rear seat carry the sun film. It also helps "new" mothers.

The only gripe i have is this guindy railway bridge metro project that is not going anywhere but creating a lot of traffic because of scaffolding. I rather remove the scaffolding till any actual work begins and let traffic flow smoothly.

I reach from tambaram to Guindy in around 20-25 minutes on average daily. But it takes another 20-30 minutes to reach Nandanam.

I wish there is an alternate route.
Old 9th January 2014, 11:51   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Been noticing a lot of (khaki) police personnel at Neelangarai police station and Vettuvankeni area (ECR) yesterday and today. In fact, yesterday, there were 3 bus-loads (white police buses) of police personnel in that area.

Anyone has any idea why ?
Old 9th January 2014, 11:58   #2098
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Possibly related to the incident at Neelangarai police-station couple days ago where the SI shot a minor in the neck during investigation.
As per the newspapers, he was trying to frighten the kid (who had been caught trying to rob a temple hundi or something) during investigation, but the gun went off it seems.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 9th January 2014 at 12:01.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 12:14   #2099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^ Possibly related to the incident at Neelangarai police-station couple days ago where the SI shot a minor in the neck during investigation.
As per the newspapers, he was trying to frighten the kid (who had been caught trying to rob a temple hundi or something) during investigation, but the gun went off it seems.
+ There was a revenue inspector investigation yesterday on the incident. Apparently the inspector has been found guilty of shooting the minor. Police fearing backlash from locals, has deployed police force in the area, I presume.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 14:02   #2100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
...the incident at Neelangarai police-station couple days ago where the SI shot a minor in the neck during investigation.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
+ There was a revenue inspector investigation yesterday on the incident. ...
That explains it ...thanks supremeBaleno and Gokrish !

It has happened so close to our home and I was not aware of this ...I dont know how I missed this in the morning newspaper.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 9th January 2014 at 14:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks