Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 16:40   #1
BHPian

anna nagar west to perungudi

this is the daily route i follow to reach my office.
starting from the tirumangalam signal head out into the traffic going towards the koyambedu signal/junction.
Stick to the center or extreme right side of the road to avoid being muscled out at the narrow junction at the bridge entrance to the signal.
You need to wait quite bit to get out of the signal and once you are out keep to the center of the road and move as quick as possible to the extreme left as you near the signal.
This will help avoid the scores of buses who will probably be ahead or beside the right and will try to veer off to the right at the last minute to enter the CMBT.
Once you cross the CMBT keep to the center of the road till you reach vadapalani signal. The speeds will be considerably slower and come to a standstill at certain points where the excavation for the metro rail project is underway.

As you near the vadapalani signal keep sharply to the extreme right. This will help avoid the traffic pile up at the bus stop just ahead of the signal. There is however no guarantee that no one will cut across and force you to jam your brakes and you invariably find out that every bus which has picked up or dropped off passengers will storm their way horizontally across the road and proceed forward ignoring you and anyone else below the eye level, completely.

You need to keep to the extreme left despite temptations to go center and proceed till you reach ashok pillar junction. From then on you need to shift to the extreme right and keep going that way till you reach kasi theatre.
Once you cross the theatre and head out to eekaduthagal you will realise how wisely you escaped the traffic pile up because of the bus stop at the narrow theatre junction.
As you head out to the eveready signal(guindy estate) from the eekaduthangal bridge, desist the temptation to continue on the right side and quickly move to the extreme left and keep going that way. This will help avoid a lot of vehicles both small and big, making unauthorised u-turns along the stretch.

From the signal keep left and enter the road below the bridge to enter mount road. Now keep to the center till as close to the guindy bus stop as possible.DONT move right or left just keep to the center.
Only when you reach the bus stop shift to the extreme right and stay on that track till Saidapet sessions court. Any other way and you are bound to get squeezed/muscled out by all kinds of vehicles.

From then on head towards Sardar Patel Road(raj bhavan road) keeping to the center. not right nor left, just center. might be tricky but you keep moving!
As you near the Anna University entrance keep extreme right and continue that way till you climb the bridge near IIT signal.
As you descend keep left or center depending on the traffic flow. Don’t go right. Keep that way till you reach madhya kailash signal. Then cut across to the right to enter taramani road to tidel park. T
his is one stretch to make up lost time so try to go upto 100kmph or above till you hit the traffic block.
Here, keep center or right. DON’T go left even if there is an empty lot. you will later thank yourself for keeping to the center or right because once the traffic lights turn green you will see hordes of two wheelers and corporation trucks jostling with each other for track position which invariably results in the cars in the extreme left lane stuck for another round of signals.

As you exit the signal and head out towards SRP tools bus stop. You need to keep arrow straight and not be intimidated by traffic swarming from the left going to velachery.
These guys will cut across you from the extreme left to the extreme right and any which way you will have a heart stopping, brake jamming moment till you cross the signal successfully.
On the home stretch you will have to keep again to the center or left till you see the passenger overbridge just above.
At the last moment you keep to the extreme right to avoid the bus stop but reduce speed as you will see a crowd rushing from IN FRONT of the parked buses to cross the road(people will be people and the overbridge is most always never used by them despite being safer!) from then on pick up speed to reach the destination.

GARMIN navigator readouts:
Overall average speed : 20.3 kmph
Moving average speed : 28.2 kmph
Maximum speed(at the taramani stretch) : 106 kmph
Overall fuel cost : Rs. 122.58
(Assumptions: fuel type:diesel, mileage:14 kmpl, fuel cost Rs.35/-,vehicle: Suzuki SWIFT VDi)
Moving time: 42.48 mins
Stopped time: 16.43 mins
Old 6th November 2009, 19:04   #2
BHPian

Lemme Make a small suggestion.

Take a left at Vadapalani - Go straight - Pass Powerhouse - Straight - Pass Kodambakkam Bridge - Straight - Pass Valluvar Kottam Signal - Straight - Reach Nugambakkam High Road Signal - Take Right - Pass Gemini Flyover - Proceed Straight for 4 kms till you reach Marina - Take Right - Go Straight for 4 kms till you reach Adyar.
From Adyar you have many by lanes that you can take to avoid traffic and reach Taramani.

Time would be reduced atleast by 5 - 6 mins. And also the distance. I am talking with experience. I dont have GPS to prove my fact.
Old 7th November 2009, 08:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi James I think you could do with some rerouting. Since you are travelling from anna nagar what you could do is go via chintamani go upto harrington road subway take the road above the subway to reach loyala subway then onto mahalingapuram, valluvar kottam take a left and then the road to g n chetty road, gemini flyover,cathedral road, santhome on towards adyar. PM me in case of any help
Old 7th November 2009, 09:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I have given 2 route suggestions.

1. Anna Nagar - T Nagar - Kotturpuram - Perungudi

Should be more freed up once the Turnbulls road junction flyover is open.

2. Anna Nagar - RK Salai - Santhome - Perungudi

In this route there's also an option to take a right turn at Music Academy, then TTK Road, CP Ramasamy Road and then join Santhome high road-Greenways Road at Mandaveli.

Similarly there's scope for numerous short cuts in both the above route's. Can explain them better over phone than in google maps PM for more info.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Anna Nagar to Perungudi Route 1.doc (1.98 MB, 589 views)
File Type: doc Anna Nagar to Perungudi Route 2.doc (1.77 MB, 488 views)

Last edited by kiku007 : 7th November 2009 at 09:15.
Old 7th November 2009, 13:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Lemme Make a small suggestion.

Take a left at Vadapalani - Go straight - Pass Powerhouse - Straight - Pass Kodambakkam Bridge - Straight - Pass Valluvar Kottam Signal - Straight - Reach Nugambakkam High Road Signal - Take Right - Pass Gemini Flyover - Proceed Straight for 4 kms till you reach Marina - Take Right - Go Straight for 4 kms till you reach Adyar.
From Adyar you have many by lanes that you can take to avoid traffic and reach Taramani.

Time would be reduced atleast by 5 - 6 mins. And also the distance. I am talking with experience. I dont have GPS to prove my fact.
thanks. i tried that route once. the traffic was slow moving(but steady) only problem was, at palmgrove i had to wait nearly 3 signals to enter nungambakkam.also at santhome just after the church there is a small opening for the hostel which narrows down abruptly to a single lane? a tavera cab nearly took off my front bumper.there are quite a few such moments on this route so i have decided to stick to the straighter route. another route is nelson manickam road t.nagar venkatnarayana road cenptaph road kotturpuram and taramani. only hassle is at the CARS India junction the road is shot to pieces and each time the car scrapes those boulders on the road i feel a pain and get down to see which part i have left behind on the stone!
Old 7th November 2009, 13:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Hi James I think you could do with some rerouting. Since you are travelling from anna nagar what you could do is go via chintamani go upto harrington road subway take the road above the subway to reach loyala subway then onto mahalingapuram, valluvar kottam take a left and then the road to g n chetty road, gemini flyover,cathedral road, santhome on towards adyar. PM me in case of any help
this is the best option i think, with a small deviation however. instead of valluvar kottam i take the road striaght ahead to exit at DSC Hyundai and go to saidapet and then raj bhavan. a slight detour but it shaves off quite a few minutes to reach my office.
Old 7th November 2009, 13:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

In this route there's also an option to take a right turn at Music Academy, then TTK Road, CP Ramasamy Road and then join Santhome high road-Greenways Road at Mandaveli.

Similarly there's scope for numerous short cuts in both the above route's. Can explain them better over phone than in google maps PM for more info.
thanks for the attachments, mate! i have also started checking out this google maps thingy.
Old 7th November 2009, 14:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjames View Post
thanks. i tried that route once. the traffic was slow moving(but steady) only problem was, at palmgrove i had to wait nearly 3 signals to enter nungambakkam.also at santhome just after the church there is a small opening for the hostel which narrows down abruptly to a single lane? a tavera cab nearly took off my front bumper.there are quite a few such moments on this route so i have decided to stick to the straighter route. another route is nelson manickam road t.nagar venkatnarayana road cenptaph road kotturpuram and taramani. only hassle is at the CARS India junction the road is shot to pieces and each time the car scrapes those boulders on the road i feel a pain and get down to see which part i have left behind on the stone!
Just before Palmgrove there is a right. Take the right, It would take you near Gemini in 1 mins.

Just after the Light house take the left, this would take you along the beach to the other side of santhome. It would take you to MRC nagar.

btw - whats your ride.
Old 7th November 2009, 14:21   #9
BHPian

I drive from golden flats to Perungudi RMZ daily. This is the route i take

Golden flats-Thirumangalam-CMBT-Vadapalani-Laksham Shruthi signal

Then i take the left after the Police quarters keep going straight and take the left in the major junction (after Sangam hotel). From there CIT nagar-Saidapet-Raj Bhavan-Tidel-Ascendas-Taramani-PerungudiRMZ

Distance is 23km one way and i do this in 50 mins . I start to work at 1PM.
Old 7th November 2009, 14:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Just before Palmgrove there is a right. Take the right, It would take you near Gemini in 1 mins.

Just after the Light house take the left, this would take you along the beach to the other side of santhome. It would take you to MRC nagar.

btw - whats your ride.
my ride is a swift VDi. this option sounds i will try it out tomorrow!
Old 7th November 2009, 16:13   #11
BHPian

I work at Perungudi too.. Friend of mine comes from Anna Nagar, and he swears by this route.

Take Nelson Manickam Road, come upto Mahalingapuram, cross a series of flyovers, enter Mount Road via Usman Road. From there one can go via Velachery(road behind TCS velachery) or through regular Tidel park route.

Of course, the best thing to do is to not travel in peak hours..
Old 7th November 2009, 16:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
I work at Perungudi too.. Friend of mine comes from Anna Nagar, and he swears by this route.

Take Nelson Manickam Road, come upto Mahalingapuram, cross a series of flyovers, enter Mount Road via Usman Road. From there one can go via Velachery(road behind TCS velachery) or through regular Tidel park route.

Of course, the best thing to do is to not travel in peak hours..
i have to take this route for work.so the option of taking non-peak hour trips, sadly is out of the question.
Old 9th November 2009, 10:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

from:School Rd to:6th Ave to:13.092186,80.217361 to:2nd Ave to:1st Main Rd to:Harrington Rd to:Prakasam St to:Radha Krishnan Salai to:Old Mahabalipuram Rd - Google Maps

Here is the route which I had suggested marked in google maps for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks