Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2005, 23:55   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6
Its good to hear that you are safe ... Thats a pretty bad accident.. My advice on the car ... Do a total loss .. Its much better and a safer deal than trying to repair it .. Pull strings with ur insurance agent so that the process will speed up .. Me too had rear ended a truck and had a similar kind of accident in a accent .. It was a good decision to scrap it and make a total loss .. u will get the depreciated value of the car depending upon how old it is .. coz anyways if u make it .. plastic parts and rubber parts will be paid only 50% and at the end the cost is going to be almost the same and u r stuck with a badly damaged car ...
Rgds
EVO6
Hi EVO6

Ya many people have told me to scrap the car ,just waiting for the insurance guy to do the formalities cause car is lying in "Talera Ford" in Pune. AS per my agent i should get the market value of the car which is around 3L for 2002 Ikon ZXI
Old 19th August 2005, 00:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
Rocam,
Nice to see you are unhurt..

Yes..this Ford Ikons brakes when applied in this type of situations, gets locked..Even I had opened one thread on this issue.
I felt the same.. last weekend I faced similar situation..but luckily I used the tip given by our fellow team.. don't apply breaks continously.... apply multiple times leaving 1sec gap..
This was very useful Tip I got and saved me from very close encounters...

But don't u guys think, in this type of situations, one won't get that much of time to NOT apply breakes continously?

i think that the whole incident would have happened within 2 to 3 seconds
had rocam waiting for one second to pass & then brake then the situation would have been much worse
Old 19th August 2005, 00:33   #63
BHPian

Rocam Soory to hear about the car but glad that u are safe.

Guys let's make one thing clear ABS actually helps in reducing the braking distance.
How simple. When the wheel lcoks up U actually skid in effect not allowing the tyre to grip the ord effect" NO Friction to stop the car in time"

While with ABS U actaully are applying brake and relasing it every microsecond so no wheel lcok up, more friction and hence shorter distance and steering control.
Old 19th August 2005, 12:04   #64
BHPian

Rocam thank god you are allright..

The same incident happened to me about a year ago on my CBZ!! I was cursing at 80 with a pillion and a parked truck suddenly took a U turn (it was night, the truck had no idicators, no headlamp and no tail lamp!!), saw me panicked, jammed the brake and left it standing right across the road with no place for me to steer. I jammed the brakes, the wheels lock, I knew I would crash all I could do was pick my spot and I picked the Tires and that saved the day. My Helmet had a two inch long gash which penetrated the outer shell till the inner lining, my heavy leather jacket was torn. I had pain in my shoulder, thighs and back. The pillion too had a helmet and Jacket, he landed on me so he was ok but the visor on his cheap helmet broke and cut him on his forehead and it had to be stitched up. Now every time I pass a parked truck I honk. May be next time I should take it over the side walk or something instead.... well on second thoughts I don't want a next time!!! Yes ABS would have helped especially in panic situations where you have only split seconds to take decisions.

Last edited by solly : 19th August 2005 at 12:12.
Old 19th August 2005, 14:17   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam
The breaking distance increases with A.BS

Are you sure about that ? Coz, I was thinking that braking distance decreases. Atleast that's what was told by our physics professor.
Old 19th August 2005, 14:28   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidrock
Are you sure about that ? Coz, I was thinking that braking distance decreases. Atleast that's what was told by our physics professor.
Your braking distance will be shortest without ABS provided your wheel don't lock. With ABS, the brake is getting released every 1/3rd of a second or so, hence the braking distance increases.
Old 19th August 2005, 19:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Your braking distance will be shortest without ABS provided your wheel don't lock. With ABS, the brake is getting released every 1/3rd of a second or so, hence the braking distance increases.

Guys sorry to hear about all the confusion.

Kindly note again

braking distnace DECREASES with ABS
Here's how

No wheels lock case - ABS does not come into picture. Cars with normal braking and abs will stop in same distnace

Wheels lock case - Abs starts operation the moment it senses wheel lockup happening preventing skids and greatly reducing distance by maintaining
'Rolling Friction"

No consider this u see a danger . You can jam on your brakes with all your force assuming that u have ABS and u will stop in shorter distance.

However if you do not have ABS u might try to slow down first with the woory of skid or may not apply full force( exact force is difficult to Judge in such conditions) wasting those few precious moments making a diffrence between life and death
Old 20th August 2005, 01:19   #68
BHPian

I think we need more inputs from members regarding ABS, Even though i checked out with few people i got mixed answers,

Mods any thread/link pertaining to ABS, was this topic covered before ?

Regrds
Rocam
Old 20th August 2005, 07:22   #69
BHPian

HOW ABS works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam
I think we need more inputs from members regarding ABS, Even though i checked out with few people i got mixed answers,

Mods any thread/link pertaining to ABS, was this topic covered before ?

Regrds
Rocam

Here is a link wortn reading

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/anti-lock-brake.htm
Old 20th August 2005, 07:51   #70
BHPian

ABS discussion on previous thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...ht=ABS+explain
Old 20th August 2005, 10:25   #71
BHPian

Well marginally ot but been meaning to say this for a while and this seems the right place for it i guess- at the moment anyway

Braking distance DECREASES with ABS

How??- Ok lets go thru the normal argument of apllying and re-applint the brakjes etc etc

Now what actually happens when you press the pedal that there is Braking force on the wheels.
This force is non linear - >ie. it does not increase in a completely linear manner as you press the pedal more and more on a graph.
The point just before the wheels lock & overcome friction and slide is the actually the point of Maximum braking effect- lets call it mu.
Now when you brake conventially, and you go beyond mu, your brakes lock and lose their effect. OTOH, if you dont brake hard enough, you do not reach the point of Max braking efficiency Mu.

However when you slam the brakes when having ABS, what happens is the brakes operate till point Mu, and as theyjsut slip the brakes are released and reapplied all the way to point Mu and what happens is that you pass thru point Mu, many times, thus in effect appllying max braking pressure almost throughout, something which is not possible manually

This repeated passing thru Mu, ensures a shorter stopping distance.

cheerio
Old 20th August 2005, 13:14   #72
Max
BHPian

Good to know you and your company are in good shape after facing this accident. I do wear seatbelts all the time, however from know on I will make sure rear passengers should also wear seat belts on highways.
Old 26th August 2005, 23:01   #73
Senior - BHPian

well all i can say after lookin at the pics rocam, buddy, is that im glad u and ur fellow traveller are safe and sound. cars will come and go so if ur ok then what the heck....get another car but where can u get another life, so thank god ur safe and believe me someone UP THERE REALLY LIKES YOU!!
Old 31st August 2005, 12:20   #74
BHPian

Hello pune guys, I need help!

i am looking for a place in pune where i can park my crashed vehicle for at least 7-10 days, cause i will be getting total loss claim from insurance, right now its at talera ford i want to move it out from there , also i want to change the CAM, Alloys, muffler.... so if a mechanic can be arranged it will be great ,i am coming to pune 2moro ie 1st Sep.

ROCAM (mumbai)

Last edited by Ford Rocam : 31st August 2005 at 12:21.
Old 13th October 2005, 01:33   #75

insane`d Driver

How insane the driver wud have been.
Hey did u take the interview of the driver as wat was in his mind .... when u met wit the accident @ the rear of his poor truck

Ur options r :

1. a sudden turn
2. burning rear tyres
3. checkin the groove / response of the truck (while turning)
4. none of them
5. all of them

i may b soundin silly .. but i m insane interested in knowing bout it ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks