Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2005, 16:55   #16
BHPian

those getz brakes are over-servo'd... kinda dangerous in traffic.
Old 17th August 2005, 17:34   #17
Team-BHP Support

get it to a good dealer!!!
Old 17th August 2005, 17:45   #18
BHPian

any opinions on Nimbus Noida? how' the service centre?

\N
Old 18th August 2005, 13:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer
sandeepmdas:

ajmat:
pardon me for my ignorance. but i thot that ABS only helps in better handling of car while braking, not in effective braking. am i missing something here :-?
and hitting the rick was rather fortunate, if i wud have managed to stop the car in time, the truck wud have toppled over my car (give me shivers)...
Ajmat, how can I gauge whether head gasket or fan is damaged. Actually I will be getting my car repaired at Nimbus, Noida. And they have told me that any consequential damage after an accident is not covered under insurance, so I wud have to pay for that out of my pocket. Therefore I want to know, how much damage is there so that they won't be able to take me for a ride.

thanx to u all

\N
i am not an expert in cars, but my 2 cents in physics involved:

if ABS is there, it will result in skid free braking, and if it's at the limiting friction, it will definitely be more retarding than kinetic friction (skid braking).

So in effect, it will be more effective braking than the non ABS brake. of course, that wud mean more danger to you from the truck in this particular scenario. I am assuming u had a skid.

in other words "skid braking is not an effective way of braking"

somebody pls correct me if i am wrong.
Old 18th August 2005, 14:51   #20
BHPian

What you can do is open rediator cap,
Put your finger inside and rub the wall.
If you get oil on ur finger it means GAS KIT gone or worst HEAD cracked...

ITS HAPPNED IN MY JEEP 3 TIMES IN MY JEEP...
Drove the car without water...one head cracked and 2 times gas kit...
get it checked ASAP...
Old 18th August 2005, 18:41   #21
BHPian

Hi,
Today I gave my car for repair at Nimbus Noida. The car was parked at sec. 23 at a friend's place. I called up Nimbus to ask them to tow the vehicle. They sent a guy in a santro, he inspected the car, opened the hood, poured some water in radiator, started the car and said that the engine sounds OK, and there's no damage in it.

He drove my car and I his, and off we go to the service sentre.
There the service centre guy inspected the damage, got the claim form filled up and called the suveyor. The estimate cam out to be abt 30K, out of which I will have to pay 12K; since the depreciation on plastic parts is 50%.

The lis of items to be replaced is:

1. Bonnet (Metal and Paint), no pdepreciation
2. Fender (Metal and Paint), no pdepreciation
3. Bumper (Plastic - 1800, Paint - 3500)
4. Upper and lower grills (1000)
5. Radiator Support (Plastic - 7000), looks like this particular part is made of metal in all other cars. Only in Getz it is made of plastic, so I will have to pay 50%.
6. Radiator Assembly (It contains only about 20% plastic and 80% metal), but strangely the insurance company is counting it in plastic. - 4000

There are some other minor damages as well. Regarding the engine, they said that once the structural repairs are done then they will looks into those.

I was talking to xsailor and we have decided on the following -

1. I will get the compression test done on my car; and if that throws up any problems I will take my car to Hyundai Motor Plaza, Matura Road and get it repaired there.
The service centre guy said I won't get anything from insurnce for engine damage, sinc eit happed after the accident.

2. If compression test is ok, then I will change the engine oil, and monitor car's performance, finesse, FE, any diff in sound and any leakages for next few months.

How does it sound? Any other ideas?

\N
Old 19th August 2005, 15:13   #22
BHPian

hey experts, thro some light on it. GTO, samurai, rtech, revtech, speedsatya where are all you guys?

\N
Old 19th August 2005, 16:41   #23
BHPian

From what you have described, no serious damage appears to have been caused. If engine was damaged, then even after filling water there would have been noise or engine would have felt sluggish.

It seems, you realised just in time. If you had driven any longer, then damage would surely have been caused.

Do let us know if these people actually detect something wrong?
Old 19th August 2005, 17:46   #24
Team-BHP Support

Hey ntomer,

It looks like you may have got away without any major damage (other than what you have listed above obviously ). The steam and burning smell was probably the leaking coolant falling on hot surfaces. As you stated, you switched off the car after the temperature started rising, but before it hit the red (right?), so there should be no damage to the engine.

However, running a compression test would be an added precaution, so no harm in doing it at all.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 25th August 2005, 15:58   #25
BHPian

Got my car back.

Hi Gang,

I got my car back today after repairs. Nimbus Noida, did a ok job on it. Hood, right fender, front bumper and the two grills in it had been replace. Inside the radiator support scaffolding and radiator had been replaced. The AC compressor was ok, only the gas had to be refilled. The coolant etc was topped up. Total expense came to 33000 odd, out of which I had to pay 8K.

I would like to thank Team-BHP, especially xsailor for all the support. xsailor came to Nimbus today morning, and it helped a lot. He checked many such things which I would have ignored and would have had trouble later. And xsailor, I like the way you said that we will do this; we will do that; it makes one feel that he ain't alone :-)

We (xsailor and me) decided to forego the compression test for now, 'coz the engine looks and sounds ok. Rather we will monitor it for some time for any telltale signs (odd sounds, enhine heating, leakages etc.). If there is any problem, we will take the car to Hyundai Motor Plaza.

Me and xsailor will be meeting on Saturday evening; anybody else from Delhi/Noida game? TSK, what abt you?

\N
Old 25th August 2005, 18:56   #26
BHPian

You are Welcome, NT

Hey NT,

You most welcome .
When we say TEAM BHP, it IS team spirit all the way.

Speaking of Spirits (aka Booze ), looking forward to the Saturday session!!

Cheers and keep a hawk-eye on any tell-tale sign.
Old 26th August 2005, 15:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ntomer, my advice would be that if you at all suspect engine damage then go ahead with the compression check. Its better to be safe than a lot more sorry. Besides, if there happens to be a problem, then you'll just make it even worse by driving the car.
On the other hand though, from your earlier posts it seems unlikely that the engine may have suffered significant damage. But as i said, better to be safe than a lot more sorry.
Old 29th August 2005, 10:27   #28
Team-BHP Support

Glad to know your cars doing good ntomer. IJust came back from out of station today. how was the meet guys?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks