Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 18:03   #16
BHPian

Similar disrespect to Law by consulate vehicle happened few months back at Mumbai International Airport, when a consulate's car was parked opposite to the departure gates and not a single police office has guts to tow/lock that SUV.

The guests were of some country in Middle East and were also allowed to smoke inside the airport lobby. Funny thing is that they were smoking in front of No-Smoking Sign Board.

Just few words for them Poor illiterate people.

Last edited by shabahmad : 10th December 2009 at 18:17.
Old 10th December 2009, 21:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

I wish it was as simple as just blocking the driver's path, and not letting him go.Again,that could lead to trouble.
Talk about having to close our eyes and not do anything about such atrocious behavior. These are the times when I hope that some person chewing on paan finds their target,and these consulate drivers get a splash of the 'red rain' from a passing bus.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:10   #18
BHPian

Tejas,

The driver is not covered under diplomatic immunity, this is inferred from a conversation held a long time ago with the RTO.

Having said that, if you report the incident to the consulate with the date, time, type of offence etc. The consulate may take action against the driver.

Unfortunately the gentleman accompanying the driver was right " if you don't want to get into further trouble" - This is real what he said. As the consulate staff (diplomatic passport) has immunity under the laws.

Again, if the same officer who was in the car with the driver takes the side of the errant driver, its very little which can be accomplished post filing the complaint at the consulate.

The best ray of hope is a very positively worded letter and showing our plight in sharing the road and the time the consular car was on the road was a harrowing time

This should help. Rather than berating the nation (which should avoided at all costs) its' better to highlight how underprivileged we are as to share the road with the errant driver.

@Nitin - effect would be of red rain - Oopar se number plate nahi dikhta " sorry" lol.
Cheers.

Last edited by mmmjgm : 10th December 2009 at 22:20.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Nope. Accent of the gentleman seemed to be of a middle eastern country. But i may be wrong.
You still consider the low life to be a gentleman?
Old 10th December 2009, 22:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead he tells me, and i quote, "Don't tell me anything sonny, just drive on or you will get into trouble."
Many won't dare to say this here but I'd have shown him one finger and probably abused him with some good 'bad' words That's a very rare sweet chance you're getting there to do that.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th December 2009 at 22:39.
Old 11th December 2009, 01:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Many won't dare to say this here but I'd have shown him one finger and probably abused him with some good 'bad' words That's a very rare sweet chance you're getting there to do that.

That would have been a sight.
But all of the consulate cars I have seen here in Kolkata are driven very carefully and within speed limits - no one dare take on the mighty yellow ambys here!

N.B: Today a CC Bentley made way for my puny i10 - what do you think people?
Old 11th December 2009, 06:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Reminds me of Lethal Weapon 2, where Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh from LAPD can't do anything against drug dealing south africans who have diplomatic immunity.
Well...Well...In the last scenes the South African waves his passport and says "I have diplomatic immunity" and Mel Gibson puts a bullet through his head.

In this case I can visualize Tejas taking out a giant dentist drill and...

But seriously speaking, the whole incident sucks. The best would be to write a letter, or get a friendly journalist to do a story on this behavior if you have the time or energy...
genesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2009, 07:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

In a jeep....how does ramming the b....r sound to you?!
Old 12th December 2009, 21:20   #24
BHPian

Never be scared of a foreigner in your own country. You have more power.

If you think your life was in danger due to their rash driving, we can always handle this situation the old fashioned Indian way (the mob way).

They dare not make noise next time.
Old 13th December 2009, 16:01   #25
MCR
BHPian

Very unfortunate incident. But it is better not to speak with these people. Things can turn nasty in one's own country. I can bet the GOI will not do much about such issues, nor the RTO/police since they are part of the government. The best thing to do is give the bullies the way. Take "Gandhigiri" approach.
Old 13th December 2009, 17:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Never be scared of a foreigner in your own country. You have more power.

If you think your life was in danger due to their rash driving, we can always handle this situation the old fashioned Indian way (the mob way).

They dare not make noise next time.
Yes indeed. I think the consulate cars are safe as long as they don't hit anyone on the road. The diplomatic immunity is there only for GoI officials to honor. If they hit anyone and mob gathers, I don't think the mob will honor diplomatic immunity.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:15   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
If they hit anyone and mob gathers, I don't think the mob will honor diplomatic immunity.
I do remember an incident where the occupants of a consulate car were royally thrashed by a mob. This was at nariman point, in an accident where they were clearly at fault. The mob stopped only once the cops came and saved them.

@ Tejas : Well done. You showed your class, while the guy on the back seat showed he was nothing but crass. Put the number of the vehicle up here.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:14   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Tejas : Well done. You showed your class, while the guy on the back seat showed he was nothing but crass. Put the number of the vehicle up here.
Thanks. The chit of the number is lying in my glove box. Will put up the number soon.

Actually, the whole reason of starting this thread was not what i can do or not. The reason is to reach a consensus of what can be done in case someone else runs into a consulate vehicle in the future.

- What are your police options?
- What are your legal options?
- Etc.
Old 17th December 2009, 12:42   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- What are your police options?
- What are your legal options?
- Etc.
Lodge a complaint with the cops, notify the RTO HO and shoot off an email to the consulate. I'm willing to bet that a majority of consul generals will take this issue very strongly.
Old 17th December 2009, 14:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lodge a complaint with the cops, notify the RTO HO and shoot off an email to the consulate. I'm willing to bet that a majority of consul generals will take this issue very strongly.
I would think so. In one of the queries, I was able to get across to Consul General himself( not related to rash driving, but a casual query related to visa ) but the point is Consul Generals are accessible. Will Diplomatic Immunity comes greater responsibility and am sure they will take it seriously. Write an email as well a postal letter and mention that copies of that letter were sent to RTO and Police officeers.

BTW, we can use RTI to know how many such foreign registered Consulate cars have been ticketed so far which can give us a pointer.

Nainar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks