Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 11:25   #46
BHPian

hehehehe..best thing to do get the microphone which the cops use at the airport and yell "White color ki santro no. so and so...bhaishaab aapki gaadi sarak rahi hai Rok lo"..
If you dont have that then prey and honk like a maniac.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
So she decided to use my car as a backrest while she took time out to figure what the fat headed stick was for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Nothing much one can do, if the car rolling back and driver is not at all cautious even if you honking or flashing light! Because the guy may be in different world and
not aware of what is happening around. He may not be even knowing(sensing) that his car rolling back.
Speaking of which, have you encountered a situation where you are on an incline and the guy ahead moves forward and if you are not paying rapt attention you feel that you are sliding backwards.
Then you realise that its the others who are moving forward and not you moving backwards.
This has happened to me twice (Forum (Koramangala side) signal incline) much to the amusement of the other occupants. I literally stood on the brakes.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:37   #48
BHPian

The best thing would be to forgive and forget.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:35   #49
BHPian

This is a different perspective. I was the one who rolled back. I was driving a 1998 TCIC Safari at that time and the car had an odd gear box system where it is easy to slot into the reverse instead of the 1st gear - if you are not familiar with this. I was waiting at the signal and shifted gear to what I thought was the 1st gear but ended up with the reverse gear. The car behind me - a Maruti 800 must have had a heart attack when he saw my car jump one feet back.

Fortunately I realized what happened and I changed the gear in time before I hit the car behind. The car was still honking when I left him behind.

In another instance I was driving a Mark II Amby near Coonoor when a Maruti 800 driven by a novice female rolled back. The Amby stopped the roll back and waited until she could engage the 1st gear and move away. No damage to my steel bumpers.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:39   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think this funny phenomenon is called Parallax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post

Speaking of which, have you encountered a situation where you are on an incline and the guy ahead moves forward and if you are not paying rapt attention you feel that you are sliding backwards.
Then you realise that its the others who are moving forward and not you moving backwards.
This has happened to me twice (Forum (Koramangala side) signal incline) much to the amusement of the other occupants. I literally stood on the brakes.
Old 21st January 2010, 11:39   #51
BHPian

I usually Honk like a maniac in these situations, usually this happens, when the guy at the wheel, dozes off or loses momentary concentration lapse after driving for a long time.
Old 27th January 2010, 09:57   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post

This is very disturbing and has happened to me quite a few times. All of a sudden you feel your car is sliding backwards and with alarm you bang on the breaks only to notice later that the vehicles next to you are slowly inching forward. This usually happens on level roads and when you have larger vehicles like trucks/vans next to you. So I now make it a point to keep one reference like the kerb or some immovable object on the side to prevent myself from being surprised.
Old 27th January 2010, 10:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

nice idea zaks for avoiding the Parallax effect!

I find this effect quite disturbing especially when i am tired or did not had adequate sleep. i get confused if i am getting dizzy or my car is moving back
Old 27th January 2010, 12:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
The best thing would be to forgive and forget.
Yep I totally agree, its better to forgive and forget.
Happened with my new car (10 days old), there was a santro ahead of me which rolled back and I happened to be in neutral that time so luckily there was no scratch, but could still see the effect of that thud on examining it closely.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

What about strengthening bumper(In Cars) and Bumper Protector(Preventing scratch)?AFAIK ,Bumpers are clipped on in many cars- fragile is the word.

When I googled for Bumper protection ,few results came.don't know how much useful these bumper protectors are in case of roll back crash.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:22   #56
BHPian

this case happens mostly for the newbies so honking will scare them more. All you can do is forgive and forget.
Old 31st January 2010, 17:52   #57

I faced a situations like this. It was in between a road block in a short Q of vehicles. An autoriskhaw started to cross the line of vehicles from an approaching side raod, stopping the car just infront of me (An old Premier Padmini).

The Padmini driver got furious and started peeping out of his car and scolding the auto driver. But by now his car started rolling back, but he was not at all bothered about it and was very much engaged in scolding the auto driver..! I started honking the horn but couldn't prevernt him. It continued rolling back and kissed on the bumper of my little Maruti 800. Luckily nothing happened, except a small scratch.

The Padmini driver who was keenly scolding the auto driver, but did not get time to note that his car was rolling back and hitting another car behind it.
Old 18th February 2010, 23:07   #58
BHPian

Friends, Countrymen and Women,

This is my first post. I wanted it to be a better topic than this but holy heavens, this did happen to me. And guess what, it isn't a WagonR coming onto a scorpio, but a mini truck (Tata 407) with a bull bar in the rear, with about 2 tonnes of load on it, rolling down onto my Swift.

As it was a truck, all the honkings and the flashings were as if I am tickling the skin of an elephant.

I got hit, had an argument with the driver (who cares) and politely got the front bumper re-painted (damages of 2K)

From then on, there is a resolve that I will never park behind a truck - My preference is for bikes - It is a lot safer if the person in the front is on a bike - He / She is surely going to notice your honks and blink rather than being lost on some songs / the AC with the windows rolled up.

More often than not, you can't plan on these things, but if you happen to have a choice between a bike or a car or a truck - I am sure what one should pick to be safe.

Cheers

Last edited by Dippy : 8th March 2010 at 17:40. Reason: Deleting extra smiley. Only two per post allowed. Please see the rules
Old 8th March 2010, 13:55   #59
BHPian

Happened a couple of times. First time got very angry, second time I adjusted the third, I got used to it :P.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
What do you do when the vehicle ahead of you begins to roll back (apart from sitting on your horn, that is)....
Yeah tricky situation, I normally leave enough gap between the vehicle ahead and mine especially if on an incline no matter if I in a car or my bike. I take it for granted that the vehicle in front will roll back. But some times, some moron mostly senless bikers / autowalahs squeeze in between and they take the hit!!

Recently a biker was honking behind me to reduce the gap in front of me shouting at me "aagey jao, aagey jao" (go front, go front..), seeing that i was not reducing the gap, he squeezed in between my bike and vehicle(bus!!) in front of me!! The bus brakes, this fellow was almost touching the rear of the bus and the bus tilts forward, the biker who squeezed in between brakes a bit late, his front wheel goes under the rear raised portion of the bus, bus comes to normal position, breaks his front mud-guard, and the front tire burst and also bends the wheel.

WHAT I WANT TO SAY ?? MAINTAIN DISTANCE!!

Also not valid all the times, you can also try going backwards. Also avoid being behind old vehicles especially state transport buses and old lorries / trucks especially in an incline!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks