Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 16:03   #1
BHPian

Car Hire - Regulatory Agency?

Hi Guys,
I recently booked for car rental in Switzerland through the company's counter part in India. The agreed rate that I was promised is not the amount that has been charged to me. I have written several letters to the company but nobody seems to be bothered. I only got one response so far suggesting me to write to their office in Japan.

This is a WW company listed in NYSE and I would need help from bhpians to guide me to a regulatory board that manages car hires.

IATA refused to extend any help and suggested that I settle the matter with the company directly.

Would appreciate all help.

Last edited by DirtyHarry : 11th January 2010 at 16:09. Reason: Formatting
Old 11th January 2010, 17:04   #2
BHPian

The few things you can do is.

1. Raise a dispute with the credit card agency (assuming you are paying through the credit card) with the requisite proof of the agreed cost , emails, faxes etc.
2. Write to their customer care (india) with copy to the customer care of Swiss and their main head office.
3. Check if there is a better business bureau in Switzerland and post there ( if you dont get a reply in reasonable time.

by the way what was the agreed amount and what was charged. You do have to take into account that on a credit card transacted outside your home country you will be charged on the selling (bank selling ) rate plus some additional charges.

In my renting history i have found it cheaper to book at the home site of the country travelling and if cash available settle the bill in cash. This way you know what exactly transacted and save on the variation in forex and incidental charges.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:43   #3
BHPian

My painful experience renting Avis cars!

Thanks Sreedotk.

When I received confirmation for my reservation, I was told that two day car rental would cost me SFR 151.38 (Swiss Francs). The charge on my credit card is SFR 222. I double confirmed with their India office if it would be SFR 151.38 and I have written confirmations to that effect. Unfortunately, the entire ordeal is about 3.5/4 months old and i'm not sure if the credit card company will be able to assist.

I did write to the India office and to their head office in the USA. There was only one response from Director of customer service - Below is the response I received

"Your request for assistance regarding your rental in Switzerland was forwarded to me for response and I do apologize for the problems you have encountered. Unfortunately we will not be able to assist you as the guidelines for International investigations are that the renter’s country of origin Customer Service is to deal directly with the Customer Service organization of the renting country. Therefore, the Customer Service in Japan will need to deal directly with the Customer Service in Switzerland. I am sorry I could not be of more assistance."

I'm not sure why I was directed to their office in Japan. I wrote back to her asking her for their Japanese office coordinates but did not hear back from her. I then wrote to a senior person who looks after corporate governance of Avis and even that did not merit a response.

The entire experience has left a bad taste in the mouth. Looking at all possible help and suggestions on this. I do hope this thread acts as an eyeopener for Bhpians and help avoid such situations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks