Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 17:05   #16
BHPian

Klassics45 what happed to your friend was unfortunate. There are two golden rule in this kind of a scenario
1. Never get in to fight when you are with a girlfriend
2. If a fight is unavoidable, be the first to hit

I have been living in chennai for the past 30 years and belive me I have seen my fare share of people. What happened with your friends car with that drunkard is something that is unavoidable in triplicane. Dont stop yourself from taking your friends and family out because of these incidence. I have seen that most of our friends here have provided you with enough tips for safety for long drives. For the city drive I would recommend the following.
* Donot drive in lonely lanes late at night
* Donot park near any TASMAC shops
* Friday and Sunday nights are two days that you need to watch out for the KUDI magans of chennai.
* When you cross a TASMAC shop watch out for idiots who drink and take the car/bike and come directly in the middle of the road to drive straight
* Take things a bit cooly if you are not from that area. You dont know what kind of people you are dealing with.

Try to relax and dont let these small incidents ruin your drives. Have fun my friend.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Fantastic piece of advice Elantra man. In chennai, the fist is always stronger than the tongue.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Fantastic piece of advice Elantra man. In chennai, the fist is always stronger than the tongue.
Ha ha! Excellent advice! I would add a small piece of my own. If there is more than one scum, select the largest one and neutralize him first. The rest will usually scram without much ado.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th January 2010 at 17:30.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Klassics45, I have just one advice to you.

Be a Man !

First of all, that was below the belt dude! Second thing is being a man is not about ignoring the risks involved, hving said that the line has to be drawn between being protective and being over protective. Girls always face harrasment from these uncivilised so called citizens of india(who BTW are present in every country of the world) and trust me girls are well aware to handle these situations better than we think they are. Being protective and giving them the necessary helping hand is ok but if you plan to show you are more man enough beat the living daylights out of these eveteasers when you are with some one is absolute madness.

I just feel one thing could prevent all the issues, Keep your "EGO DOWN" during such instances. Always remember when you get into a situation always think of getting out of it rather than complicating it further. Best example is if a cop catches you and tries to harass you dot waste time teaching him law insted try striking a deal and get out of there.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2010, 18:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
KUDI magans of chennai.

Hilarious man. A new word added to my dictionary.
Old 27th January 2010, 18:08   #21
BHPian

@ElantraGT, Its better in cities. the thought came up 'cos if this is happening in the day light (second incident was near yellow pages in RK salai) and in one of the safe areas in chennai then how hard or how different it would be when you are out in highways or ghat roads or different state where you dont the regional language.

@pramodkumar, very true. you are from chennai so you know about triplicane. he is surely a local guy and if we for fist talk then im sure people would have jumped in from all corners and in these places there is no explanation, you get the hit first and then if luck prevails you get a chance to explain.
Old 27th January 2010, 18:24   #22
J.Ravi

klassics45,

I usually do long trips like Bangalore-Chennai/Pondy/Trichy during nights. Leave my home in Bangalore by 11 pm or 12 midnight and reach the destination early in the morning by 5 - 6 am, the next day. The main advantage of doing night journey is all the anti-social/anti-national/drunken/rowdy elements and trouble makers would have called it a day by the time you start your journey and you can safely reach your destination well before they start their next shift!

Old 27th January 2010, 20:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
klassics45,

I usually do long trips like Bangalore-Chennai/Pondy/Trichy during nights. Leave my home in Bangalore by 11 pm or 12 midnight and reach the destination early in the morning by 5 - 6 am, the next day. The main advantage of doing night journey is all the anti-social/anti-national/drunken/rowdy elements and trouble makers would have called it a day by the time you start your journey and you can safely reach your destination well before they start their next shift!
Yes, I do agree with you. I also prefer only night journeys to avoid such things. I always travel with my parents and brother from Hyd to Guntur via Sagar. I did not face any problem in the night drives but once when I am travelling during a day time, a cyclist come in my way all of a sudden.

I almost had hit him but thanks to my car it responded exactly the same as I wished and I ended up in a dump yard. If I missed that I would be in a small lake there.

And my mom is my best driving partner
Old 27th January 2010, 21:03   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
klassics45,

That is true upto an extent, most serious commuters only travel at night! However, this is applicable only outside City, In City.. nights are havocs.!

Over all, you never know when you luck gives up whether it's day or night I believe in destiny!

Am damn scared of dogs in bangalore at night, all of them aspire to suicide in front of my car while going home back at night
Old 27th January 2010, 22:28   #25
BANNED

To all those giving out advice regarding hitting first and being man on the street, watch a little less of movies and get real before its too late.

I am sure all those giving the above advice dont know jack about self defense.

@pramodkumar: Good post.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2010, 05:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
To all those giving out advice regarding hitting first and being man on the street, watch a little less of movies and get real before its too late.

@pramodkumar: Good post.
Very well said. Couldn't agree more
Old 28th January 2010, 07:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry about this one off experience. Try to ignore wherever possible not to indulge in one and move off the place. Sometimes you do need to give your piece of mind but better try to avoid it.
I have driven many many places on indian highways and my wife was always with me, never encountered such issues.

If you ask me, Chennai is one of the safest place for that matter.
Abhi
Old 28th January 2010, 08:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting and informative thread that i've bumped into lately. I have a mixed opinion regarding this topic in discussion.

I've traveled across the length and breadth of the country ( Jammu to karnataka at different occassions ) in my car at all times of the day/night with my wifey along however i was fortunate enough not to encounter any adverse situation like some of the people discussed here , on the contrary i came across a situation in Delhi where a drunk driver rear ended me on a signal and on top of that was giving cold stares to me and my wife ( wife was driving ) when we got down from the car to check the damage. Although there was not much damage to the car but i was really furious and wanted to pick up a fight but somehow controlled myself merely because my wife was with me and it was kind of late in the night.

I would agree with most of the people here that you need to keep your CALM in such situations specially in cities like Delhi and Mumbai wherein there have been so many cases of road rage incidents where people have ended up dying.

Last edited by harishnayak : 28th January 2010 at 08:10. Reason: spelling
Old 28th January 2010, 09:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Never get in to fight when you are with a girlfriend

I have been living in chennai for the past 30 years and belive me I have seen my fare share of people. What happened with your friends car with that drunkard is something that is unavoidable in triplicane. Dont stop yourself from taking your friends and family out because of these incidence. I have seen that most of our friends here have provided you with enough tips for safety for long drives. For the city drive I would recommend the following.
* Donot drive in lonely lanes late at night
* Donot park near any TASMAC shops
* Friday and Sunday nights are two days that you need to watch out for the KUDI magans of chennai.
* When you cross a TASMAC shop watch out for idiots who drink and take the car/bike and come directly in the middle of the road to drive straight
* Take things a bit cooly if you are not from that area. You dont know what kind of people you are dealing with.

Try to relax and dont let these small incidents ruin your drives. Have fun my friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I would add a small piece of my own. If there is more than one scum, select the largest one and neutralize him first. The rest will usually scram without much ado.
Quote:

Hey, cool it! Nobody is giving frivolous advise. It is specific to the scenario presented by the OP, when in spite of one's efforts, a confrontation is inevitable. The key word is "unavoidable", because discretion is the better part of valor, after all.

Last edited by Gansan : 28th January 2010 at 10:05.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:27   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very true, same goes to the people who carry hockey sticks and other long objects for self defence.

Quote:
John, sorry to burst your bubble. But the fist is not that strong. Actually, the human skull is lot harder than the fist. If you punch on the face hard, you will break your finger bones. Only exceptions are people who have regular breaking practice on cement/wooden blocks, their finger/wrist bones have much higher density due to constant pounding.

Any kind of street fight is a highly fluid situation, there is no guaranteed result, no matter how expert you are in fighting. Even experts consider street fights as the most dangerous kind of fight even compared to the ring fights against top rated fighters. There are no rules, you have no idea who you are up against and even how many. In a street fight, it is a wise policy to retreat politely, even at the expense of your pride and sense of justice.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks