Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 17:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Has there been an increase in Accidents lately?

Hi,

I don't know if its just me or there really has been in an increase in the number of road mishaps this year. What do you guys feel?

I had been warned by a friend that I should be safe for the next few months, as 'Astrologically' speaking this is a bad time for everyone to have accidents. Being the person that I am, I did not pay much heed to his well meant advice.

Personally for me I was directly and indirectly involved with 2 accidents in span of just days. Then I see across the various automobile forums here about the number of accidents that are happening, its just alarming.

For me at a personal level, I've decided to reduce biking and move over to a safer mode of transport on 4 wheels.

But have any of you noticed this trend in the increase of accidents too or is it just my post-accident trauma triggering weird mental responses!
Old 16th February 2010, 17:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are yearly/quartery reports on number of accident deaths and injuries released by some/all RTOs/Goverment authorities for awareness. Need to source them.
Old 16th February 2010, 17:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

praful, if i had to say a certain time of year was a "bad time for everyone to have accidents" -- i'd probably pick the start of the monsoon. Atleast in the affected areas.

Similar to how tons of accidents take place on the days with the first few snow-falls in colder countries.

cya
R
Old 16th February 2010, 18:08   #4
BHPian

@Rehaan, also new yrs eve etc as lots of drunk drivers on the roads!

Apart from that, I don't think there is any great increase in number (each day more vehicles get added to our roads and obviously higher the probability of accidents too )

Not sure if astrology takes that into account ? ;-) (they sure take newly discovered planets into account - e.g Pluto )
Old 16th February 2010, 18:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
For me at a personal level, I've decided to reduce biking and move over to a safer mode of transport on 4 wheels.
Just would like to correct it by saying - 4 wheelers, little safer than bikes, but no exception on injury.

Anyway, I agree with you too. I see lot of people being very careless on the road, call it jaywalker, jaydrivers or jaybikers. I hate to see people driving in wrong way. During late 80's I've never seen a single cyclist in a wrong way. I saw a change in this trend during mid 90's cyclist coming in right lane but not bikers; in late 90's it was quite common to see bikers in right lanes; now its quite common to see the cars & even some vans in right lanes, they switch ON the lights!!! really getting on my nerves. Why would someone leave way for them when they're in the wrong lane. If this is not controlled now, I'm very sure of more mishaps to happen creating very dangerous driving situation for our children.

BTW, I'm observed the above incidents in proper Chennai city & not at an ongoing highway construction.
Old 16th February 2010, 18:49   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

I don't know if its just me or there really has been in an increase in the number of road mishaps this year. What do you guys feel?

I had been warned by a friend that I should be safe for the next few months, as 'Astrologically' speaking this is a bad time for everyone to have accidents. Being the person that I am, I did not pay much heed to his well meant advice.

Personally for me I was directly and indirectly involved with 2 accidents in span of just days. Then I see across the various automobile forums here about the number of accidents that are happening, its just alarming.

But have any of you noticed this trend in the increase of accidents too or is it just my post-accident trauma triggering weird mental responses!

According to me, this completely depends on the place and infrastructure. More vehicles+Bad infrastructure = More accidents.
Like wise, mentality of the drivers/riders change.
More vehicles+Bad infrastructure = More risky driving
Old 17th February 2010, 10:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
There are yearly/quartery reports on number of accident deaths and injuries released by some/all RTOs/Goverment authorities for awareness. Need to source them.
Would they be ready to part with the necessary information?

And any idea how to go about sourcing them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
praful, if i had to say a certain time of year was a "bad time for everyone to have accidents" -- i'd probably pick the start of the monsoon. Atleast in the affected areas.

Similar to how tons of accidents take place on the days with the first few snow-falls in colder countries.

cya
R
No I din't mean a bad time of year in general. What I meant is specifically the last 45-60 days have seen in an increase in the number of road mishaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just would like to correct it by saying - 4 wheelers, little safer than bikes, but no exception on injury.
A 4 wheelers will protect the occupants much more than a 2 wheeler, in a two wheeler you are more exposed and hence prone to injury. But this is speaking about personal injury only, if a third person is involved in the accident then of course their injuries might be more severe with a 4 wheeler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
According to me, this completely depends on the place and infrastructure. More vehicles+Bad infrastructure = More accidents.
Like wise, mentality of the drivers/riders change.
More vehicles+Bad infrastructure = More risky driving
Again, I was not speaking of any particular city in particular. I noticed this trend across various cities and highways in the last month or two where either people I directly or indirectly know are involved in accidents.

example: My mishap took place on the GQ in MH, 2 days later on the same trip my friends mishap took place again on the GQ but 500 kms ahead in KA.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
@Praful and @Rehaan, Usually in the month of December and January the accident rate is very high. From Dec 10/15 to Jan 20/25th. This I have noticed from almost 8-10 years. I don't know about the years before that as I didn't think of cars at that time.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:48   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi,

I don't know if its just me
You

Quote:
I had been warned by a friend that I should be safe for the next few months, as 'Astrologically' speaking this is a bad time for everyone to have accidents.

Quote:
You were at the wrong place at the wrong time,
or may be Jesus Christ saw you doing something real bad and punished this way

Quote:
If you aren't feeling safe, avoid two-wheelers for a while

Quote:
I will say it is a post accident trauma

^^can you provide an insight of your accident?
would like to know how astrology affects here

Go to the same spot and inspect why you fell/crashed/hit someone, it will be of help,
introspect-shall provide you answers,
Old 17th February 2010, 11:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

You are just fretting too much. My only life threatening episode was in the car - not on the bike. YMMV.

Wait till you've clocked some serious miles on the car and we'll talk

Stupidity (or bad luck) transcends the number of wheels one has!
Old 17th February 2010, 11:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

If you aren't feeling safe, avoid two-wheelers for a while

I will say it is a post accident trauma

^^can you provide an insight of your accident?
would like to know how astrology affects here

Go to the same spot and inspect why you fell/crashed/hit someone, it will be of help,
introspect-shall provide you answers,
Well I din't really believe the astro(ill)ogical twist to it. But only thing worrying is the increase in the number of mishaps that I have noticed off late.

The cause of my accident was purely bad luck, no mistake on my part nor the mistake of my friend who crashed. But all due to the mistake of a third person, but at the end of the day both me and my friend paid a heavy price in different aspects. There was nothing that could be done to avoid it too, it just happened. **** Happens!

But what I am trying to figure out if there is really an increase offlate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You are just fretting too much. My only life threatening episode was in the car - not on the bike. YMMV.

Wait till you've clocked some serious miles on the car and we'll talk

Stupidity (or bad luck) transcends the number of wheels one has!
Amen to the part in bold. Bad luck can happen anywhere, even on a 18 wheeler.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:29   #12
BHPian

At the rate the vehicular population is increasing and given the state of road infrastructure in Bangalore especially, I'm not surprised at all. Could it be that the number of vehicles purchased is higher at certain periods of the year and so accident rate also proportionally increases?
Old 17th February 2010, 12:37   #13
BHPian

Here is a study, though not latest, but it shows a lot interesting data about accident.

Source : medind.nic.in/iaj/t04/i1/iajt04i1p20o.pdf

Pertinent facts

1. January has seen most accidents and most victims. We start with a bang!
2. Sundays and holidays have witnessed most accidents.
3. 24.5% have mentioned that road was wet at the time of accident.

Hence, we have some idea about bad time to have accidents.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Study.pdf (225.7 KB, 3104 views)

Last edited by rule breaker : 17th February 2010 at 12:52.
Old 17th February 2010, 17:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule breaker View Post
1. January has seen most accidents and most victims. We start with a bang!
2. Sundays and holidays have witnessed most accidents.
3. 24.5% have mentioned that road was wet at the time of accident.

Hence, we have some idea about bad time to have accidents.
at least in some way we are aping West, but not as we want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful
But what I am trying to figure out if there is really an increase offlate?
You can't ride/drive and sit infornt of PC(poor soul, the horrid time shall soon be over, Amen!) and read news papers, what do you expect to read and
i agree to what this sir has to say, law of averages might catch you up sometimes with you being unawares
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini
At the rate the vehicular population is increasing and given the state of road infrastructure in Bangalore especially, I'm not surprised at all. Could it be that the number of vehicles purchased is higher at certain periods of the year and so accident rate also proportionally increases?
Agree to your views sir

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks