Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Once while driving back to Bangalore from Goa, I had a bad experience. A German guy was driving our Scorpio at around 120 kmph, and he flew over an unmarked speed bump. Nothing happened to the occupants, as we all wore seat belts. But my laptop was on my lap and it flew and hit the ceiling, and its screen got damaged. I had to pay nearly 27k for the new monitor :-(
Old 10th March 2010, 15:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

In and around bangalore there are many speedbreakers without any colors or any boards. Its very difficult to judge them in the night. Many times i jumped because of failing to identify them.
Govt authority is careless and i dont know when things will improve.
Old 10th March 2010, 15:53   #33
BHPian

We need standard markings all across the country. Different representations cause a lot of chaos
Old 10th March 2010, 16:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
We need standard markings all across the country. Different representations cause a lot of chaos
To start with, atleast some marking to distinguish the hump from the rest of road would do.

Often I end up asking my wife to watch out for these. Night driving is a nightmare.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:13   #35
Team-BHP Support

Many of these speed breakers are illegal. For example, there is a toll road which goes from Gurgaon to Alwar. The road is in no great shape, but the real party poopers are speed breakers made of mud or something. They are almost invisible even during daytime, and dot every one of the countless villages. Villagers made these speed breakers so that traffic is forced to slow down when passing though these villages. The least they could have done is put up some warning signs!
Old 10th March 2010, 18:15   #36
BHPian

Speed breakers on 4 laned NH7

Newly 4 laned Bangalore Hyderabad highway has lot of speed breakers between Devanahalli & AP border.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

A whole lot of speed breakers were removed in Koramangala in Bangalore, and new speedbreakers with high width and flat tops have been installed, using interlocking concrete blocks. These are doubling up as zebra crossings with proper paint markings. This is a good beginning to end the saga of unmarked speed breakers, I guess!

Mercifully, these are being limited to iumportant junctions only, as of now. But the flip side is the low height of these speed breakers, due to which vehicles can negotiate them even at 30 kmph
Old 17th March 2010, 20:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

There is one near Mohammed Sathak college, Sholinganallur. It is literally invisible in the night. There are no lights there, and unless you drive regularly in that stretch the chances are you are in for an unpleasant surprise.

Once my friend had an accident there, he hit that speed breaker at full speed on his Scooty and got thrown off quite a distance when he hit it. Miraculously no major injury. He managed to ride till the road that takes left to Global Hospital, but couldnt continue after that, so he called me from there.

Apart from that I have seen many cars hitting their bumpers on this unexpected bump that passes in the name of a speed breaker.
Old 17th March 2010, 22:00   #39
BHPian

A mini mountain has come up near Esteem Mall on the new airport road. Be careful while driving down from BIAL towards Bangalore city
Old 18th March 2010, 07:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi kadri, thanks for the tip. I am driving down to BIAL on Sunday.

Pardon me, but where is Esteem Mall located, so I can be prepared ?
Old 18th March 2010, 07:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post
Newly 4 laned Bangalore Hyderabad highway has lot of speed breakers between Devanahalli & AP border.
Ohh please tell me about it. I'm sure you meant between Chickbalapur and BIAL. These are unmarked and unpleasant. By the time we see these in the night there is nothing much to do other than pump the brakes and and hope to get side ways. I have burnt enough tyres in one trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post

This is somewhere between when you leave hebbal flyover and BIAL. But there are enough people slowing down so you cannot miss it in the night or in the day time.
Old 18th March 2010, 07:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Speed breaker on Thane Belapur road

People travelling by Thane Belapur would vouch for the mini hills installed especially the ones after the Ghansoli station near Reliance Knowlegde city. This stretch till the Vashi flyover has n number of Speed bumps and huge ones too, have to negotiate with vehicle in first gear or 100% chances of bottom scraping. Add to this the locals crossing the roads as if they are walking in a garden. The speeds do not go above 30kmph. None of the speed breakers mentioned are marked and are a dangerous lot when travelling at nights.
God what were the civic authorities thinking when they built those speed breakers, I suppose they had a little over smart brains.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:03   #43
BHPian

Ghod, these breakers (coz they are just that) on the Thane-Belapur Road are put up at road crossings, like the Railance one. And they do have a marking. There's a flashing red light, like a signal, right next to the breaker. The same technique is used on the Shil Phata - Dombivli Road. So you can spot these monsters from afar
Old 18th March 2010, 17:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi kadri, thanks for the tip. I am driving down to BIAL on Sunday.

Its after Colombia Asia Hospital , near to Hebbal fly over. They have now put a big electronic display also.

I can see oil and petrol leakage after the hump, i think many of them have ignored it and damaged the car.

The speed breaker is really dangerous and unscientific.

They had put this big hump after few major truck crashes but now its damaging the bottom of cars.

And in bike you feel going up and coming down the mountain.
Old 18th March 2010, 18:28   #45
J.Ravi

1. Big, crude and unmarked humps are on Magadi Road plus road-widening work is also in progress. 2. Ditto on Nice Road exit ramp towards Tumkur and 3. on Tumkur BP. I got my Fiat Linea's bottom scraped thrice at these places during my recent Bangalore to Goa trip. On the return journey from Pune to Bangalore, my Fiat Linea's bottom was scraped four times, twice each near Davangere and Tumkur BP. All these bottom-scraping happened in Karnataka only, not in Goa, not in Maharashtra. It's time Karnataka PWD/NHAI/NICE engineers learnt a lesson or two from their Goan/Maharashtrian counterparts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks