Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 14:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Speed breakers with no markings or signs

I have seen many speed breakers without the yellow or white stripes making it difficult to judge the speed breaker. This is very much evident in Thane and even in Hiranandani Powai where almost none of the speed breakes are highlighted. Even the sign boards depicting the breakers are not available. Even if available either they are camouflaged with trees or taller vehicles.
The other day when I was returning from my office in Hiranandani Powai, I was tailing behind an Honda Accord. The speed was about 30-40 kms. The Accord could not see the speed breaker and screeched suddenly but could not avoid scrapping the bottom. Since I maintained a good distance, I could go over the breaker without any hassles. Pood Accod guy, had to get down and have look at the underbody to see the damage.
has anyone encountered such incidents.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Still the dangerous thing is that when you are riding at around 50-60 and if it is night time then you will be shocked to see 2 wheels flying above the road. For cars it will be like shaking up the entire system at that speed if it jumps on a speed breaker without markings. There is also a danger of potential accident due to slipping of the handle bar after the vehicle lands
Old 18th February 2010, 15:20   #3
BHPian

Forget going over the speed breakers at 50 - 60 Kms. Lets talk about the crude speed breakers that are locally manufactured by the society guys. These are never up to standards and they are created using concrete mixturs in the form of a small hill. These speed breakers are illegal and even the authorities are not bothered about it. Every time I pass these speed breakers my Zens bottom gets scrapped. So two months once I end up checking the underbody of Zen for any tell tale signs of damage.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

^^+1 to this and to add one more thing, There will always be a big crater next to the humps while getting down. So if you are riding fast either the vehicle will be on you or you will be eating the dust.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:26   #5
BHPian

Ghodlur, such incidents are a dime a dozen

Forget warning boards, most speed breakers are constructed minus any planning, in an almost stealth-style. You don't notice one till you are almost upon it.

On a know route you can at least remember where the demons lie. But on a new road it's best to latch on to a pilot vehicle and keep a sharp eye out for the brake lights lighting up. There could be a speed breaker lying in wait.

Drive safe

PS: Since you seem to be from Ghodbunder, the half-breakers from Thane city deserve a special mention here. It seems someone took up the task of removing them, and then lost interest midway!
Old 18th February 2010, 16:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have encountered the worst speed breakers in Mysore, on my way back to Pune from Ooty. The speed breakers started appearing at regular intervals after we exited Mysore city. I flew over the first one at 60 kmph, because it was so well disguised and I had to screech to a halt before the second one! My speed dropped to 40 kmph automatically.

The second stretch that comes to my mind is the Yellapore route on NH 17. They have made numerous rumbling strips before each village and again I screeched to a halt after applying sudden brakes!!!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 18th February 2010 at 16:43.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ahh yes. The omnipresent danger one encounters when traveling through the villages in Haryana and UP.

Every villager seems to require a speedbreaker in front of his house.

The dimensions are no one's concern. Just heap some gravel and make it as bumpy as possible so that every chickens out and slows down.

Now a Zebra crossing ought to be outlined IIRC. Some smart alecs decide to test their art and draw outlines on speed breakers as well or vice versa.

Well, its all a part of driving in India.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:54   #8
BHPian

It is very common in India, I believe in all cities.

In city, I drive only on known roads for daily commute. If I have to drive on roads new to me, I very keenly observe the vehicle in front of me (from a safe distance) to warn me of the convex and concave deviations of the road surface. If I forget this, I end up braking hard before a speed breaker or a pot hole.

It is fine in city, I remember while going to Mysore, on the highway, there was a speed breaker for no reason in the middle of no where. The road until then was so good that everyone was above 80kmph+. I managed to brake hard (trying to avoid the alto in front which had also braked suddenly), the Santro behind me managed to brake in time, but the vehicle behind the Santro gave a kiss to the rear of the Santro.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Unmarked brakers under tree shadows w/o marking are a problem even during the day time. Make it makes rubber burn and not mention all the rear passengers uncomfortable. Tell me about it. I have had many such experiences specially enroute Devanhalli to Chikballapur at night.
Old 18th February 2010, 19:06   #10
BHPian

Sadly this is very common all over the country. We've had some car-almost-in-the-air experiences. Such is the problem that the driver needs to ask the front passenger to notify him of a speed breaker if he sees one. So that even if the driver misses it, the co-passenger can tell him to slow down.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Beat this- there is a flyover in Poonamalle (Madras), and while you are coming down the flyover, there is one mega bump - on the flyover itself, right before it ends! And yes, it is not marked (last time I crossed it was not - and yes I flew over it!!)
Old 18th February 2010, 20:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Beat this- there is a flyover in Poonamalle (Madras), and while you are coming down the flyover, there is one mega bump - on the flyover itself, right before it ends! And yes, it is not marked (last time I crossed it was not - and yes I flew over it!!)
What? a bump as you get down from a flyover? This is hights of insanity.

Phoenix, is this bump on the byepass flyover or on the new flyover that goes in to the town? I will watch out the next time I go through that place.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have seen many speed breakers without the yellow or white stripes making it difficult to judge the speed breaker. This is very much evident in Thane and even in Hiranandani Powai where almost none of the speed breakes are highlighted. Even the sign boards depicting the breakers are not available. Even if available either they are camouflaged with trees or taller vehicles.
The other day when I was returning from my office in Hiranandani Powai, I was tailing behind an Honda Accord. The speed was about 30-40 kms. The Accord could not see the speed breaker and screeched suddenly but could not avoid scrapping the bottom. Since I maintained a good distance, I could go over the breaker without any hassles. Pood Accod guy, had to get down and have look at the underbody to see the damage.
has anyone encountered such incidents.
hey buddy, i stay in hiranandani powai. i was surprised when you said that none of the speed breakers are marked over here!

on the contrary, all speedbreakers (except for one after the circle near L.H. Hiranandani hospital) here are marked with diagonal white strips. Yes, they maybe faded with time but it is definitely marked!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 18th February 2010 at 20:31.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have been a victim of these so called speed-breakers. I am not sure if they are meant to break the speed or the vehicle itself. The last time I was driving down from Tirupathi (via Kalahasthi), I had to hit one of these at a speed of 80+km and in addition to my car taking off for a fraction of a second, my CD player which was functioning very well stopped abruptly. It then gave me an error called "TOC Error". Had to live without music for the rest of my journey.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:41   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hey buddy, i stay in hiranandani powai. i was surprised when you said that none of the speed breakers are marked over here!

on the contrary, all speedbreakers (except for one after the circle near L.H. Hiranandani hospital) here are marked with diagonal white strips. Yes, they maybe faded with time but it is definitely marked!
bro if you take a right into hiranandani from the jogeshwari link road none of the speedbreakers are marked on that road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks