Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 12:57   #1
BHPian

My Car on a small fire, saved by MASS

I had given my car for routine service on Tuesday 23rd Feb 10 to MASS. All was fine when I handed over the car in the morning.

Late afternoon I had a call from Nikhil that the car had arrived at his place for Wheel Balancing and Alignment and we had a small chat.

Evening I was on my way to the service centre when the service supervisor called to ask me about details of where my Amp was placed and he also informed that there was a short circuit and there was a small fire inside the car and also fumes in the engine bay. They put the fire out in the nick of time as it was too close to the fuel lines.

Major damage was the ICE cable which burned and may be the Amp is dead - need to get this checked. The major issue why this had occurred was the so-called expert ICE workshop who had installed the ICE in my car had not put any Fuse Box. The wires connected to the Amp under the drivers seat were cut then the seat was moved.

I did not blame the MASS as it could have happened to me anywhere and I would have just stood and watched the car on fire but here these guys saved it by extingushing the same in the nick of time.

Yesterday the Car was not cranking up and the fan was continously in the 'on' mode whenever the key was inserted. They suspected damage to the ECM, the mechanics analysed the cause where a terminal was affected and they got the same replaced. I was handed over the car late last night after they service supervisor and DM - Works had tested the car for 50-60 KMs in the city to check for any other issues.

Thanks to MASS for providing me a loaner car, getting the repairs done without extra charge and finally for saving my black beauty.

I dont have any pictures at present but was informed that the MASS team did have a few will try and get them to upload here.

Mods: Hope this is the right thread to write this if not request you to move the same.

Last edited by Hurrycane12 : 25th February 2010 at 12:59. Reason: Corrections
Old 25th February 2010, 13:33   #2
BANNED

Oh frigg, thats scary. Good that there was minimal damage.

So who is the installer?
Old 25th February 2010, 14:20   #3
BHPian

Installer is in Chennai, had done my ICE job way back in Sept 2008; what luck nothing happened so far.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hurrycane, thank heavens the fire was put out in time!
Did you mention the symptoms you had noticed earlier when giving the car in for service?
Old 25th February 2010, 15:32   #5
BHPian

Hey Benny, no symptoms at all it was just a routine qtrly service after 5000 kms. The only issue I was facing was ratting from the bonnet, wheel alignment and clutch setting.

The ICE was working fine, no burn odour or any other suspicious things which I noticed. What i heard from the MASS chaps was that the car seat movement would have cut the Amp wires and hence the short circuit.

Indeed lucky that the fire was put off on time else I would be writing a sad story hear
Old 25th February 2010, 15:39   #6
BHPian

Hurrycane thats scary. Kudos to the quick thinking of the MASS guys. I am not sure if the seat movements would cut the cables to the AMP unless otherwise the cables are hindering the movement of the seat in the railing. Did you use a cable tie to group/secure the cables or did you leave it lying around the seat? I am sure your guardian angel was watching over your car. Thank the guy who saved your car from getting damaged further. I would recommend you to junk the existing cables and go for a quality one (the gurus here can help you choose wisely) and a Quality guy to do the installation.

Edit:
Just noticed your garage, thatsa nicely maintained Baleno. Tough luck buddy. Do post the pictures of the engine bay and the wiring harness.

Last edited by ElantraGT : 25th February 2010 at 15:40.
Old 25th February 2010, 17:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
I had given my car for routine service on Tuesday 23rd Feb 10 to MASS. All was fine when I handed over the car in the morning.

Late afternoon I had a call from Nikhil that the car had arrived at his place for Wheel Balancing and Alignment and we had a small chat.

I did not blame the MASS as it could have happened to me anywhere and I would have just stood and watched the car on fire but here these guys saved it by extingushing the same in the nick of time.
I was handed over the car late last night after they service supervisor and DM - Works had tested the car for 50-60 KMs in the city to check for any other issues.

Thanks to MASS for providing me a loaner car, getting the repairs done without extra charge and finally for saving my black beauty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Hey Benny, no symptoms at all it was just a routine qtrly service after 5000 kms. The only issue I was facing was ratting from the bonnet, wheel alignment and clutch setting.

The ICE was working fine, no burn odour or any other suspicious things which I noticed. What i heard from the MASS chaps was that the car seat movement would have cut the Amp wires and hence the short circuit.

Indeed lucky that the fire was put off on time else I would be writing a sad story hear

Why do i get a suspicious feeling that MASS is to be blamed. Just read the points I have made bold. Where on earth would they test a car for 50-60 kms? Also, you should have noticed some symptoms with the 2 year old ICE install by now. if at all there was any issue.
I guess they (MASS) might have used your car for some personal purpose, or it was some accident at their end which they are trying to cover up. Wires getting cut when moving the seat and causing short circuit, come on, they could have come up with something better.
And top it all off they do the work for free If I were you, I wouldn't believe a word they say.

PS: Why does MASS has to take the car to Nikhil's to do the alignment work? If they don't have the facility, you should have taken time time to get the work done yourself IMO.
Old 25th February 2010, 18:49   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why do i get a suspicious feeling that MASS is to be blamed.
Same feeling here, but I guess there would be hardly anything Hurricane can do now. Moreover, they repaired the damage without any cost, even if proved guilty I don't think they have left much room for penalties
Old 25th February 2010, 23:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

There's no way to go back and straighten things out with the ICE installer. If it was in B'lore then something could have been done. There does seem to be something fishy in this episode, with the service center doing the needful in a jiffy. Which place is this?
Old 26th February 2010, 00:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Woah! That is scary Hurrycane!

However, considering that the service manager there, Mr. Ajay is known very well to you, I doubt MASS did any golmaal. Unless the service guys did it without Mr. Ajay knowing about it! In which case, no one is safe!
Old 26th February 2010, 04:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why do i get a suspicious feeling that MASS is to be blamed.
I was also thinking the same way, but not sure whether to post it or not. If it wasn't their mistake why would someone carry out the repairs for free of cost? There are 50:50 chances.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:04   #12
BHPian

I dont think I can blame the MASS guys I only have to blame the installer for the errors.

The Amp was installed under the drivers seat (not on the floor), no fuse box installed for the Amp. The wire were bunched together and taped. Considering that the Amp was under the seat the installer would have left some extra harness for movement of the seat and this must have got jammed or ripped over a period of time, which i dont think I would have noticed as it was below the seat and least expected this to cause a issue.

Usually after a fire incident before handing the car back I am told that the service advisor, along with a couple of mechanics do test the car for 50-60 kms before ensuring all is well and there is not problem with the car. I was at the service centre when the car was taken for this test and was told to note down the ODO reading.

As for taking the car to Nikhils place, I had asked the MASS guys to do the needful, and this is a regular demand from my end which they are aware.

The repairs were free and a loaner car (Wagon R) was also provided and I got to know the reasons when I picked my car the next day. I was told by the DM & GM - Works that the accident happened at their workshop hence it was their responsibility. Also when I arrived at the scene I was not fuming, screaming but I was cool and made a point to thank them for saving the car. I was told that very few customers behave this way and may be another reason why I got treated well, just my assumption.

Do note I am not trying to defend the MASS chaps here, I have been servicing all my cars there since 2003 and almost everyone is know to me there not even at their service centre but also at the accident repair workshop a few kms away and I can positively say I get 5 star treatment just as my car gets at Nikhils place.

Last edited by Hurrycane12 : 26th February 2010 at 09:08. Reason: add a para
Old 26th February 2010, 09:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

From experiences around me, I've come to the strong conclusion that something that needs fairly extensive rewiring - such as ICE installation, needs to be done by a professional installer; even if it means paying slightly more for that confirmed peace-of-mind. Unfortunately, most of the accessory shops that pop-up like mushrooms havent a single clue on professional installation and arent known for their strong ethics in not gypping customers.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:48   #14
BHPian

Some one said 50:50 chances. from my experience of MASS, I would also like to think of the other 50. The one that MASS took responsibility of the fire because "they" did not see it coming. After all they do need to check the car thoroughly before, during and after the servicing. So Good CS from MASS.
Compared to most other A.S.S where the workshop manager would just ask you to claim insurance since ICE was 2 years old and not installed at their A.S.S. Owner of car would have a frustrating experience just to get the car repaired and back.
Old 26th February 2010, 17:24   #15
BHPian

theMAG: I had got the job done in Chennai and it was a professional setup and not run of the mill shop on the roadside. I actually took time off to go there and get the job done by staying for a couple of days. Infact even I am now surprised by their professionalism.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks