Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Skoda Superb Accident EDIT: Now Repaired

Hi, a week ago my Skoda Superb met with an accident. I was being dropped home by my driver(I am underaged so I have a driver). On straight main open road we were doing approximately 80 km/h. This road is attached by two other small roads on the left and right. Hence making this road the main road. Out of nowhere a Swift comes out at at least 60 km/h and hits the rear right side of my Superb. I get out of the car and see that this guy is drunk to the core. And introduces himself as a doctor.

He apologizes and admits his fault, since he somehow knew my dad. His story was that he wanted to get to the road on the left but did not realize there was a main road, since the main road is lower in hight the the other two roads. The road creates a + where the horizontal line is the main road.

His car is damaged pretty badly. My Superb has a dented fender, scratched alloy, my bumper has fallen, rear tail light broken and mainly a bent axel.

In the last picture you can clearly see the bent axel.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb Accident EDIT: Now Repaired-img_0373.jpg  

Skoda Superb Accident EDIT: Now Repaired-img_0372.jpg  

Skoda Superb Accident EDIT: Now Repaired-img_0374.jpg  

Skoda Superb Accident EDIT: Now Repaired-img_0375.jpg  

Skoda Superb Accident EDIT: Now Repaired-img_0378.jpg  

Skoda Superb Accident EDIT: Now Repaired-img_0480.jpg  

Skoda Superb Accident EDIT: Now Repaired-img_0481.jpg  

Old 26th March 2010, 22:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats a bad crash! Bad luck man!
Old 26th March 2010, 22:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Thats a bad crash! Bad luck man!
Is it a bad crash? Only the bumper and a wheel is conked! Why a thread for this? Just post such pics in Accidents thread!

Last edited by arun1100 : 26th March 2010 at 22:07.
Old 26th March 2010, 22:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Is it a bad crash? Only the bumper and a wheel is conked! Why a thread for this? Just post such pics in Accidents thread!
It doesn't look like a bad crash cause the axel has taken all the beating. If we were a little slower the guy would have hit the drivers door and seriously injured him.
Old 26th March 2010, 22:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Arun, a thread for this because it's his personal experience.

The Accidents thread is for random pics of random accidents.

Indra, I'm glad nothing much happened to you. I hope that drunkard pays for your loss as well. You shouldnt have to use your insurance for this kind of an accident.
Old 26th March 2010, 22:41   #6
BHPian

Glad that nothing happened to you. And good to know that you don't drive since you are <18 (Like me)

If that's the damage caused to the Skoda, I can very well understand the damage to the Swift. Though I guess repairing the much damaged Swift will be cheaper to repair than the Skoda.

O.T : If a car has a side crash at a much higher speed, do the side airbags pop out?
Old 26th March 2010, 22:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

Indra, I'm glad nothing much happened to you. I hope that drunkard pays for your loss as well. You shouldnt have to use your insurance for this kind of an accident.
He offered to pay, but since he apologized and admitted he was drunk we dint take the offer. Goa is a small state so everyone knows everyone and this was a doctor who was pretty well known. So we decide to let it go.

Prateemkm:The swift was hurt pretty badly. If i had to hit the door and effect the cockpit than yes the airbags would have popped.

Last edited by indra_slk : 26th March 2010 at 22:43.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

thats a sad accident. How much are the repair costs and how much is out of pocket ? With Skoda, you better be more vigilant.
Old 7th April 2010, 22:18   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I must say, the Superb has sure taken the hit well. I'm sure the Swift would have been finished? Legal action should have been taken against the drunk idiot driving the Swift. Last I checked, doctors are supposed to save lives, not take them. What if it was someone on a two wheeler at the same spot, instead of your Superb?
Old 7th April 2010, 22:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

I dont think you should have let him off just because he appologized. Guys like this should be off the road. Forget compensation, you should have called the cops on him.

If he was let off this free, he will never learn a lesson and continue his behaviour till he probably takes either his or someone else's life
Old 7th April 2010, 23:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

The first thing which takes the cake- the doctor (who'd probably a responsible person given his career choice) driving under the influence. Well, I guess not every doctor (or anyone for that matter) happens to be a responsible citizen.
Good that you and your driver weren't injured in the incident. The car can always be fixed, and IMO you ought to have taken atleast a bit of the doc's money for all the damages. What he caused ought to be fixed by him (his car & yours,ie).
Old 8th April 2010, 09:47   #12
BANNED

I would say 80kph or an urban road is not acceptable, nor is 60 on a minor road.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Don't get me wrong but a 60-80 right angle crash, and this less damage on body?
Looks like superb is a tough car.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra_slk View Post
Hi, a week ago my Skoda Superb met with an accident...
Very sad to read about this accident. Glad that there was no personal injury.

It would have been all the more frustrating since it happens to be a well-known doctor, I guess.

That pic of the right rear wheel indicates how forceful that impact was. I think setting right that wheel is the first thing that needs to be done, and this will be a costly affair, compared to the other damages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

Old 8th April 2010, 11:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra_slk View Post
He offered to pay, but since he apologized and admitted he was drunk we dint take the offer. Goa is a small state so everyone knows everyone and this was a doctor who was pretty well known. So we decide to let it go.

Prateemkm:The swift was hurt pretty badly. If i had to hit the door and effect the cockpit than yes the airbags would have popped.
I guess you should have accepted the offer. First of all he was at fault, and if he had realized how much it costs for the Superb to be repaired, he might be more cautious the next time onwards. Secondly even if you can claim insurance to get the repairs done, they will still be costly as, if the car is more than a year old you will have to fork out some portion from your pocket, you lose the NCB advantage and next year you would be paying a higher premium.

My personal opinion is such guys should be hanged to death, but that's my personal opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks