Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 19:23   #1
BHPian

A New Method To Steal Cars?

Today, after had gone to fill petrol in my Honda Dio in the petrol pump at Teen Hath Naka, opposite Eternity Mall, Thane. After I filled petrol, I went to the nimbu pani (lemonade) guy to quench my thirst. I overheard a conversation between 3 guys all in the age group of 20-25. They were talking about cars like Santro, WagonR, Scorpio, etc. I couldn't hear quite properly since they were whispering.

After I drank the lemonade, I went to take my Dio which was parked just next to them. They came up to me and the conversation followed :

Quote:
Guy : We are from Club Mahindra holidays. We have a lucky coupon with which you can win a free trip to any hill station. All the participants will get 2 free movie tickets.

Me : Sorry, not interested guys.

Guy : We need to complete our target. Please give your name and your contact number.

Me : Hmm, name is Prateek and number is 9702****** (Gave a fake number to them)

Guy : Ok, we will call you shortly if you win. Please tell us the details of the car you own.

Me : Umm?? Why is that needed? Club Mahindra is a travel company. Why do you need my car details?

Guy : (Gives some unsatisfactory reply)

Me : (Just to continue the conversation and get more details) I have a Swift and a Cruze.

Guy : Ok, if we call you, tell us you are a Swift owner calling.

Is there any Club Mahindra employee here who can verify if such a scheme is being run? I they they might be car thieves and gathering information regarding the car. Should I make a police complaint? Actually, I am afraid to do that because I don't want to get caught in legal hassles. Wrote this just to warn other guys reading this thread
Old 8th April 2010, 19:38   #2
BHPian

I think they are indeed Club Mahindra sales guys. These ppl are everywhere. I have seen them in shopping complex, malls, multiplexes etc. Its best to avoid them if you are not interested in the concept of timeshare holidays.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
I think they are indeed Club Mahindra sales guys. These ppl are everywhere. I have seen them in shopping complex, malls, multiplexes etc. Its best to avoid them if you are not interested in the concept of timeshare holidays.
I agree. But the manner in which they were talking about cars made me suspect them. And why would somebody need car details for the same?
Old 8th April 2010, 19:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Me : Sorry, not interested guys.
Let the conversation end there!

The knack, as far as the salesman is concerned, is to keep the conversation going, in any way he can. While you're still talking there's a chance; once you've walked away there is none.

Walk away; put the phone down; whatever.

Or... if you want to play wicked, play them along and see how long you can string them out before cutting them off... but the way I look at is that everybody has to earn a living, however objectionable they may be, and it is not fair of me to waste their time.
Old 8th April 2010, 20:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

I don't see anything hidden especially related to stealing cars as I don't see any catch. They're asking if you own a car probably because they're target customers having cars that's all. If someone wants to steal the car, they do it very quietly & suddenly; boom...your car vanishes & not in public right?

Edit - Even if they target this way, say M800 or Nano or give the regn number of some car at your hometown that is far far away

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 20:18.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am fed up of saying "not interested" to them, so I simply give fake information, much less hassle.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

I got a call from some Club Mahindra guys yesterday. I cut the phone immediately after saying "not interested".

I think with the summer vacations in progress, these guys have floored the gas pedal, on an all out sales campaign. Since the guys are all over the place, targeting cars may not be the objective, I feel.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:42   #8
BANNED

This sounds a little skeptical. We never know their plot. I have encountered people like this inside city to fill up the free coupons in malls. They call us winners of lucky draw and have call to visit their place to collect the gift voucher, where in they try to influence people to buy their packages.

Atleast club mahindra wouldnt do it i suppose.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:46   #9
BHPian

I think, maybe this a method used by the marketing guys to evaluate the potential customer based on the value of his car.

Not everyone goes in for Timeshare holidays, unless they can afford it.
So, what better option than targeting people who have cars?

And as AARGEE said, a car thief does not need your personal information.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Car details may be asked to get the income bracket. Accordingly telemarketing calls can be done for relevant products.

I typically end the conversation with the rehearsed line - "Not interested. Thanks for speaking. Bye."
Old 9th April 2010, 12:07   #11
BHPian

Car details are asked to judge a person's financial capactiy. On fuel stations they dont even ask you info of your car unless it is a model which they cant recognise.
I am generally polite with these people because I have seen many a person shooing them away as if they are some pests. Lets try & be in their shoes for a change & feel what they go through. Its a tough job guys!!!
Old 9th April 2010, 12:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Let the conversation end there!
Exactly what I would do..If he continues to hassle you, walk away or ignore him.

Also they were talking about cars, could it be possible that they were discussing that they should promote their deals to people in "such" cars or something like that?

It could have been an innocent conversation for all you know (since you did not hear it entirely) so any complaint would not be taken that seriously by the police anyway.
Old 9th April 2010, 18:51   #13
BHPian

May be they are asking the CAR details to sell the information to insurance guys to sell the auto insurance.
Old 10th April 2010, 03:03   #14
BANNED

Please change the title of the thread. This is nowhere close to stealing cars.

People who steal cars just do it. They don't do market surveys and opinions.

By the way, Could have asked their identity card? I do this always when I am dealing with a stranger. The person got to have some identity and prove it.
Old 10th April 2010, 04:44   #15
BHPian

@Maverick1977, I don't think a sentence or two about dealing with such marketing guys is desultory. I *used* to be polite and friendly at that, until I was taught some lessons. First of, we got a call at my home number (our number was a fancy one and they should have thought we were some big shots) asking us to join a gathering arranged by, if I remember correctly, Club Mahindra. We were told no matter whether we sign up or not to their product we had some exciting gifts in store. Well, long story short, my wife and I were there for close 3 hours. When the guy tried his level best to make us sign in then and there for the product and then failed we were told that they were running short of gifts and they will be mailed to our home address. The gift continues to be on its way till date! Our incentive to go there was the gift and then the curiosity to know what after all that attractive the package in offer could be. Then with the credit card sales guys who hover around ATMs with "Just-your-last-month's-salary-slip-sir" offers, I took the next level of lessons. That said, I won't treat them rude or ignore them but I would wear a tough look so that not many dare to persuade me when a say a 'No' after listening to their offer for a short while. There should be a balance between being gullibly polite and being arrogantly rude. IMO, one should learn to strike just that. Thanks for reading

Now, to the point in question: Like many have opined I don't think they are after your car. Professional thieves would try not even give you a look much less talk to you lest you could identify them later. Getting one's whereabouts / address is as simple as driving behind one till one's residence. Professional thieves are rather crafty. The questions about the make and model of your card is akin to the ones one gets asked when applying for a Rs. 25,000/- loan to be repaid in a year's time. What's the point in asking if he has a microwave oven, home theater and such at home. If one can afford all such luxury why repay a Rs. 25,000/- loan over an year?

Last edited by Iluvcars : 10th April 2010 at 04:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks