Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2004, 04:02   #1
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I am not a Pedal to metal type of Driver, but on Highways I like to Cruise at good speeds.

Its not me Driving this time, but a friend with whom I am going to Jaipur in his IndicaV2 DLS almost 2 years back.

We both were free so decided to drive to Jaipur and back in a days time. its some 250kms of good road (one side).

We got the fuel at 6am and started to race towards the highway, at this time even Delhi's roads are as good as highways. Indica did 90-120 constantly in the city.

Soon the Highway was on and the pedal was welded to the metal.

While going we had 2 worth remembering experiences,
First a Santro, started blowing horn from behind (we were at 110km/h) but how could we give way, we had pedal to the metal (this was always, so I won't be repeating this again), and we were still accelerating (Indica takes time to go further than 110)... The Santro got a bit agitated and Simply changed lane and overtook from the left (we doing 115).. might I add.. effortlessly!!... and we watched each other's face!.. it felt helpless!!.. pedal to the metal what more?
Anyways that Santro soon vanished as he did a lot of left overtaking, and we had decided to follow all rules except the speed limit.

Second was when, we saw a downward slope, it was a bonus and we wanted to make most use of it, not knowing what was ahead. As we touched the 120 mark on the slope it started to look like a curve, but we were so fast that before realising anything we were taking a sharp curve at 140 (thats what we could vaguely see), I was barely sitting on the seat by holding the dash, and the friend was holding the steering tight. Somehow we were out of the curve without flying off (I bet if it were my WagonR it would have flown off the downward sloping curve!!).
As we were out on the straight road at 130+ we had another Santro in front (who must have slowed down a bit for the curve), the poor fellow saw a Indica racing towards him with no intension of losing the hard earned speed. He changed to the left lane as if we threw him off by kicking him. That was funny.

Third was when we were on our way back, We always had this in mind "we need to see 140 on that Speedo".
At this time there was a esteem following us closely. It was afternoon time and very hot so a/c was must. Still we managed to switch off the a/c for a while, as we saw a totally clean road to the horizon. And wow the Indica took its time but eventually touched that 140km/h mark. By the time it did that the cabin was HOT and full of that burning rubber smell. We switch on the a/c and it was better. The Esteem which was behind us was now nowhere.

It was a short eventful trip for us, which we'll always remember.

If anyone is curious about the fuel economy we got 15.5km/l quite good, i'd say.

I must add one thing, This car Handles well.

Old 12th May 2004, 21:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice xperience there. Yeah, i too have seen Santros being ripped on highways. Some have even overtaken me when i was at 120kmph, so i'm guessing they were doing around 140kmph.

Speed is good but not on a roadcar, for a long time. Limit yourself to around 120 everytime you're on a long trip.

I too have my share of speed but when i'm all alone in the car and at 6:30-7:30 in the morn. Otherwise, i'm happy with 120kmph.

Regards....
Shan2nu
Old 9th March 2006, 02:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the time it did that the cabin was HOT and full of that burning rubber smell.
Are u sure its not the burnt-oil smell??
Old 11th March 2006, 22:02   #4
BHPian

Try Turbo Indica man it will blow the santros anytime.
Old 11th March 2006, 22:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous

nice one nitrous...

by the way, i tried to drive my friend's Indica 1999 DLE... and it was like a truck!.. vibrating like hell... has only clocked 20k kms.. but felt like done 2 lac kms.. and it wasnt going above 70kmph!

i just hope that things have improved now.. i am planning to have a diesel car as my next one.. and indica turbo will be in that list..
Old 11th March 2006, 23:43   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
It was 45+ degree Celsius outside.... sitting without A/c with windows rolled up. So i guess you can imagine the temp inside the car rising to 50-55+....
Any more and we could have smelt our skin burning.

And about not able to get the santro... that is just b'coz he was driving all over the road.... 100% left overtakings.

Otherwise an indica is very capable of cruising at much better speeds than a santro or a wagonR!. (although initially it feels heavier)
Old 12th March 2006, 00:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice experience you have SLK.

Indica can easily go on till 140kmph and on a slope you can hit 160kmph too. The ACI Longterm Indica touched 160 on the expressway thanks to the slope
Old 12th March 2006, 18:42   #8
BHPian

hey guyz i also drive a indica v2 2005 model DLG.....
and it easily hits 150 on the expressway...
Old 12th March 2006, 21:28   #9
BHPian

Guys Turbo Indica rally rocks.
Old 12th March 2006, 21:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
by the way, i tried to drive my friend's Indica 1999 DLE... and it was like a truck!.. vibrating like hell... has only clocked 20k kms.. but felt like done 2 lac kms.. and it wasnt going above 70kmph!

i just hope that things have improved now.. i am planning to have a diesel car as my next one.. and indica turbo will be in that list..
They sure have improved a lott. Tata seems to follow Kaizen prinicple.
I'd definitely recommend a new Tata Indica turbo, and don't forget than extended warranty.
Old 12th March 2006, 22:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rOaD AsSaSin!!
hey guyz i also drive a indica v2 2005 model DLG.....
and it easily hits 150 on the expressway...
When did this happen????
Sometime back when i drove your car it was struggling to reach even 80kph....N dont tell me it did 150kph eaaasily .....
Old 13th March 2006, 12:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

Fuel pump is kaput, thats why top speed suffers. there may be other reasons also but most common is the pump. Overhaul costs around 6000rs. In post 2002 indica's with india quality fuel, the overhaul comes up around 70000kms. You may not go for it even at 100000kms but your top speed and performance will suffer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks