Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2004, 02:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys ,
This happened on last Sunday i.e 4th September..
I was back in Mumbai for the weekend and was driving at maybe 60kph on the eastern express highway on the middle lane.then suddenly this esteem came and dunno what happened to him ,he just started flashing his lights and was continuously honking inspite of the right lane being empty.
Initially I did not do anything ,but when he stated irritating me ,I just showed him the middle finger and shifted to 3rd and soon he was very far away from me as I was doing 140kph in the fourth gear.at one point between mulund and kanjur marg I was doing 160kph on my speedo ,but as the roads were not perfect ,I had to slow down.
This car seemed like a mpfi,but still he was driving it as if it was a carb one.then finally we did meet at the godrej signal ,where I purposely slowed down for him .after that, hehehe ,it was absolute blast.we both were doing 120+ as the road was almost empty being a Sunday,he tried everything to pass me ,but the poor chap just cud not do anything .he tried everything from trying to overtake me from the left,the right and he even tried to ram me from behind .now ,I felt that this maniac must be taught something on driving .so I slowed to abt 110kph ,and when he was almost near me I just touched my brake pedal with the left leg while my other was on the accelerator cable.seeing the brake light come for a second ,maybe he felt that I was braking .he simply slowed down and after that he simply became a dot on my mirrors.
After the 3M tragedy I really needed something like this.hehehhehehe I really enjoyed it and felt sorry for this esteem guy for having made an aas of himself.. he cud have easily out dragged me .
The best thing was when I went to the petrol pump to tank up,guess wat I had to fill 6litres for 69 kms which is abt 11kpl.,which is quite decent as most of my driving was above 3000rpm and gear shifts were above 4000rpm.

I never indulge in all this ,as many a times there are so many people who try to provoke you with their aggressive driving,but dunno wat happened this time.but I really enjoyed it..

Hehehhe,
Speedsatya.
Old 8th September 2004, 14:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]This happened on last Sunday i.e 4th September
satya , u mean the 5th ??

and btw wat time were u doing this ? coz i was there twice on the eastern xpress highway .

cheers

good job with the zen man,

cheers
Old 9th September 2004, 03:01   #3
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Just proved the point.... Drivers counts more than the engine.
something like "driver ka brain zyada ya engine ka cc" (but now-a-days I think some engine ka brain might also come into the picture)

Man.. I read all this... and feel you are so lucky that u can upshift at 4000+ rpm. *Its impossible for my car to do this, somehow, a few months after the service it starts its hell knocking again.... it totally cries to go over 3500-3800rpm....

The reason I am not interested in getting it repaired anymore, is... *

1) My car has some real problem and Maruti and its dealers are incapable (but will give it a try next year for the last time).... we have already thrown away one car because of Maruti's incapability to set it right... that too after spending about 20k (on M800??) Just for these small tuning and jerk problems.

2) *I drive normal there's no knocking at all. Fuel economy is.. kind of ok... 11-12 in centre of the city with a/c and... 14-15 on the outskirts.

And I do get involved in small runs with other bad drivers, mostly i get ahead without knocking, but if it knocks .. the rest of my day goes in a bad mood.

In delhi, only people with Indica, Qualis and Santro are found to be driving like mads on the road. (I am yet to figure out a reason for this).

Old 10th September 2004, 01:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey crazy,
this happened between 1-2pm.the esteem was a cream colored one.have seen him here in mulund .saw him again after that ,cud not help laughing at him.

satya
Old 10th September 2004, 01:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey slk,
which car do u have.
mine had the same problem,initially .wud knock at 80+kph in 5th gear.had to climb most flyovers in 3rd with AC on.
then adjusted the timing and did tappet setting .now its fine.
why dont u change ur maruti ser4vice station.
write to maruti at
contact@maruti.co.in.
it helps.

cya ,
satya
Old 10th September 2004, 01:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Either it was a Carb Esteem or he wasn't trying hard enough. C'mon, a MPFI Esteem is quick enought to challenge a Baleno in terms of acceleration.

We had a Carb Esteem before the Vtec and boy did i get my butt kicked by MPFI Zens.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 10th September 2004, 02:36   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ Sep. 10 2004,00:01)]Either it was a Carb Esteem or he wasn't trying hard enough. C'mon, a MPFI Esteem is quick enought to challenge a Baleno in terms of acceleration.
But thats exactly where the driver comes in.

Most people upshift way to early in an esteem due to its long gearing.
Most people who are not aware of the workings of the car upshift according to groundspeed and not enginespeed.

cya
R
Old 13th September 2004, 01:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ Sep. 10 2004,00:01)]Either it was a Carb Esteem or he wasn't trying hard enough. C'mon, a MPFI Esteem is quick enought to challenge a Baleno in terms of acceleration.
hehe guys,
quite possible that the esteem was carb one or maybe it was a badly maintained mpfi .
an mpfi esteem can easily have a zen anywhere.also i had 30psi in my tires instead of 26psi as i was planning to keep my car under covers for abt 2 weeks.so my handling was real bad.
but i have decided that henceforth i wud not involve in such bad driving.
as i did some very rash things which even i am shocked of.there were some very impossible gaps ,which i dunno how i cut across.in trying to out drag this esteem i had endangered not only my car but even others.140+kph on a road having 60-80kph limit was really bad.
sometimes we do get carried away ,but i think it all of shud avoid getting into all this atleast on public roads.
drive safe guys,
satya
Old 13th September 2004, 02:18   #9
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Very true Speedsatya... same is my case.... I do get involved in such things.... not on highways though.... just in city... doing.. some 90-100km/h. And somehow manage some impossible gaps.... then regret for the next 2 days ... what I did to the car... and.. the traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks