Team-BHP > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Should there be a Ban on Earphone/ Headphone usage by 2 wheeler drivers/ pedestrians?
Yes 63 72.41%
No 22 25.29%
Do not know 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 03:37   #1
BHPian

Should Earphone/ Headphone usage by 2 wheeler drivers and pedestrians be banned?

Should Earphone/ Headphone usage by 2 wheeler drivers and pedestrians to listen to music/ holding telephonic conversations be banned?

With the mobile phones being bundled with earphones and headphones, more and more 2 wheeler drivers and pedestrians seem to be using it, sometimes oblivious to the traffic around them. Some of these ear phones and head phones are quite effective at blocking out ambient noise significantly. Also with their concentration on the music etc from the radio/ MP3 player or with the conversation they are holding, their attention on the road appears to be impaired. Should there be a regulation to ban this?

Last edited by Murugan : 18th June 2010 at 03:47. Reason: Changed title to question format
Murugan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2010, 06:59   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Why only 2 wheeler drivers? Why not 4-wheeler also?
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2010, 07:42   #3
BHPian

As far as pedestrians are concerned, I agree that a "head-phoned" person can increase the probability of an accident, but, somehow I feel its too much to ask - I mean, feels like a direct attack on one's freedom and basic rights!

Both 4 wheelers and 2 wheelers are equally paralyzed by the use of a headphone - much of one's concentration goes into finding the "attend" button, etc. So usage of even headphones should ideally be avoided. But if at all this is a rule, enforcement will be tough. Also, drivers will end up spending more attention into checking if police is around.

I guess avoiding mobile / headphone usage while driving rather should be an ethical decision.
Old 18th June 2010, 10:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how you can miss car drivers talking absent mindedly on cellphones, or changing lanes absent mindedly while talking in the car playing loud music.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2010, 10:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely, you can never miss a fat bellied guy driving @ 40 kmph in the fast lane and at the same time talking on the phone, mindless & unaware of the traffic building behind. Any amount of dipper signals not honking would make them put off their mobile phones. Lately I have seen some 2 wheeler guys having headphones and zig zagging their way through the traffic and that too on the EE highways endangering themselves and other vehicles.
I dont think so bringing a regulation would be sufficient coz this might be another source of additional income to the traffic guys. It should come from the drivers themselves.
Old 18th June 2010, 10:46   #6
BHPian

I find it frustrating when i have to pass guys who are riding two wheelers and talking on the mobile with their heads bent towards one side, oblivious to what's going on the road. I feel like pulling up alongside them and kicking their bike and then speeding away .
Also, pedestrians who are talking on the phone and crossing the road like zombies. This was one of the reasons why i was frustrated with that IDEA ad "Walk and Talk" .

Compared to these, listening to music on headphones seems not too harmful. I wonder why its so difficult for people to pull to the side of the road and stop their vehicles and then talk on their phones, instead of talking and driving like morons at the same time.
Old 18th June 2010, 10:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

It should be banned not only using in two wheelers but for four wheelers also.
Whoever use headphones/earphone definitely will lose the concentration easily.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:09   #8
BHPian

listening to a pre-planned playlist of songs doesn't affect your concentration, be it 2 or 4 wheeler.
It's only when you fiddle with the controls, change tracks, volume, etc you end up losing sight of whats in front of you.

Talking on the phone (through earphones or speaker) is defnitley dangerous, because the other person is completly anaware of the situation you are in and keeps telling interesting or shocking information and therby making you lose concentration.
There is a huge difference between talking to your co-passengers and somebody who is not present there physically.

Last edited by Daewood : 18th June 2010 at 11:14.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:28   #9

Rules are to be broken in Mother India

[quote=devansn;
I guess avoiding mobile / headphone usage while driving rather should be an ethical decision.[/quote]

Hello all
This is a timely discussion i would say as i was coming to office today morning and saw a girl on a two wheeler texting on her mobile all the while trying to ride and as you all might have guessed correctly she wasnt wearing helmet also.She did almost manage to bump into my car and luckily i could just slow down in time avoiding(another!!) nasty scratch as i was driving at 35kmph.All this happened on the busy Haddows road in Chennai during peak morning traffic.She was wearing a headset too.Dont know if there was music playin along.The worse part was she continued as if nothing has happened.I mean atleast she should consider her safety in the first place right?
As mentioned by devansn avoiding mobile usage altogether while driving seems to be the best solution IMHO.Dont we have enough rules for our safety in place already which 90% of our population conviniently ignores??(rest 10% are t-bhpians ofcourse who follow the rules).A rule/ban on this too will be overlooked at the slightest chance.The change has to come from within,isnt it?
Have a Happy and Safe motoring

Raj
Old 18th June 2010, 13:21   #10
BHPian

Yes it should be banned for 2 wheelers and also 4 wheelers.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

I ain't sure if you haven't even seen people tuking up their mobile phone inside helmet over the ear and drive while talking. Now matter how much you honk they'll not buzz from their lane :(
Old 18th June 2010, 14:19   #12
BHPian

The mobiles should be banned for the very purpose of using them unethically by 2/4 wheel drivers and pedestrains who are crossing the road/signal talking on mobile.

In Bangy, i have seen numerous instances of such immature people just talking without consent of where they are.

Yesterday, I was driving down the Richmond flyover in the night. Suddenly, this young girl talks on mobile and slowly crosses the road. Honked 3 times. No response. She was in her world. Stopped and moved away.

I donno when will people realize such simple manners of handling mobile calls.

And above all, particularly the autowallas/small ricks who block the road and least care about the people around.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

I keep driving four wheeler on weekend and ride two wheeler on weekdays, I guess I am one of the best persons to respond to your query.

The two wheeler with earphone is as equally distracted as a fourwheeler playing an audio.

In fact I would go an extra mile and say a four wheeler who has his audio in full volume is even more distracted than a two wheeler.
Quote:
Listening to a pre-planned playlist of songs doesn't affect your concentration, be it 2 or 4 wheeler.
It's only when you fiddle with the controls, change tracks, volume, etc you end up losing sight of whats in front of you.
+1 on point by @Daewood
Old 18th June 2010, 14:41   #14
BHPian

Whenever I see someone talking on his phone while driving or texting with one hand and riding the two wheeler with another (and this happens almost daily ) , I pull up side by side give them a hard stare and try to make them realise they are being stupid. But sadly, it hardly has an effect coz they don't even realise there are other people in this world other than the one they are talking to on the mobile :(.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
listening to a pre-planned playlist of songs doesn't affect your concentration, be it 2 or 4 wheeler.
That's been my observation as well. Passively listening to something (that is not talking back, or fiddling with the controls) is just the same as listening to the same thing without the headphones. As long as the volume control is set so that one can hear horns it is alright IMHO.

Active conversation even without headphones (think of all those instances where you saw this couple on/in a meandering bike/car, with the couple totally lost in each other oblivious to the conditions around them) is far more dangerous.

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed