Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 00:39   #1

HELP Regarding Roundabouts

HELP Regarding Roundabouts-map.jpg

1,2,3,4 are the roads i frequent in my car.

What i usually follow:

while going from 1 to 3 is keep right on 1 move to left of 3 via a,c.
while going from 1 to 2 is keep right hug the roundabout move to right of 2.

by saying right of 2 left of 3 etc, i mean right lane and left lane.

Am i being right ?? If not, please do correct me.

Thank You.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th July 2010 at 10:59. Reason: Do see the announcements for how to attach an image in-line within your post correctly.
Old 4th July 2010, 01:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul153 View Post
I do the same; so incase of any mistakes, I could learn here.

Quote:
while going from 1 to 2 is keep right hug the roundabout move to right of 2.
This is typically a U turn, correct me otherwise.
On U turns, from 1 to 2 in this case, I would make a right turn towards 2 but would simultaneously move to the left end of 2. This is to avoid disrupting the fast moving traffic as it will take few seconds for me to catch up with the speed of moving traffic. I start off from left (on 2) & then eventually catch up the speed & move to the right lane. Hope you got the point.
Old 4th July 2010, 01:39   #3

By the way, for any Kochities around, this roundabout is in Kochi; Mattanchery Halt/Warf Jn. (Near Old Mattanchery Bridge, Wellington Island.)
Old 4th July 2010, 02:38   #4

The reason why i feel am doing something wrong is...
While i move from 1 to 2, i.e U turn as i enter a and d, i come face to face with traffic from 4. If this is supposed to happen, who has the right to way ? me or him ?
I asked a guy from the nearby A2Z driving school, and he said what i did is right, but am not convinced the answer from the guy who puts emergency signal while going straight.
So, where else to ask other than t-bhp. Aye ?!

NB: Is there a way to edit the original post ?
Old 4th July 2010, 08:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A roundabout is where you have a circle. This looks more like a regular intersection.

from 1 to 3 - easier to move from right of 1 to right of 3. Avoid a lane change during a turn. Also since you were on the right of 1 before you started the turn, there could have been someone on your left (may be a bike ?) following the same path.

for the U turn - you just take as tight a turn as possible. So you start from the right of 1, and you may end up at the left of 2 (left, after taking the turn). Not much room to manouvre in this case.
Old 4th July 2010, 08:48   #6
BHPian

This should help.

http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.o...ound_about.swf

Murthy
Old 4th July 2010, 10:09   #7

Thanks alot gavinimurthy, i really liked that little flash thing.
but that is for a regular real roundabout; but in my case the traffic island is not in the center its misplaced, thanks to the very intelligent PWD guy...

My Question : While i move from 1 to 2, i.e U turn as i enter a and d, i come face to face with traffic from 4. If this is supposed to happen, who has the right to way ? me or him ?

Thanks a lot to all those who took time to reply.
Old 4th July 2010, 17:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks alot gavinimurthy, i really liked that little flash thing.
but that is for a regular real roundabout; but in my case the traffic island is not in the center its misplaced, thanks to the very intelligent PWD guy...

My Question : While i move from 1 to 2, i.e U turn as i enter a and d, i come face to face with traffic from 4. If this is supposed to happen, who has the right to way ? me or him ?

Thanks a lot to all those who took time to reply.
I am not sure what IMVR says, but I would assume that the person going straight will have right of way(i.e traffic in 4), unless the road you are on is a main road and 4 is kind of a side road. Since you are taking a U turn, and there are no signal lights(you have not mentioned any), the onus would be on you to time your maneuver in such a way as not to obstruct traffic in 4.

Anyway, when did right of way concept start applying in India?
Old 4th July 2010, 17:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you have the right of way in this case as you are in the middle of the intersection already. Those coming from 4 have the option of waiting to let you pass, whereas if you wait at the intersection, you are blocking traffic from two sides. I am just extending the rule applicable to roundabouts. At a roundabout, vehicle entering the roundabout has to give way to those who are already in the roundabout.
Old 4th July 2010, 19:27   #10
BHPian

You should observe the traffic on 4 , and take the u turn only when it is safe. Any one entering a main road has to be careful.

Murthy
Old 5th July 2010, 05:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
I am not sure what IMVR says, but I would assume that the person going straight will have right of way(i.e traffic in 4), unless the road you are on is a main road and 4 is kind of a side road. Since you are taking a U turn, and there are no signal lights(you have not mentioned any), the onus would be on you to time your maneuver in such a way as not to obstruct traffic in 4.

Anyway, when did right of way concept start applying in India?
Thanks Kuttapan,
3,4 and 1,2 are main roads, there are no signals or traffic warden.

and about implementing right of way, least i want to do is "Practice it yourself !!". I don't care if the other guy is wrong, i want myself to be right or at-least try to do things the right way right ?
Old 6th July 2010, 11:01   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I think the above (in bold) is incorrect.

You should be going to the right of 3, that way you are not cutting all the way across traffic coming from the bridge as well as getting in the way of traffic coming from 5 to 3.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th July 2010 at 11:02.
Old 6th July 2010, 12:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is not a regular roundabout but say a intersection. I think you should stop first at a then wait for the right opportunity and turn right through b-c and go ahead onto 3. That should be porper provided the oncoming traffic follows the rules i.e. wait for the approaching traffic from the drivers side to clear first.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks