Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 08:21   #1
BHPian

Petrol Station Etiquette

The last time I went to petrol station, the driver in front did not move ahead his car till his payment through credit card was not cleared. He got angry when fellow drivers were giving him signals to move his car forward. Even worse, the petrol pump attendant came back saying that his card was not working and they got into altercation stranding all fellow drivers. Not sure if this is the right thing to do. I would prefer to move my car ahead and make way for other fellow drivers.

Seeing this incident I thought of coming out with etiquette list for fellow drivers. Please feel free to add
1. Follow the queue
2. Be courteous to the petrol pump attendant
3. Keep the cash or credit card ready
4. Move the car ahead if your transaction for payment is still not complete making way for others
5. Don't talk on mobile
6. Be courteous to other fellow drivers
Old 4th July 2010, 08:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

You could have told that driver to move his car ahead and wait for the transaction to complete. Just honking and the yelling "Hoy..." sound doesn't help much in certain situations.
Old 4th July 2010, 08:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
He got angry when fellow drivers were giving him signals to move his car forward.
I cannot comment about all fuel vends or generalise but at the IOC vend that I patronise I have observed that the pump attendent immediately after fueling the vehicle requests the driver to pull up ahead for payment and billing ... except in early mornings when one may be the only customer at the vend.
Old 4th July 2010, 08:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont know,whether it is right or wrong,but i have a habit of getting out of the vehicle and getting fuel filled,and then have the Lids closed gently in front of my eyes.
I really dont like the way they slam the fuel filler lid.
and in case of any spillage,which happens in case of diesel usually,i make them clean it.
Old 4th July 2010, 16:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats strange, some fuel stations have multiple pumps and multiple attendants. So when one attendant is done delivering fuel to a car he jumps off the other side and starts catering to the other vehicle while the cashier comes and collects the card/cash from the first one. And the cycle continues. I agree that if the customer has a card swipe to be done then he should pull over from the queue, park somewhere close and walk back to the cabin and get his transcation done.

Most cashiers have the transaction machine with them in their hands to avoid delay.
But, yeah people should understand the value of others' time.
Old 4th July 2010, 17:55   #6
BHPian

I always get out to monitor the filling. As soon as its done, i move it out of the way and proceed to payment.

Yeah, people who won't move their vehicle till everything's done irritate me.

-- Torqy
Old 4th July 2010, 18:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Normally, there is a habit to check the tyre pressure after topping up the fuel. The same situation arises here too. Another contender here are the two wheelers who think they have the right to get it filled since car involves 5tyres against their 2s. In some cases, these people block the way of person who just wants to take fuel and go.
Old 4th July 2010, 19:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I dont know,whether it is right or wrong,but i have a habit of getting out of the vehicle and getting fuel filled,and then have the Lids closed gently in front of my eyes.
I really dont like the way they slam the fuel filler lid.
and in case of any spillage,which happens in case of diesel usually,i make them clean it.
That's the way Mahive.

Taking a little trouble of getting out of the car puts the attendants on guard too

Last edited by vigsom : 4th July 2010 at 19:04.
Old 4th July 2010, 19:29   #9
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I always stand next to the attendant when he fills fuel. I give him the card for payment only after he closes my petrol tank. And take my time to open the boot and put my system G back in and then get in the drivers seat. By then I get the bill to be signed.
A couple of times irate drivers honked signalling me to move. I turn back at them and smile and gesture them to just relax. 10 seconds won't kill them. Once a lady tried mouthing obscenities (yeah, see where pune is going to). She even gets off her car when my refuelling being still in progress and asked me whether it was necessary to fill 38 litres in my tank when she's in a hurry. I responded stating, there's more in the bunk for all so don't worry. People around us started laughing.

I know everyone's in a hurry. But I've also noticed that the bugger who honks for a 10 second delay by you takes more time when he's done refuelling. This happened too when a moron honked at me, without having courtesy to wait. I moved my car out and then when he was being catered too, I stood there with my stop watch in hand next to him. He got very irritated with that act of mine. But then before he pulled out I showed him the stop watch and pointed out that he was there for 30 odd seconds more than me!
Indians don't realise the value of other's times. They just think they are the bosses where ever they go! Let them learn some basic courtesies and learn to be patient.
I see similar if not worse behaviour in queues in retail outlets as well, especially Big Bazaar which I stopped going too 2 years back!
Old 4th July 2010, 20:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
This happened too when a moron honked at me, without having courtesy to wait. I moved my car out and then when he was being catered too, I stood there with my stop watch in hand next to him. He got very irritated with that act of mine. But then before he pulled out I showed him the stop watch and pointed out that he was there for 30 odd seconds more than me!
Excellent!

Quote:
I see similar if not worse behaviour in queues in retail outlets as well, especially Big Bazaar which I stopped going too 2 years back!
[/quote]

Oh they just have a bad billing management. Now SPAR is catching up too.
Old 4th July 2010, 20:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I always stand next to the attendant when he fills fuel. ...
Yours is the right approach. I too don't move till I am fully satisfied with vending & get a bill for the same, rush or no rush. I also made it a point not to go during morning rush and fill up the evening before. The people who honk at you are the same ones who honk at red lights & form 'horizontal' queues before a counter in hope of getting served early and ultimately are pushed/chided by someone & then go to the very end. If they don't learn to be patient by themselves, they must be made to learn.

Last edited by JustCause : 4th July 2010 at 20:12.
Old 4th July 2010, 23:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

I usually top up only during non-peak hours for several reasons...
1. Avoid queue
2. Take ample time to check fuel bill & the meter reading by standing next to fuel pump
3. All the more, when there's less crowd, short fuelling is also avoided.

Lately I've also been observing that when the crowd is less, the attendants are also in good mood to fill in the last drop of fuel in the fuel tank; probably relaxed too.
Old 4th July 2010, 23:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
asked me whether it was necessary to fill 38 litres in my tank when she's in a hurry. I responded stating, there's more in the bunk for all so don't worry.

I showed him the stop watch and pointed out that he was there for 30 odd seconds more than me!
You have a great presence of mind. Haajir Jawab.

Most of these type of people fill a bare minimum of fuel. May be their requirement is 50ltrs/month but they would go 10 times to fill 5 litres each time. It gives them a sense of saving money as they can not imagine 2500/- going out of hand one time.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Simhi (the OP). It is downright impolite, inconsiderate and rude to hold up others.

I get down while refuelling, add any additives I want to, watch the attendant set the nozzle, put the additive bottle back while the tank is being filled, hand over my card once the cap is on and I have mentally noted the amount of fuel and its cost. If there is a vehicle behind me, I move ahead and wait for the charge slip (if I need to check tyre pressure - I wait in that queue after telling the attendant about it).

While I wait for my charge slip, I reset my trip odo, MFD etc. It is not about the 5 seconds or 10 seconds, the amount of time is not important. It is the thought. It is a courtesy shown to fellow motorists, to move on and make way for others once your tank is full.

When I refuel at Shell bunks, I am amused to see the attendents tell the customers where to stop to refuel and then shoo them ahead to wait at a designated area for their change / charge-slip. This is something that everyone should do as a matter of routine without the attendants telling them.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Most of these type of people fill a bare minimum of fuel. May be their requirement is 50ltrs/month but they would go 10 times to fill 5 litres each time.
Reminds me of a pizza joke; please make only 4 slices of a regular pizza, I can't take six slices!!!

Quote:
I get down while refuelling, add any additives I want to, watch the attendant set the nozzle, put the additive bottle back while the tank is being filled, hand over my card once the cap is on and I have mentally noted the amount of fuel and its cost. If there is a vehicle behind me, I move ahead and wait for the charge slip
Yes, I do this all the time no matter any vehicle is behind me or not. Yes, I strongly agree that we've to respect other's time too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks