Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2010, 20:56   #31
BHPian

Sorry to hear all this. Actually these incidents happen all the time and will continue till the end of days. Our genetic makeup is to be blamed. We are a land of thieves , thugs, dacoits and rapists. Our work is crass and petty like the number plate theft scam reported elsewhere and now this. I assure you nothing with class will happen here, remember The Italian Job? not for us, we just don't have that sort of caliber! Hey Fastlove next time you pass that Pump why don't you toss him a Molotov Cocktail just to even up things. PM me if you don't know how to make one. Don't get mad just get even.
Old 31st July 2010, 21:36   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Why does the water seep into the petrol storage tank in the first place? Can it be avoided all together?
As mentioned by me earlier, the most common cause is loose caps and manhole covers, which allow rain water to seep in. Water settles in the bottom. The pump is supplied through a pipe which is floating ans draws the liquid from just below the surface. So in the event of the tank being almost empty you risk getting the water during the rains.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:19   #33
BHPian

I had a similar experience with my City about 2 years ago with a BPCL petrol pump in the monsoon. Just after filling petrol and going maybe 500 m from the pump, the car simply stalled. I made sure to go back to the petrol pump and inform the guys that this problem had occurred and after Honda confirmed water in the petrol, lodged a formal complaint in the book kept at the petrol pump. Once a complaint is there in the book, I believe the petrol pump owner is forced to take action by the oil companies since the register is supposed to be monitored by them. In my case, the fuel pump had to be replaced and the whole bill was settled by the owner of the said petrol pump.
Old 1st August 2010, 19:06   #34
BHPian

Update on our fight with HPCL!

Really appreciate all your comments and concerns!

The matter was investigated by HPCL Officers in Hubli and concluded that the fault was in the general maintenance of the pump by the dealer.

After many phone calls/emails from the HPCL dealer and HPCL officials we have agreed upon a compensation amount . The amount is not of significance here as it is about setting an example for penalising the dealer for his callous attitude. We have asked the dealer to pay 40% of the amount to charity (suggested by netarchie )

Last edited by FastLove : 1st August 2010 at 19:11.
Old 1st August 2010, 20:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
4.Apart from this, I also look for the amount of illumination the Fuel station is lighted with in late nights. If they arent doing good, they wouldn't normally turn on all the lights to attract the drivers. Bad ones will usually light up only the Cabin to hint that they will serve at that odd hour.
Pardon me , I could not understand this point. Are you saying well-lit bunks are good or bad?

Even filing up in towns proved detrimental to us last year. We were driviing to Shimoga from Hospet and I took the precaution of asking the receptionist at Hotel Malligi to suggest a good bunk. He suggested a HP bunk adjacent to the hotel.

We had about a quarter tank of fuel that we'd filled up at Hyderasbad and tanked up at that bunk at Hospet. But after driving 50 kms or so, we found the engine emitting a growling sound, which is rare for a petrol Sonata Embera.

I took over the wheel a little later and found even the pick-up dropping at times, and after a while a warning light started glowing suggesting bad fuel. Having no choice we continued to drive as Hyundai service did not respond to our calls, and it was a Sunday evening.

The car even stalled over a speed-breaker in a forest area between Chitradurga and Shimoga. To our providence, it started at the first go.

But surprisingly, the faults totally vanished the next morning when we drove to Jog falls, and there were no issues at all after that. That Hospet fuel lasted till Kumta on NH17 where we tanked up again. I guess lady luck was on our side. The car runs smoothly even now and there were no issues with the catalytic converter.

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st August 2010 at 20:19.
Old 1st August 2010, 22:34   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Pardon me , I could not understand this point. Are you saying well-lit bunks are good or bad?

Even filing up in towns proved detrimental to us last year. We were driviing to Shimoga from Hospet and I took the precaution of asking the receptionist at Hotel Malligi to suggest a good bunk. He suggested a HP bunk adjacent to the hotel.

We had about a quarter tank of fuel that we'd filled up at Hyderasbad and tanked up at that bunk at Hospet. But after driving 50 kms or so, we found the engine emitting a growling sound, which is rare for a petrol Sonata Embera.

I took over the wheel a little later and found even the pick-up dropping at times, and after a while a warning light started glowing suggesting bad fuel. Having no choice we continued to drive as Hyundai service did not respond to our calls, and it was a Sunday evening.

The car even stalled over a speed-breaker in a forest area between Chitradurga and Shimoga. To our providence, it started at the first go.

But surprisingly, the faults totally vanished the next morning when we drove to Jog falls, and there were no issues at all after that. That Hospet fuel lasted till Kumta on NH17 where we tanked up again. I guess lady luck was on our side. The car runs smoothly even now and there were no issues with the catalytic converter.
Well, this is a rule that 'I' follow & has worked in my favor so far. Having driven mostly in the nights on the NH4 between Bangalore and Pune, It wasnt a herculean task to settle on a bunk with such characteristics and feel happy that car too was feeling rev happy!!

After filling at 2 places in the night I have recommended these on the classic Mumbai-Bangalore roadtrip thread for anyone wanting to do a night drive. These 2 bunks are lit well, maintained clean with all facilities even at 2-30am in the morning.

It is unfortunate that you had to encounter what you have mentioned.
Old 2nd August 2010, 00:47   #37
BANNED

Indeed shocking story. Adulterated petrol/fuel is reality however this is extreme!.

I must say you really tackled situation pretty well. I will suggest report it to news channels/nation daily news etc.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:40   #38

I think Santro xing is sensitive to bad fuel. When reliance pumps were operating we used to always fill at their pump which was located at DAKC Koparkhairne. No problems. After the pump closed. We used to fill at vashi. No sooner had it been refulled, the car would jerk. During service it was found that 1 injector was blocked. This happened 3 times at diff pumps. First 2 times were in car warranty, so no payment, Now third time again one injector is choked. Kept the car as it is. Newer santro model have eliminated injector choking issues.
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:19   #39
BANNED

Adulterated Fuel is a way of life in Mera Bharat Mahan. Just see the number of threads on Reliable Pumps in ..... on TBHP! Where does all the Fair Price Kerosene go?
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:43   #40
BHPian

Ive had a similar problem with BPCL many years ago. Ever since that incident i am wary about were i fill petrol when i go on long journeys. I always make it a point to find the best bunks in the vicinity prior to my trip. Highway travel in India has come up a long way since the 90s but you still get these problems due to improper maintenance on the part of the dealer and we as consumers have to go through those difficult times when left in the lurch! Glad to hear that you gave a part of the compensation to charity.
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:51   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

So between Bangalore and Goa (NH4 route), where can I safely fill petrol in my Aveo? Davanagere or further down the road? Which pump and do I need to go into town?
Old 4th August 2010, 12:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
So between Bangalore and Goa (NH4 route), where can I safely fill petrol in my Aveo? Davanagere or further down the road? Which pump and do I need to go into town?
Check the Mumbai - BLR road trip query. Parag and quiet a few people have shared their views about various pumps available.

As for me, I generally fill in BP pump just after Ranibennur( going from BLR to Pune ). There is Konduskar in Kholapur, and around Shivpur gate there is another HP pump.

Nainar
Old 5th August 2010, 06:35   #43
BHPian

How i deal with it

Well this could have happened with anyone of us. These days all new outlets are being set up with certain specifications(related to area, pumping machines and quality of work) recommended by the fuel companies. The companies also keep a check on the same to maintain quality. So for a regular guy/gal all new petrol pumps look the same. My rule while traveling long distances is simple

1. tank tops only in COCO outlets. e.g. BP "Ghar"
2. i prefer to fill fuel every 100-200Kms (especially in unknown territory). it gives me a break from driving and keeps my risks of adulteration low.

other than that keep my fingers crossed
Old 6th August 2010, 07:48   #44
BHPian

thanks to adulterated diesel from a SHELL PETROL STATION, my lauras exhaust system got ruined.a tidy sum had to be paid.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charan23 View Post
thanks to adulterated diesel from a SHELL PETROL STATION, my lauras exhaust system got ruined.a tidy sum had to be paid.
Please share the fuel station details, so that others can avoid it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks