Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 12:12   #1
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Traffic dept cannot fine motorists without PUC papers!!

Request mods to move appropriately.

Finally some news that brings cheer.
Traffic dept cannot fine motorists without PUC papers - Pune - City - The Times of India

But for sake of mother earth, keep your PUC papers in order. Don't bother if you've left it at home. The law is with us (doesn't apply for law makers and enforcers though)
Old 4th August 2010, 13:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes, good news indeed. I keep my steeds in mint condition but don't feel like getting a certificate due to laziness. This is a good news for people like me.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

What I understand is that the PUC has been done away with but the vehicle emissions should be under control. If the cops detect emission levels above the permissible levels they can fine you.

BTW that a good news, if what I understood is correct.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good atleast we won't have to carry another piece of paper and keep worrying about it if we forget to tag it along.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
BTW that a good news, if what I understood is correct.
This gives me a different thought...
If the cops detect emission levels above the permissible levels with their faulty machines, we're left with no choice
Old 4th August 2010, 22:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^ As far as I have seen they use the same gun as the people who issue the PUC certificates. Now if they are faulty you need good luck or a copy of your PUC everytime with you.
Old 4th August 2010, 23:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Now if they are faulty you need good luck or a copy of your PUC everytime with you.
You'll only need good luck & nothing more; a copy of PUC will make us look like fools. They'll beat you down with their experience saying their machine is good one.
Old 5th August 2010, 00:56   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

This is where I have a query. With PUC being the prerogative of the RTO from enforcement perspective, should they be responsible for random checks as against traffic police.
I believe that only constabulary staff from RTO can do spot checks for vehicle pollution levels and not the police. And traffic police wear white shirts where as RTO constabulary staff wear khakis. So I believe we have the right to refuse a PUC check at random, even if we don't carry a PUC with us if the authority who stops us is a traffic constable.
And even if we have valid PUC, an RTO constabulary staff has rights to check PUC and take us to task/ ride.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
This is where I have a query. With PUC being the prerogative of the RTO from enforcement perspective, should they be responsible for random checks as against traffic police.
I believe that only constabulary staff from RTO can do spot checks for vehicle pollution levels and not the police. And traffic police wear white shirts where as RTO constabulary staff wear khakis. So I believe we have the right to refuse a PUC check at random, even if we don't carry a PUC with us if the authority who stops us is a traffic constable.
And even if we have valid PUC, an RTO constabulary staff has rights to check PUC and take us to task/ ride.
Agreed that PUC cannot be a stopper but I fail to understand how can a small piece of documents be a source of so much hassle? Surely it can be kept with vehicle documents which any way you would be carrying in your vehicle.
If an excuse of keeping the PUC at home is allowable, who would bother to go and get the PUC done? And then we talk of cutting down the emmissions. If the traffic dept is excluded from fining the motorist, then a competent authority should be enforced to do the task. Till day we see so many vehicles (old and some still older) emitting thick black smoke harming the motorists. They can go scot free everytime citing the reason of PUC at home.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:33   #10
BHPian

I don't know how much impact it has on the grounds. When a khaki wardi stops you, there is little you have in your hands to negotiate with. At least in NCR the breed is so high headed they it is almost impossible to reason with them.

Coming to PUC, Gurgaon has made a mockery of it. Last 2 PUC's that I got done for my Maruti, the guy was not even checking the pullition level. All he wanted was a copy of RC and a picture of RN plate. The first time it happened, I insisted that he do a proper check and then only issue me a certificate. Which he did, but about 10 people including this guy had a lot of fun seeing a stupid in me. I changed the outlet the other time and this guy was a step ahead. I hear it from other collegues that it is rampant in Gurgaon.

Before shifting to Gurgaon, I never encountered this in Delhi. However, heard that they alter the readings at a cost but do not really wash away with the process.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Now, not sure if its OT or people already know it or even if its correct. I dont know the acts which says so. This one I got in an email forward. I quote:-

"From now onwards, the Traffic Police cannot catch a motorist just to examine the driving license or vehicle documents.

They can catch you only if you have violated any traffic laws or if you are driving drunk. Remember that when caught for traffic violation, the fine you pay must be limited to the violation. In other words, the police can't bloat the bill saying that you have no insurance cover or emission certificate, etc.

Many motorists do not know this. According to the law, no policeman can slap a penalty on you just because you have no insurance or emission certificate.

If you have not purchased insurance cover for your vehicle, then the police officer must issue a notice, not impose penalty.

You must be given 15 days' time to purchase insurance cover and one week for obtaining the emission certificate.

Days later, meet the sub-inspector at his station with the insurance cover or emission certificate, so that he will annul the charge at once.

Police can fine you only if you fail to produce these documents within the stipulated period.

If your vehicle is brand new, then you need not bother about obtaining the emission certificate for one full year.

In response to a question as to why policemen fine people instantly without giving them time to obtain insurance cover or emission certificate, Additional Commissioner for Traffic Praveen Sood said, "Yes, it is a mistake. People must force policemen to issue notice or complain to me at least the following day.”

The best way to teach the police a lesson is by filing a written complaint with their higher officials and, a week later, using the Right to Information Act (RTI) to know the action taken against them. Remember, any question or application filed under RTI cannot be ignored and no official is bold enough to ignore the RTI Act."
Old 5th August 2010, 11:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Till day we see so many vehicles (old and some still older) emitting thick black smoke harming the motorists. They can go scot free everytime citing the reason of PUC at home.
And do you think they dont get the PUC certificate with so many centres opened all across who just wants money. Even if your vehicle emits more, they will give you certificate by changing the values.
Old 12th August 2010, 18:22   #13
t18
BHPian

I would like to know why the price of taking out a PUC is different in different locations. for eg: The PUC I buy near my home in Ulhasnagar costs Rs.50 for a 4 wheeler and when i asked on eastern express highway it was quoted at Rs.100.
Old 15th August 2010, 10:52   #14
BHPian

This rule would be nice if it actually served it's purpose.
PUC certificate is just another means for the police to fine. I got fined the other day because my PUC was 2 days past its expiry. Also from what i understood, the cops only look at the expiry date part of the PUC certificate.
Old 15th August 2010, 14:28   #15
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@gov626:
Not sure about rules in Karnataka / Kerala where you'd have got fined by cops. First thing is you should have your PUC in order. You don't need to carry it doesn't mean that you don't need to have it. And PUC needs to be done every 6 months to ensure that the vehicle is not polluting beyond prescribed limits. But the 6 months is just a norm. As a responsible driver, one needs to keep an eye on exhaust and mileage etc and ensure that slight deviation means your vehicle can be polluting more than prescribed limits. So if you see too much black smoke, heavy drop in mileage, it's good to get PUC done even though the 6 months is not over.
The rule just ensures that Police don't harass public by asking for papers like these.
It will be good if you stick the PUC in your car itself!
So it's a mistake on your part to not renew your PUC on time. No point in blaming police for that.

As a practice, I don't wait for last day to renew my PUC. I do it one week before. Because, the reading measured gives me an indication of whether the car needs a service or not based on how much it's polluting. And it's always safe to get that done earlier. If I see the readings going north, I go and do a service and then take another shot at PUC. They charge 80 - 90 bucks near my place. But that's what I spend in 6 months to ensure I'm not polluting more than prescribed limits, where as I spend 20K in the same period as fuel bill for my commute to office.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks