Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 10:24   #76
BHPian

But generally how are the people coping up? Is the place geared up to have more visitors? We are planning to be there in second week of Sept, keeping our fingers crossed. Not worried too much about risks or road conditions as I know they will become alright in a couple of weeks, but would not like to be in place where we are not wanted, when people are grieving and the state machinery is busy in relief and rescue.

Nainar
Old 13th August 2010, 11:22   #77
Team-BHP Support

The hotel owners I spoke to were hoping that some tourism will start in september, otherwise it will be difficult for them to make ends meet for the winters.
Many hotels in Upper leh were not affected at all.
If you do go, please contact ladakhi Buddhist association, or others involved in rescue there, and take few thousands worth of medicines.
From what I could make out over the patchy phone link is that, food thingy is mostly sorted out as many farms are intact, and crop damage is much less than earlier feared, as the cloud burst was localized.
Fresh water availability will also pick up soon. The problem is medicines, as the relief machinery is mostly focused on food and water.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:30   #78
BHPian

I shall most definitely go to ladakh either this September or next summer to put in my two bits of contribution into the tourism industry there. I hope a lot of other chaps do the same. Cheers
Old 13th August 2010, 12:56   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
But generally how are the people coping up? Is the place geared up to have more visitors? We are planning to be there in second week of Sept, keeping our fingers crossed. Not worried too much about risks or road conditions as I know they will become alright in a couple of weeks, but would not like to be in place where we are not wanted, when people are grieving and the state machinery is busy in relief and rescue.

Nainar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The hotel owners I spoke to were hoping that some tourism will start in september, otherwise it will be difficult for them to make ends meet for the winters.
Many hotels in Upper leh were not affected at all.
If you do go, please contact ladakhi Buddhist association, or others involved in rescue there, and take few thousands worth of medicines.
From what I could make out over the patchy phone link is that, food thingy is mostly sorted out as many farms are intact, and crop damage is much less than earlier feared, as the cloud burst was localized.
Fresh water availability will also pick up soon. The problem is medicines, as the relief machinery is mostly focused on food and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
I shall most definitely go to ladakh either this September or next summer to put in my two bits of contribution into the tourism industry there. I hope a lot of other chaps do the same. Cheers
Well said TSK and noidea!!

I Think the Leh people have got enough of sympathies from everyone and now what they want is too have some source of income and that only will help them to get back on their feet. So my humble request to all those who had planned is to please continue with their plans if you feel comfortable doing so.

Apart from medicines I would suggest you take a few 100 eclairs with you and keep distributing them amongst the kids. Spreading happiness is the best healing touch you could provide.
Old 13th August 2010, 23:32   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

On NDTV news: Srinagar-Leh road has opened.

Most Viewed