Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 11:47   #1
BHPian

Bike crashes into my FR tyre - need help

Hi,
On my usual drive to office, today morning I had to take a right to join a 3 laned carriageway (OMR) at Thoraipakkam. My usual practice is to look right after making sure I have given vehicles ample time and signalled them of my intention to turn right crossed across the oncomming cariageway and once done signal my intention for the other side to merge.

Everybody else stopped or slowed down to let me into the oncomming except a HH Spendor who tried to stop but could not as he was
1. too fast (typical of Chennai 2 wheeler traffic at morning rush hour)
2. noticed my signal late (this is what he told me)
3. had very bad tyres (too old; no grip)
4. had a badly maintained bike(brakes) and
5. was not skilled at not correcting himself.

I noticed him skiddling a long way and stopped my car so that he could weave around my front. But he inturn continued with the skid and crashed straight into my car's Front Right tyre and fell down. After making sure he was fine, I pulled into the median gap before merging into the downlanee and inspected for any damage. I could not find any damage visible.

Would request advice on whether I should check for anything other getting my wheel's realigned. I have a long drive planned and I need to make sure I am not stranded due my carelessness now. help!

Last edited by DWind : 17th August 2010 at 11:52. Reason: corrections
Old 17th August 2010, 12:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

I hope you've parked the car in a dry spot now at office premises. When taking the car out in the evening, check for any oil marks or wet marks. Actually try to check frequently during the day. Also idle the engine during lunch break & check for any oil or wet marks in the floor. Check the distance between the tires & bumper & tires & fenner (points A & B) are same.
Bike crashes into my FR tyre - need help-p1.jpg

Also get your brakes checked though there wouldn't be any issues.

Last edited by aargee : 17th August 2010 at 12:26.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:28   #3
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Get the wheel alignment done. Don't think you need to do anything untill you hear any noise.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

good to hear that there was no issue with the biker and he was safe as well. seen, where people start fighting on the road.

Damages to the car can be taken care of. Check for balancing of the tyre and if required get the camber checked and alignment done.
Old 17th August 2010, 16:44   #5
BHPian

Thanks Aargee, MX6 and tanwaramit. Will check the wheel alignments including camber. Was more concerned of busted bearnings or suspension issues. Hope nothing major happens.
Old 17th August 2010, 16:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Lucky to get away with no damage. Nothing visible at least, right ?

Anyways regarding the damage, did you notice any abnormality while driving. Any noise or did you feel the car is not moving left or right on a straight road ?

Btw which car ?
Old 19th August 2010, 11:05   #7
BHPian

Sorry was away yesterday and could not reply

I was driving my Verna. I could not find any abnormality. As advised, took it to a wheel alignment shop in Adayar (MG Road). For good measure, also did wheel balancing for tyres as I had a puncture once and used the tubeless punture strips which was creating a "khatt-Khatt" sound. He repaired it properly. Read the readings (before and after) the camber, Toe-in angle all appear to be normal with no major changes. Regarding the steering pulling on one side, it always used to pull either side (It is a Verna you see ) and has the same characteristic now as well.No leaks!

I can only thank the 2 wheeler now. Atleast, he tried to stop his bike by dashing the Front Right Wheel which was projecting out. Checked for side-wall damage as well (I have Michelin XM1+ and I believe they have poor sidewalls) and found no issues. Fingers crossed!!
Old 20th August 2010, 16:39   #8
BHPian

I'd suggest that you get the right front suspension & tie-rod checked. There are some components, don't know their names, that can get damaged if there's an impact on the tire, the way yours had to undergo.
Old 20th August 2010, 17:29   #9
BHPian

@DWind : I faced the exact scenario in my swift in December last year. A Biker driving splendor crashed into the Front Right Tyre and fell down. He was very fast and hit it badly. Initially I was worried but to resolve all doubts I got the wheel alignment done from MSS and all is fine till now.
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I'd suggest that you get the right front suspension & tie-rod checked. There are some components, don't know their names, that can get damaged if there's an impact on the tire, the way yours had to undergo.
It's a car, not an Auto. Please stop over-reacting, wheel alignment was required ONLY which is done already.

A bike hit the tyre, not a Bulldozer so chillax guys..
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
It's a car, not an Auto. Please stop over-reacting, wheel alignment was required ONLY which is done already.

A bike hit the tyre, not a Bulldozer so chillax guys..
Being cautious is not over reacting in IMHO. Keeping in context, I'd given the suggestion from my personal experience. My front tyre once grazed a cement slab from the side (with noticeable impact) and the car did suffer some suspension damage. I had to get two parts changed. Therefore, I believe that if a bike does hit the tire at high speed, you may have suspension damage. And if you're planning to go for a long highway drive, there's no harm in spending 10 extra minutes to get the suspension checked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks