Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2010, 07:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Road cutting-some clarifications needed

This morning I was pleasantly surprised to see that a foot wide trench cut across the width of the beautiful 80 feet peripheral road (near Sony World signal, Koramangala) had been nicely filled back using concrete / cement, and to top it all, plastered so nicely and flush with the road, that my car cruised over it without realising anything amiss. All this within a couple of days of the trench appearing.

The trench was leading to a building being constructed, obviously indicating that the restoring and filling work might have been done by the building owner / contractor himself. If so, may their tribe increase.

Now my doubt. I heard that all building contractors pay "road cutting charges" while building houses. But whose job is it to restore the road ? If it is that of the government, then "road cutting charges" is a misnomer. It should be called "road repair charges" to clearly put the obligation on the government. Also, I wonder how this is in cities other than Bangalore / abroad.

Opinions on this from fellow Bhpians are welcome
Old 29th August 2010, 15:47   #2

if it's really the contractor that did the job, that's pretty good. in china, lots of congtractors are greedy, reluctant to repair unless forced by the government.
Old 29th August 2010, 17:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Charles, nice to hear a perspective from China ! So not much difference there in China too, I guess

My brother in Sydney told me that the government there does these fixes within a matter of hours ! Wish it were the same here in Asia.
Old 29th August 2010, 20:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi Charles, nice to hear a perspective from China ! So not much difference there in China too, I guess

My brother in Sydney told me that the government there does these fixes within a matter of hours ! Wish it were the same here in Asia.
hi,mooza.i can't agree with you more.
Old 29th August 2010, 21:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
...The trench was leading to a building being constructed, obviously indicating that the restoring and filling work might have been done by the building owner / contractor himself. If so, may their tribe increase...
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesxie View Post
if it's really the contractor that did the job, that's pretty good. in china, lots of congtractors are greedy, reluctant to repair unless forced by the government.
Charles,

What Mooza noticed was an exception over here. Most of the time we have every government body, from the water board, sewage or telecom digging into a good road within days of it being laid properly. All this, after, say, donkeys years of the road being in ruins! This is one place the various governments are perfectly in sync. The amount of frustration when you see these things happen (and you watch helplessly) is very high!
Old 29th August 2010, 23:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Charles,

What Mooza noticed was an exception over here. Most of the time we have every government body, from the water board, sewage or telecom digging into a good road within days of it being laid properly. All this, after, say, donkeys years of the road being in ruins! This is one place the various governments are perfectly in sync. The amount of frustration when you see these things happen (and you watch helplessly) is very high!

Perfect example is New Bel Road. It was such a beautiful road a year ago. Riding on that road is a nightmare today.
Old 29th August 2010, 23:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess there is a lot of expertise in filling these trenches. It may look good when the job is new, but, especially after expansion and contraction in the heat, will it stay that way? If the edges separate, and water gets in, then, especially with monsoon rain, it can go bad very quickly.

Our road is just a small residential street with a concrete surface. It has been cut into twice on our behalf. Once by Airtel, for a new phone/broadband connection, and once by the EB when our 3-phase supply cable had to be replaced.

The Airtel cut was very narrow. The EB one was more of a trench. When it was finished, we had them make a small hump over it, so we got our own speed hump as well!

Although our street is small, it sees the occasional truck or tanker, and so far both of the "cuts" are holding up well.

The guy the EB used, not only for the road, but also into our premises, was the best "mason" I have come accross. His work was very thorough and neat. He was very old ...and lived in a shop doorway on the ECR!
Old 1st September 2010, 17:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I guess there is a lot of expertise in filling these trenches. It may look good when the job is new, but, especially after expansion and contraction in the heat, will it stay that way? If the edges separate, and water gets in, then, especially with monsoon rain, it can go bad very quickly.
Rightly said Thad, its years of compacted soil vs newly filled loose soil, its bound to sink in with time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks