Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 23:59   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car

A few hours back, I'd discovered that my car had been in an accident.

Generally at about 10:00 pm, I walk down the road and get into my car, drive it towards my house and park it inside. Today, while I was walking towards my car, I'd noticed something weird. The car didn't seem to have been parked straight. It was funny because I always align the left side of my car to the pavement perfectly and I generally leave about 6"-8" between the tyre-wall and the curb.

As I got closer to it, and I just broke down. I couldn't believe it. The drivers' door had been hit very badly, and as I walked around I discovered even more damage. The right-rear fender had been scratched and the rear bumper had been knocked out of its place!

The impact of the accident was so bad that my car's position had completely shifted. The rear tyre was in contact with the pavement!

Insurance should cover it, but I cannot tell you how angry and upset I am about this. I would like to catch the nitwit who's responsible for this and give him a real hiding.

Imagine, he has swerved to the other side of the road and hit my car that was parked on the other side! I wonder what he was trying to do!

In the illustration, the grey box is my car and the red part at the bottom is my house. The green area is a park. This area is very residential.
Attached Thumbnails
Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-accident.jpg  

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-18082010056.jpg  

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-18082010057.jpg  

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-18082010058.jpg  

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-18082010059.jpg  

Old 19th August 2010, 00:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car

Oh lord!!! Look at the damage.
Seems that owning and loving you car is the biggest punishment a man can inflict on himself in India.

Are there any watchmen around there?
Try asking people around that area if they heard anything. The impact is big and must have made quite a bit of sound. Would not go unheard.
Old 19th August 2010, 00:23   #3
BHPian

Well Suhaas, Really feel for you, I can imagine what you are going through, it is really extremely painful to see your dreams in such state and that too without any fault of yours,

download2live is correct, the impact is huge and as you mention the park was adjacent, there must have been few people who would have see anything,

Alternatively, the culprits car would also have taken a hit & if he is from the same locality, you might be able to hunt him down.
Old 19th August 2010, 01:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Oh crap. So sorry to hear about this. It really is frustrating when you know you couldn't do anything to stop it. Im sure it will be back soon to as good as new.
Old 19th August 2010, 02:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Oouch... That must have hurt! Sorry to hear that, Suhaas. The car looks very much damaged.

Take the cover of insurance, although it is sad the see the car in such state.

Edit: Just saw the Chandigarh Hit and Run story. I simply can't digest what the hell is going on in India. Almost every now and then, I come across such stories of rich brats. Under age driving + Alcohol = Disaster. Feeling really sorry for the youngsters that have lost lives without committing any mistake. RIP.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 19th August 2010 at 02:45.
Old 19th August 2010, 07:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Generally at about 10:00 pm, I walk down the road and get into my car, drive............................................. ...................
In the illustration, the grey box is my car and the red part at the bottom is my house. The green area is a park. This area is very residential.

OH man, thats really nasty!!
is this a gated colony where you park it?
may be possible, that at night, the other vehicle just might be from the same colony.

but, geez, thats quite a beating the poor car's been given.
Old 19th August 2010, 08:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

@suha. Sad to see this. Seems like a bad hit. Wondering how much fast he would have come in that place? That too in opp direction?
Old 19th August 2010, 09:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Generally at about 10:00 pm, I walk down the road and get into my car, drive it towards my house and park it inside.
It really hurts to see your car in that state, but I have a different perspective here.

Why wouldnt you park your car 'inside' all the time (assuming you have dedicated parking place) ? Why only at night ?

From your description it seems you had parked your car in the road side. Altho it is a residential area, from the pictures it also appears that the area/street is not WELL LIT either.

May be possible that someone was driving thru the curve at good speed, did not notice your car parked on the road due to less light, untill it was too late .. and banged in ?
Old 19th August 2010, 10:14   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post

Are there any watchmen around there?
Try asking people around that area if they heard anything. The impact is big and must have made quite a bit of sound. Would not go unheard.
Unfortunately, there were no watchmen around! We did hear a loud crash that sounded like metal and at that instant, my dad stepped out to see if our car was okay. He stood at the end of the road and noticed that the ORVM was still open and the car seemed fine so her walked back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Well Suhaas, Really feel for you, I can imagine what you are going through, it is really extremely painful to see your dreams in such state and that too without any fault of yours,

download2live is correct, the impact is huge and as you mention the park was adjacent, there must have been few people who would have see anything,

Alternatively, the culprits car would also have taken a hit & if he is from the same locality, you might be able to hunt him down.
The park was closed, Shantanu. There weren't any witnesses to this! I'm guessing he's from the same locality, I'll keep my eyes peeled for cars with damage. And I'm going to visit the local work-shop that's 2 minutes from my house, just to see if the idiot is getting his car repaired there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Oh crap. So sorry to hear about this. It really is frustrating when you know you couldn't do anything to stop it. Im sure it will be back soon to as good as new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Oouch... That must have hurt! Sorry to hear that, Suhaas. The car looks very much damaged.

Take the cover of insurance, although it is sad the see the car in such state.
Insurance should cover it, but it hurts to know that I couldn't catch the twit and give him a piece of my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
OH man, thats really nasty!!
is this a gated colony where you park it?
may be possible, that at night, the other vehicle just might be from the same colony.

but, geez, thats quite a beating the poor car's been given.
No mayankk, it isn't a gated colony. It would've been so much easier if it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
@suha. Sad to see this. Seems like a bad hit. Wondering how much fast he would have come in that place? That too in opp direction?
My point exactly. My car was parked on the left side of the road i.e. the direction of traffic from the other side. This guy should've been on his side of the road. How the hell did he manage to hit my car, given that the road is adequately wide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
It really hurts to see your car in that state, but I have a different perspective here.

Why wouldnt you park your car 'inside' all the time (assuming you have dedicated parking place) ? Why only at night ?

From your description it seems you had parked your car in the road side. Altho it is a residential area, from the pictures it also appears that the area/street is not WELL LIT either.

May be possible that someone was driving thru the curve at good speed, did not notice your car parked on the road due to less light, untill it was too late .. and banged in ?
We don't have the provision to park our 3rd car since our Jazz and Civic take up two spots. Our Santro is parked inside the garage but it takes some careful maneuvering to get it in every time. We would have parked it in front of our house, but a couple of months back, the pavements outside our house had been raised considerably and none of the residents could park on our street, so we had to resort to parking our car there.

Generally, all the cars that belong to the people on this street are parked here. But they are moved once it's 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm or so.

You're right! The street isn't very well lit, but it isn't pitch dark and one can easily notice parked cars on the street even after sunset.
Old 19th August 2010, 10:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Oh god!!! Thats big damage Suhaas. . Very angry to see the car in that state. Hope you can find out who did the damage. Probably one of the few morons who keep racing there near the BDA complex with their loud FFEs.

Me and my bro park the car on the pavement for this sole reason. Also too many learning school cars around there and the parked cars waiting to be scratched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Here are the updates on hit and run case of the accord car.
So no trace of alcohol found. LOL!! There goes the case. So very predictable, the girls are already out and soon the case will be dismissed. Poor victims, I really feel for them. :-(

Last edited by KRRaj : 19th August 2010 at 10:56.
Old 19th August 2010, 10:55   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....................to know that I couldn't catch the twit and give him a piece of my mind.

No mayankk, it isn't a gated colony. It would've been so much easier if it was!

oh well, yeah, would have been much easier.
Reason i asked was something very similar happened to my brother's santro 7-8 years back,we looked around, and saw this other santro parked just 4 blocks from my place.
We got fully comp'ed with no insurance claims, as the guy who smashed it into my brother's car was so sloshed, he couldnt even stand straight 6 hours(the amount of time it took us to notice the accident and look for the guy) after the crash!!!!!!
Old 19th August 2010, 15:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This really sucks Suhaas... looks like a lot of damage.

I flip out if even a small nick gets on cars, can only imagine what your feeling now.

Hope you find the idiot who did this!
Old 19th August 2010, 21:31   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Oh god!!! Thats big damage Suhaas. . Very angry to see the car in that state. Hope you can find out who did the damage. Probably one of the few morons who keep racing there near the BDA complex with their loud FFEs.

Me and my bro park the car on the pavement for this sole reason. Also too many learning school cars around there and the parked cars waiting to be scratched.
Exactly! The by-lanes of Indiranagar are hostile and buzzing with activity all the time! Either its those high-on-hormones teenagers driving around at 150 km/h or RX bourne idiots with expansion chambers or the learning-school-cars love getting personal with your your car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
oh well, yeah, would have been much easier.
Reason i asked was something very similar happened to my brother's santro 7-8 years back,we looked around, and saw this other santro parked just 4 blocks from my place.
We got fully comp'ed with no insurance claims, as the guy who smashed it into my brother's car was so sloshed, he couldnt even stand straight 6 hours(the amount of time it took us to notice the accident and look for the guy) after the crash!!!!!!
Oh that's pretty bad! And that brings me to one question. I haven't had experience with insurance and repair before, so I'm not sure how long it would take for me to get my car back. The procedure is irritating! Do you have an idea as to when I might expect to receive my car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
This really sucks Suhaas... looks like a lot of damage.

I flip out if even a small nick gets on cars, can only imagine what your feeling now.

Hope you find the idiot who did this!
Yeah! I really hope I find him! Oh how I'd flip! And more than the money, it's the time and the stress that he has given me for no fault of mine!
Old 19th August 2010, 23:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Oh that's pretty bad! And that brings me to one question. I haven't had experience with insurance and repair before, so I'm not sure how long it would take for me to get my car back. The procedure is irritating! Do you have an idea as to when I might expect to receive my car?
this might guide you:
http://www.apnainsurance.com/car-ins.../articles.html

and this:
Accident claim for your car? Read this! : Rediff.com Business

baaki, i think tbhp has a lot on horror stories.

but honestly, i feel you'll have to sit on the agents head constantly, as well as have any conceivable document/data pertaining to the car/location/yourself at hand. they can use ANYTHING to try and deny the claim.
I read about the team-bhp sticker story(hilarious!!) here where they said that this is a racing team's car, and hence no claim!!

apart from the additional headache, i don't think anything worse will happen if everything is in order.

do let me know how it goes.
all the best!!
Old 29th August 2010, 12:11   #15
Team-BHP Support

Here are pictures of my car the day after the incident (19th, August). These pictures were taken at the workshop (Advaith Hyundai, Mission Road). The repair work included replacement of the rear bumper, tail-light and driver's side door, and tinkering/painting the rear passenger door and the rear quarter panel. The total cost of the damage was 29k and Tata AIG covered about 23k of the bill.

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-19082010060.jpg

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-19082010061.jpg

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-19082010062.jpg

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-19082010063.jpg

The sorry story continues though. When the car arrived on the 25th of August, we found some niggles that put us off. I will mention that in my next post!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks