Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2005, 00:05   #1
BHPian

Best/ Worst Roads you have ever driven?

Note from Mod : Please continue the discussion in this thread.

Hi,

I would like to start a new topic. I hope it is in the right forum and this topic has not been discussed. If YES, please excuse. If NO. be a sport and please do post some replies.

Please share your Best/ Worst roads that you have ever travelled. Maybe we could see some pics.

One thing is for sure, the max number of Worst roads entries would come from Bangalore !!! Coz, Bangalore roads even puts MARS to shame for that matter even the MOON.

Thnx - AS

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2010 at 14:29. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Old 28th December 2005, 04:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Worst Roads :
1. Bombay roads after monsoons.
2. Also, roads in this city by the name of Valsad in Gujarat. It's about a 3 hour drive from Bombay.

Best Roads:
1. The European highways. Many people talk about German Autobahns which are no doubt great roads but all the countries there have great highways. The Swiss highways are not only great roads to drive on but are extremely scenic too. It's easier to spot a zit on a girl's cheek then to spot a pothole on a European highway!
2. Most of the town/city roads in Europe. Even back roads there are butter smooth. Go to the smallest of town and the roads there will put any of the roads in any of the metro cities of India to shame.
3. Canadian highways are also among the best. Can't say the same for back roads here.

Sad that none of the Indian roads that I have driven on qualify in the best roads list. The Mumbai-Pune expressway was a great road to drive on when it was new. I remember seeing a lot of potholes on that high speed expressway last year! Still it's a very scenic road no doubt.

Last edited by amit : 28th December 2005 at 04:55.
Old 19th October 2009, 20:53   #3
BANNED

Well in Indian standard few best roads i drove so far
1. ECR
2. Bangalore-Chennai GQ
3. Coimbatore bypass stretch
Old 19th October 2009, 22:08   #4
BHPian

Every Road in Bangalore. Period. So many potholes.

Worst Roads
Just for name sake, a couple

1. Old Madras Road. This is a damn NH with huge amount of traffic 24x7 and its state is pathetic. I used to take this road on my way to work and it is highly dangerous. Some Potholes are so huge, it will take a minute to emerge out of.

2. The Roads leading to Talakkad and Somnathpur. It is a tourist destination and I really am not sure what the Govt does. There is no road, just stones. We went there a couple of months ago and the trip was far from enjoyable just due to these horrible roads.
Old 19th October 2009, 22:08   #5
BHPian

Best Roads:
  1. Nainital to Kaladungi. Scenic Beauty of hills, lake and lush green jungle.
  2. Mangalore to Goa: Stretch at Marwante Beach NH17, about half KM highway drive is mind blowing, you have sea on left and river (or backwater) on right. Also drive through Karwar.
  3. NH8 beyond Jaipur to Udaipur via Chittaurgarh
Worst Roads: Many to mention, its wastage of time.
Old 19th October 2009, 22:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Worst road that i ever driven on was during monsoon in Aug 2006. By mistake took the Ponda ghat from Belgaum.

That 25km drive still remains unforgettable. It took us 4.5 hours ( 6pm to 10:30pm) of continous driving to traverse it going over big boulders, deepest trenches and mountenous mounds, you name it, it had it.

For me that road was straight out of moon/mars
Old 20th October 2009, 01:30   #7
BHPian

1. chennai - trichy is great now. its has good straight stretches than chennai-b'lore.
2. krishnagiri - salem... good scenic road.

talking about abroad, auto bahns are simply superb. you can hardly see any curves even if there is one then it would so long that you wont realize it so easily.
Old 20th October 2009, 08:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think a similar thread exists.

For the record it must be the Etawah Gwalior Highway (it is a NH now under NHAI). The section between Gohad & mehgaon (about 30km) can only be called Tractorable. Jeepable is being too nice to it. Has been like that for two years.
Old 20th October 2009, 09:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

The worst road for me is the NH4 between Chitradurga and Haveri.

The best road i've driven on is the NH63 between Hubli and Ankola (not sure about its condition right now).

Shan2nu
Old 20th October 2009, 11:17   #10
BHPian

After driving from Bombay to Baroda and back, i would have to say the stretch between Baroda and Bharuch being excellent. I would rate it better than the expressway the reason being the roads are all tarmac which gives you a smoother ride compared to the concrete stretches on the Bombay Pune Expressway.

Slightly OT
As soon i crossed the Maharashtra Border into Gujarat, all i got were smooth roads (as The Yeti had put it up in his Nano Delhi trip, as smooth as a baby's bum). The roads were well marked, dedicated lanes for 'U' turns and 3 x 3 lanes at most stretches. Wish our Maharashtra goverment take a tip or two on how to pave and maintain roads.
Old 20th October 2009, 11:30   #11
BHPian

I was surprised to see roads in such a good state outside Bangalore. Yesterday had been to Savandurga, near Magadi. While coming back we took the Ramnagar route and the road from Magadi to Ramnagar is awesome. Fully tarred roads are clearly marked with white lines and the cool surrounding makes the drive on the pleasurable.

The Tirupathi-Bangalore road is also good. When driving in night the reflectors look as if they are illuminating the road. Although this road is good only until we reach Kolar.

Bangalore-Tumkur road is also good. Its a 4 lane express way having long straights and a dedicated cycle lane. I think this was the first "class" road that connected Bangalore.
Old 20th October 2009, 11:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit1329 View Post
One thing is for sure, the max number of Worst roads entries would come from Bangalore !!! Coz, Bangalore roads even puts MARS to shame for that matter even the MOON.
With No Offense, I will disagree. Some parts of Bangalore does have bad roads, but they are nothing compared to many other cities in India.

Best Roads I have driven:

NH4 via Belgaum-Nippani towards Maharashtra. MINDBLOWING.
BH Road (Bangalore-Honnavar State highway) from Tumkur towards Tiptur. Excellent.

Worst Roads
NH4 from Chitradurga to Harihar. PATHETIC
From Kabini to Thalessery, somewhere a length of around 40 KMS is so horrible, I cannot describe. This road passes through Nagarahole.

Last edited by ashwinsid : 20th October 2009 at 11:49.
Old 20th October 2009, 12:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Best Road I've driven:

Autobahn - Germany. (A9, A6, A7 etc)
A section of road near to Kalpetta, from Calicut direction - wow, A marked smooth & wide road winding up the hills!

Worst roads I've driven:

In terms of bad road quality:
Some potholed & completely dusty roads in Bangalore Suburbs like Kudlu, HSR, Bommanahalli etc. Even my car's weight increased few Kgs due to dust accumulation.

In terms of traffic:
Most of the city roads in Bangalore - It's not even driving. It's aiming your car in one general direction and rolling it.
NH47 bypass in Trivandrum - It's a pain to even enter this road, let alone overtaking in this. Must be made 4 lane.
All roads which are messed up by the Japan Drinking water Project in Trivandrum.
Old 20th October 2009, 13:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

The roads in Gujarat are probably the best in the country now. Atleast the best roads I have ever driven in India - is the road in Gujarat - right from the Mah-Guj border to the other end till we hit Rajasthan.

The worst roads have to be the roads in Mumbai city (suburbs).
Old 20th October 2009, 13:24   #15
Team-BHP Support

The stretch from Ooty to Thepakadu via Gudalur.

Makes you fall in love with your bike all over again.
Early morning mist, hanging down the trees, the fresh spring air.
The green trees, the black tar road.
Curving all the way.
Lean in and out of so many beautiful turns.

Quote:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
Its poetry on wheels.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks