Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:07   #1
BHPian

Runover?! Who cares??

Its been one of those days when I was left wondering as to why people have to be insensitive the others sufferings. Its this mentality of "I don't know you, so I dont care if you bleed to death" which is extremely disturbing to see. For some it seems getting back home quickly to catch up on the Champions League matches is more important than saving a person's life.

My father is out of station for a week, so today evening my mother told me that she wanted to visit her parents. Although a bit tired after attending classes, I agreed to go along cause I hadn't met them for some time. We were on our way at around 7. Obviously traffic was pretty heavy at the time. We changed autos at Ultadanga to get to Ahiritola. Everything was fine until then. But as we were going up Gouri-bari Bridge, I saw a rather young lady lying flat on the road facing upwards! She seemed to be breathing but she was probably convulcing too. I presume see was suffering from internal haemorrhage. I was stunned for a second. I have never been a witness to such an incident. Traffic in front of us simply steared clear of the woman as if she was a rock!!! People didn't even bother to stop, let alone getting dwon to help. I told my mother I was getting down to help her. But she seemed to fear involvement in police cases or something, I dont know. But she just didn't let me get down. I must say that probably I had some apprehensions too or else I would have got down. But something seemed to stop me. I felt bad.

As soon as the auto we were in passed her, a sense of guilty struck me real hard. I felt I had to do something. I immediately called up the police helpline, 100. Someone promptly responded to my call. I explained to the man what I had saw and gave him the exact location of were the accident had occured. He asked me if I had been able to take her to a hospital or not. I saying that I hadn't, he said he would send some policeman to take appropriate action. Within another 4-5 minutes I got a call on my cellphone asking me for details like whether I had seen the accident, whether I had the licence of the vehicle that hit her, whether there was anyone with her etc. I answered him patiently. He then assured me that he will be there to help the woman.

But what surprised me more was the attitude of others in the auto. A guy said in a sarcastic manner I was wasting my balance. Another guy said, she wont survive for long so there is no use tryying to help. The auto driver said that he dosen't want to get involved in a police case! These reactions stunned me. Would you not help someone just because you dont know him/her? How would these people feel if, god forbid, something similar happens to there loved ones and people dont come forward to help. Timely help will multiply a persons survival chances many folds. So why cant people take 10-15 minutes out of there lives to help peoplein such situations.

I agree that I acted equally selfishly, but this incident definitely left a scar on me. Fellow Bhp-ians, please do stop and help people in such situations. You never know when you might become a victim too. So please, even a simple call will help.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

I do not want to sound bad. But there are many threads where you can find details of incidents where Bhpians who stopped to help and the aftermath.

Mods can maybe move this post to a similar thread.

Do not forget to check this thread which will explain why at least in Bangalore people will not stop even if they feel someone was hit by their vehicle.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ost-466-a.html
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Should have stopped, Yes should have stopped and helped. Anyway, there is always a next time.

Don't worry about getting involved in police cases, police are very understanding in this matter. VERY understanding.

And at the end of the day, even if u do get involved in a police case because u helped someone and saved a life, A life is way more worth than getting involved with bureaucracies.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its not just about helping victims. There are police and courts to tackle as well. These are the major deterents for general public. There have been cases where people have been targetted by the police even when they tried to help.

However some of the comments are sick in your post. "Wasting your balance" "She will not survive". People still have to learn to value life in our country.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:56   #5
BHPian

@download2live-unlike in the above case. This woman WAS DEFINITELY NOT ACTING. In the other thread, the situation seems suspicious from the very beginning. As I have mentioned, the road was extremely crowded at that time, and it would have been very difficult for someone to try to mug someone. This was a genuine situation!!!!

@humyum-probably, if my mother wasn't there, I would have got down. Then again, I didn't. So, no use defending myself. Will make sure, next time if such a situation comes to my notice, I'll do the needful.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:21   #6
BHPian

This reminds me of an Incident that happened almost a year ago. I was returning back from work early in the morning. Two speeding cars (Racing each other) when they took a curve, Hit a cycle guy. and he had an head injury and was unconcious & bleeding.
I stopped by and was asking the people there to help me take him to a hospital, I needed someone to hold him in the back seat. It happened near a tea shop and there were about 10-15 people there.
None of them were willing to help me put him in the car! I explained the situation to a guy in another car that was passing by and luckily he had someone with him in the car, he offered to help and another guy from a passing motor bike came forward as well.
We took him to the hospital near by (It was hardly a minute from the accident spot and none of the onlookers had time to take this guy to the hospital). I met the treating doctor and gave him my phone number and the three of us left from there.
A couple of weeks later, I received a call from someone claiming to be the victim's uncle and he wanted to bring him home to thank me. and they actually did come home to thank me. The guy was actually working for a security agency and he was returning home from work when he got hit. The agency had even sent an appreciation letter addressed to me. I read the letter and gave it back to him saying, I'm glad to know he's well . The guys uncle told me that the guy had still not recovered completely from the accident. He did not speak much, However I was happy to know that he was alive.
mathew1105 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathew1105 View Post
However I was happy to know that he was alive.
Isn't that some feeling. I can tell you bro, even though it was an animal in my case, but, how it fills your heart.
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Its been one of those days when I was left wondering as to why people have to be insensitive I felt bad
But what surprised me more was the attitude of others
can you give me one good reason why YOU did not take the lady to the hospital if you felt so bad about it , my dear friend it is very easy to talk about others attitude you were no different ,you have wasted the time waiting for the cops to come and take them to the hospital reducing their chances of survival. i have had three different opportunities to help such people and feel privileged when they still remember me for saving their lives.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th September 2010 at 15:01. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:10   #9
BHPian

In my opinion taking an injured person to hospital might do more bad than good unless you are also a doctor or it is a remote place. In cities or busy highways the police should be called who can send professionals immediately to take care of it.

I had similar experience on Bangalore Mysore highway where a car over turned. not sure if anybody was hurt but there was a huge crowd. We immediately called the authorities who sent their people almost immediately and called us a number of times to get the exact location of accident.

I would say leaving to the authorities is the best you could do.

Off topic, we have been working with police for quite some time and I was surprised with the level of knowledge and the interest to make things better for the citizen at the higher level. Agreed there are problems but definitely things are moving for better.

Last edited by sumannandy : 23rd September 2010 at 08:11.
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

This happened around 5 years ago.

We were having dinner at home. Next, we heard a loud smash just outside our house. We went out (me and my dad).

We were joined by the neighbourhood watchman's wife to survey the damage (the house next door was under construction).

A scooterist was lying flat, face up, on the road, gasping for breath. The watchman's wife tried to call out to her husband, to help, but he was nowhere to be seen. Next, we heard a scream from the watchman's wife. She showed us another person lying face down in the bushes by the roadside. On turning his face up, she'd realised it was her husband, who has been badly hit by the scooterist, and now we had 2 victims.

We realised the scooterist was in better shape, he had stopped gasping, breathing almost normally, and was trying to get up, helped by us. He was completely drunk, going by the stench emanating.

The other chap was in bad shape, passed out, with a lump forming on his forehead. Me, my dad and the watchman's wife put him in our car and drove off, but the private hospital nearby refused to take him in, saying there were no doctors ! In hindsight, I now think maybe we should have called an ambulance.

It was 11pm now, and we rushed him to Nimhans hospital, where the admission formalities were done, a scan was taken, and edema (internal damage/bleeding) in the head was confirmed. The poor man expired within the next hour. Well, we had tried our level best.

Regarding the legal part, we had confirmed all along (to the hospital authorities, and the cops later) that he was our neighbouring watchman, and that was his wife (who was rather illiterate, and could barely communicate). My dad had to go to court just once, as a witness. That's about it. The case was pulling on against the scooterist, and we lost track of it, when the poor lady migrated back to her hometown. We had paid her 25k to help.

In the final analysis, it made it easy for us to help in that situation, with minimum legal issues, as the victim was known to us.

I am tempted to help all accident victims this way, maybe we could just tell the authorities that the victim is known to us ?

Scuderiamania, you did do a step better than the rest of them there, and there is always a next time !
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
In my opinion taking an injured person to hospital might do more bad than good unless you are also a doctor or it is a remote place.
Strongly agreed with the point here.
Once during a ER training we were being taught as how to carry victims of fire & the person who carried out training was saying something about carrying an accident victim too.

Point - We never know the current situation of the person lying down there; in the process of saving him, if we happen to break his semi broken neck & he dies on the spot. I had it for my life!!!

Point - Just call the ambulance or cops. If you still don't believe on their system, just wait at the spot & leave only when the ambulance or police arrives.

Quote:
I would say leaving to the authorities is the best you could do.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I am tempted to help all accident victims this way, maybe we could just tell the authorities that the victim is known to us ?
Very dangerous my friend; just think about this - all the while the victim keeps agreeing with you on things, but in the absence of justice & greed's smile some smart lawyer could intervene, side with the victim & make you look like joker in the court for all the help you were trying to do. I'm not saying it WILL happen, but, I'm saying that would become like a messing up your own life. So remain cautious; there're people designated in this country to do that job; lets look at our own job responsibily, and knowing where our responsibility ends.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:35   #12
BANNED

I firmly believe that the right path is to first try and save a life. Everything else comes afterwards.

Also, the police are co operative and understanding, at least in cities, in such matters and do not put the helping people into unnecessary trouble. I remember having taken 2 people around 4 years ago to a hospital in an auto when their bike was badly hit by a bus on Mysore Road near the BHEL circle. The SI who came to the hospital never spoke to me in harsh tones and all I had to do is pay one visit to the station to give my statement.
I was offered a cold drink as well.

I will always help injured people on the road.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Dev - Nothing meant to offend you, but just giving a little insight to remain cautious. Note that I'm not going to talk anything of legal hassles here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I firmly believe that the right path is to first try and save a life. Everything else comes afterwards.
Right; but think about this situation where you witness an accident & the person is in a pool of blood. With the intention of saving him/her, you lift them & during the process you break their neck (which is already damaged severely in the accident), you're running the risk of killing them isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I will always help injured people on the road.
Helping with minor injuries where the victim is alive, talking & breathing is fine & this is always welcome, which I'm sure most of us do here.

Also beware of mugging incidents too which is bound to increase in the forth coming years; people would risk their life in front of a car to get injured deliberately for a lumpsum. If they can't extort money from the owner, they'll try doing it from the passers-by who're trying to help.

PS - If you're a trained person, then hats off to you because you're doing your job well.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion taking an injured person to hospital might do more bad than good unless you are also a doctor or it is a remote place. In cities or busy highways the police should be called who can send professionals immediately to take care of it.
If the victim is not being able to move or stand up on his own or respond to others then there is a very strong possibility that injuries sustained could be serious than what you (as a would be helper) could judge.

But even if Police arrives there is no guarantee that they will arrange for an ambulance to shift the victim to the hospital.

Sometimes most damage is done, sometimes irreversible, when the victim is being transported the wrong way. That might save a life, but leave him disabled for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Strongly agreed with the point here.
Once during a ER training we were being taught as how to carry victims of fire & the person who carried out training was saying something about carrying an accident victim too.

Point - We never know the current situation of the person lying down there; in the process of saving him, if we happen to break his semi broken neck & he dies on the spot.
Or permanently disable them.

Anyone could become a victim, once you're down there is not much you can do except to groan, gasp, mumble, slip into unconsciousness and consciousness etc..

And those who make it should consider their lives as a re-birth and be thankful to god for giving them a second chance. Not everyone gets it.

If you get a chance to help someone, do it. Don't hesitate. First two hours is very critical for the victim, after that it might be too late.

Don't take the victim to any hospital, take the victim to a hospital which has emergency trauma care facility. Taking the victim to a hospital to a regular hospital casualty ward will not do any thing other than to loss precious time. I have first hand experience.

If its at Trivandrum take the victim to KIMS or Ananthapuri (only two that i know of which has emergency trauma care). Most Govt hospitals like MCH/General Hospital does not have the facilities or they do not respond fast (i was put on saline for around 1 hour) without doing anything.

I think it is a good idea to have a city-wise thread listing out the details of hospitals providing Emergency Road Accident and Trauma Care.

Last edited by Sankar : 23rd September 2010 at 11:20.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well just to present you with the flip-side of the story.
this happened few years ago with my boss.

He was driving to office, pretty mildly near the stretch of road near Shopper's stop and SGS mall.

Suddenly a scooter came and hit him from rear left.
My boss immediately stopped the vehicle and checked - that an old man in the scooter with a middle aged woman was there.

He took both of them to Jehangir hospital. The old man was unconcious.
He called me to the hospital to take care of certain stuff.

Reaching there I saw a funny scene. The middle aged lady = old man's maid was accusing my boss for causing the accident.

Whereas, the old man was profusely saying sorry for he had fallen unconcious while riding, and thus banged into my boss's car!

Imagine the situation if this woman was in her senses in that public infested road. And the wrath of public on my boss.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks