Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:42   #31
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Forget 4 wheeler guys who speak on speaker phone / blue tooth. I've seen bikers who speak on their mobile that's nestled between their raised shoulder and ear with the head slouching towards one side. Both their hands are firmly on the handle bar and they dangerously zip in and out of traffic this way. When I see their stunts, I wonder what kind of idiots are produced in India.
The laws are archaic. Should not talk on mobile means should not talk. Even if there's bluetooth or speaker phone, which is equivalent to speaking to a co-passenger, if they catch you speaking on a mobile, you are in trouble.
I've seen couples having heated discussion and the guy almost runs over a buffallo on the road. Those aren't lesser dangerous.
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I feel that bluetooth connectivity in a car is a useless feature, considering the existing traffic rules in India.

It would be interesting to know whether the Ford Figo / Fiat Punto / Tata Manza manuals come with a warning to not use the bluetooth feature in a moving car. Owners may kindly enlighten us.

Rohan
My Pioneer HU restricts all features of Bluetooth controls (scrolling thru recent calls, phone book, etc) unless the hand brake is pulled. It only allows to receive calls if the hand brake is not pulled.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:08   #33
BANNED

switching off the phone in the car is out of the question for me at least cos i need to use my phone to play music into the stereo through the aux.
Messaging for me while driving is a big no no and so are calls.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntydey View Post
My Pioneer HU restricts all features of Bluetooth controls (scrolling thru recent calls, phone book, etc) unless the hand brake is pulled. It only allows to receive calls if the hand brake is not pulled.
I seriously hope that such feature is provided by other brands too.

I just saw the new i10 advertisement starring SRK. An incoming call is displayed on the integrated music system with bluetooth connectivity while the car is in motion. The only saving grace was that SRK rejects the call since he was too busy with his female co-passenger.

Rohan
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:43   #35
BHPian

I have different ring tones to different set of contacts (important business / office/ home /wife / friends / others in contact list). Calls from people not in contact list have a diff ring tone.

I use the Figo' BT but only if it is important (based on ring tone) to inform that I will call back. I pull over and call back. Otherwise I reach my destination & call.

I think there should be a caller tune which says " I am driving I will call back" which can be activated as & when required.
Old 4th October 2010, 11:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
I think there should be a caller tune which says " I am driving I will call back" which can be activated as & when required.
Haha, IMO, when someone is moving, the phone should ring, but the connection should never be able to be established even the person tries to answer the phone.

If the connection should be made available, the phone should remain stationary. The laziness to pull over is what is making people answer the phone calls when driving/riding, once they pull over, no one will attempt to drive/ride after that as they'll be involved in the conversation. This should be implemented with the technology.
Old 5th October 2010, 00:05   #37
BHPian

Ok...So everyone has agreed to not talk on the phone while driving. People have also admitted that they answer the phone to let the caller know that they'll call back.

I once faced this situation - I was driving home and had stopped at a red light. Got a call from my Manager at work. Picked up the phone and told him "I'm driving. I'll call you back."
Duration of conversation: 5 seconds at max.

After I end the call, light turns green and I start moving. Cop appeared from nowhere and asked me to pull over. Said I was talking on the phone while driving. I told him I just attended the call to say I'll call back. And that too, while I was stationary at the traffic junction. He did not listen to anything that I had to say and was more interested in getting his palms greased. Called up my Dad's friend in the Police to get me out of the situation.

I have never called up any contact to prevent getting any fine. But I felt I did nothing wrong as i was stationary when attending the call, hence the call to the higher ups.

The law states that one cannot even switch on the phone while "Driving" or "Riding" a vehicle. Does sitting still, in a stationary car, at a traffic junction mean I'm driving it?
Old 5th October 2010, 00:51   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But some people live stuck to their phones.
From such a perspective. Does a law like this become open to our interpretation.
What is you take on this?
Its also prudent for people who call others on the mobile phone to check if the receiver is driving. If yes, not talk about highly emotional things. Telling a person who is driving while on a call (with bluetooth/headset) very emotional things cannot be good. I often see people celebrating/sobbing/arguing/fighting while they they have pulled out their bikes/cars on the road side, and on the phone. I hope they do some breathing exercises before they hop on/in their deadly weapons - back on our roads.

I hate it when someone says, "I am driving, but I can talk, what's up?". Feel like saying, "shut up and drive, call me back when you are home"
Old 5th October 2010, 00:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

What is the law outside MH?

The discussion so far is based on the law in Maharashtra for as far as I can make out, the Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Rules are applicable only within Maharashtra. What about the law in AP, TN, KA, DL etc.

I agree with TSK, Mobike008, Thad, Milecruncher and others - co-passengers, music systems etc. can be equally distracting. In fact, a wife / gf firmly stating her intention of blowing a packet on some jewellery while one is driving can be far more lethal for attention than any phone call . Will our cops insist that co-passengers wear gags while in the car?

As someone once said: The law is an a s s. (As in donkey). It is for us to make sense of it. Just for kicks, last week I tried driving at 10 kmph as indicated on a road sign and found it next to impossible, the car would invariably move up to about 15 kmph in 1st even with the right foot off the gas pedal. Incidentally one rule that many are blissfully unaware of, is the one that states that all vehicles should be driven as far to the left of the road as possible - so out goes driving in the centre lane esp. if a lane to the left is free.

I agree that safety is of paramount importance and this includes things like having IRVM and ORVMs on both sides functional, wearing seat belts, ensuring that tyres are in perfect shape, ensuring that all instrumentation is accurate, using proper signalling, checking to see that all lights work properly etc.

Cheers and drive safe,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 5th October 2010 at 01:01.
Old 5th October 2010, 01:00   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay.Krishnan View Post
The law states that one cannot even switch on the phone while "Driving" or "Riding" a vehicle. Does sitting still, in a stationary car, at a traffic junction mean I'm driving it?
In some places around the world, it is illegal to be asleep in the driver's seat of a vehicle without any intention to drive. A cop once told my friend "There are thousands of fishes in the sea, the fisherman catches only one". Too bad for that one fish. Point is, once its a law, it needs to be followed. We can fight for the law to be modified, but as long as its the written law, the enforcer would win.
Old 5th October 2010, 01:53   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I hate it when someone says, "I am driving, but I can talk, what's up?". Feel like saying, "shut up and drive, call me back when you are home"
Brilliant. I'm almost looking forward to the first time I get to be able to say that.
Old 6th October 2010, 17:15   #42

Always call later

Hi!
Usually, I get calls during the traffic. I always receive and inform the caller to call later. Sometimes, when there is a huge traffic and no chance of getting out of that, I also make a call. This should be avoided at least while driving the vehicle.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:12   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

A slightly different perspective: in this "always-on" world, isn't it a relief to get an hour to yourself, where you can just drive in silence, maybe with some background music from the radio/CD player? If the phone rings, let it ring! You have the best excuse ever not to respond.

Back to the real world. I only answer my phone if someone repeatedly calls despite my ignoring- figuring it's probably urgent or an emergency. I try to do this at a signal, or where possible, I pull over and do it. Cops in Pune are reasonable that way. In Mumbai, where I am usually only on weekends, I NEVER answer the phone when driving.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:22   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A slightly different perspective: in this "always-on" world, isn't it a relief to get an hour to yourself
Yes indeed! I have long disliked the fact that the telephone is seen as taking priority over whatever else might be going on.

"You didn't answer the phone"

"No, I was talking to somebody".

Many of our friends and colleagues wouldn't think that reasonable, but I do
Old 7th October 2010, 07:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have a Samsung mobile which has an option of setting up a profile for driving. Tried playing around but still unable to get the thing working to atleast send out a message when the profile is activated.

Nevertheless. I am more than happy not attending the phone than angering a few.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks