Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 14:56   #1
BHPian

New Punto got hit, Please advise.

Sadly yesterday my brand new Punto has been slightly hit on the front left hand headlight and bumper.

What happened is, I was waiting at a very signal near the kolkata airport. As soon as the signal turned green, the Blue Innova standing in front of me started moving, quite speedily, and all of a sudden it hit the brakes . Before As I had just shifted onto 1st gear and pressed the accelerator, before I could react, the front left portion went ahead and hit the Innova . As far as I cud make out from the driver's seat, the Innova's rear bumper and body panel had been badly hit and the sheet metal on the Innova had bent considerably. With a heavy heart, I drove on to an empty patch and got down to see the damage, as the instrument cluster had already begun showing a signal of headlight failure/error.
I got down to see that the headlamp had not broken, but the reflector/mercury portion inside the lamp had broken inside the headlight console. The headlight was working, but inside there were quite a few broken pieces which I guessed is the reflector. Then I went on the check the damage to the body, surprisingly I found no damage at all has been done to the front left hand side fender or metallic part. The fender has just got misaligned probably because of the headlight being pushed inside.
The front bumper has got a few long blue streaks, which I presume is from the bumper of the blue Innova. There are no scratches or dents whatsoever, the headlight has saved it all.

I didnt want to keep my car in this way, and rang up the FIAT dealer's workshop in the morning, but they say they dont have the headlight assembly in stock. I argued with them, saying I just need the reflector to be replaced, but they said I had to replace the whole assembly. Anyways, since they were out of stock, there was no point in arguing. I rang up another FIAT workshop, same story there, and then the 3rd and last workshop too gave me the same reply. I again rang up the 1st workshop and asked him to work out the small damages like putting the fender in place, pulling back the headlight in place and touching up the bumper, but they said they are terribly booked as because Durga Puja holidays will be starting from wednesday/thursday. There was a similar reply from all 3 of the service centres.
Feeling very dejected, I dialled the dealership's number, the Sales guy then advised me to get the body works done from a local trusted workshop, as that wont void the warranty. It is just a body work, no mechanical work needs to be done, so please get it done from a local workshop and when the dealership opens after the festivities ( 10 to 12 days) you get the headlight replaced.

So, I went ahead and spoke with our trusted local workshop, they have readily agreed to do the job tomorrow morning. They have also advised me to check at the local spare parts market if I can get a replacement of the Punto headlight assembly so that they can fix it up. I will be going now to check if I can get the headlight assembly.

In any case is there any chance that the warranty will get void if I get this job done outside a FIAT workshop? Can anyone advise me anything on the whole episode?
Old 11th October 2010, 15:14   #2
BHPian

My advise will be stick to an authorized service station and get it done under proper insurance.

Also i can understand that it will be a horrible feeling but once they fix the stuff at the service station it will be as good as new.

I its just a matter of a few days . just bear with it till then .
Old 11th October 2010, 15:37   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Sorry to hear this. Same thing happened to me in my brand new Scorpio around 2-3 weeks after buying it - that time it was a half-witted biker who suddenly barged in where he wasnt supposed to be.
My suggestion is to claim insurance and go only to an authorized workshop for the execution of the repair work, so that your warranty etc does not get voided. this is far more prudent and better practice in the long run.
Old 11th October 2010, 15:59   #4
BHPian

Assuming you get some body job done in the local workshop, you'd again visit *** for headlight assembly.Hence, you'd claim the insurance losing NCB. Why dont you just wait till the spare arrives and fix them at the dealer. And remember, some pics will always get you better advice.
Old 11th October 2010, 17:49   #5
BHPian

Sorry to hear that Arpan. I would also suggest to wait until the Pujas, and then go to the A.S.S. and then fix everything. Unless it is some reputed local shops (Glix is the one I would trust after A.S.S.), I would suggest you to stick to A.S.S., since anyway you need to claim insurance if you have to replace the entire headlight assemble.
Old 11th October 2010, 23:35   #6
BHPian

I shall not be claiming Insurance for this job as this is a minor job and I dont want to lose my NCB for an amount of sub 10,000/-

I have already ordered for the Headlight assembly from a Genuine Spares dealer. He will be getting it tomorrow evening or wednesday morning. I will be giving the car to the workshop maybe tomorrow to take care of the paint damage on the bumper and aligning the left fender.

I dont think these jobs will void the warranty in any way. Moreover, it is the Fiat service centre guy who advised me to go for a local workshop for the body work, it wont void the warranty in any way. All they need to do is take out the old headlamp assembly and fit in and plug the new one.

Please advise guys who are experienced, will this in any way void the warranty? Bcos the engine does not need to be touched. No mechanical job needs to be gone, gearbox need not be touched, and wires need not be cut. Just a new headlamp assembly will go in and the bumper paint needs to be touched up and left hand fender needs to be aligned to the scale of say about 5 centimeters.

The workshop whom I will be giving my car to, has been known to our family since more than 10 years and they have been working on our old cars in the past.

@buntydey: I have spoken to Glix after reading your mssg, they need time to inspect the damage and then they would say if it can be done before the pujas or not. SO, I dont think I will be visiting Glix for this job. Because the body job will hardly require 1 hours time and the paint touch up just needs enough time to dry nothing more. I think the new headlamp assembly would not require more than a few minutes to be set in and functional. Isnt it?
Old 11th October 2010, 23:59   #7
BHPian

Arpan, As far i'm concerned ( i have never claimed insurance ), your NCB would be way less than 10k. It isn't a bad idea to claim insurance. Considering this is your first few months, there could be another instance ( i seriously pray it doesn't happen) where you claim it. 10k is a decent amount to claim while its 100% covered. If you are talking about plastic damages after a couple of years, then it make sense to not claim.

On the warranty front, There shouldn't be any issues with bodywork and replacement of your headlamps as long as you don't change anything with wiring , which you don't have to. If you are confident about the workman ship go for it.Besides, Tata/fiat service guys are no punters either.
Old 12th October 2010, 00:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Arpan, As far i'm concerned ( i have never claimed insurance ), your NCB would be way less than 10k. It isn't a bad idea to claim insurance. Considering this is your first few months, there could be another instance ( i seriously pray it doesn't happen) where you claim it. 10k is a decent amount to claim while its 100% covered. If you are talking about plastic damages after a couple of years, then it make sense to not claim.

On the warranty front, There shouldn't be any issues with bodywork and replacement of your headlamps as long as you don't change anything with wiring , which you don't have to. If you are confident about the workman ship go for it.Besides, Tata/fiat service guys are no punters either.
Right Blackbeast, I am not going in for a claim right now, let me get it settled by myself, as I have taken a rough calculation of the job, the headlight Assy costs: 4000/- including shipping to calutta and everything. The touch up job on the bumpers wont cost more than a few hundred bucks, cos it is just 5 or 6 wide and long lines of blue colour, and the alignment of the fender should happen on its own when the old headlamp assy is removed. Little here and there wudnt cost more than a few hundreds more. Lets see, I shall keep u guys informed about the status and the costs.
I am keeping the insurance away for in case anything more serious happens(I pray nothing of that sort happens).
Old 12th October 2010, 22:59   #9
BHPian

Update:

All body work has been done on my Punto, the fender is now at proper position, the bumper scars and the paint from the other car removed(thanks to 3m Finnese it rubbing compound), bumper in proper position, lines matched. Total expense: Rs. 100/-
yes, Rs. 100/- only

Now, coming to the headlight, the reflector inside had smashed. I spoke to various Fiat dealers in kolkata, but no one had the assembly in stock and all refused to even take a look at it bcos the Druga Puja holidays are beginning from Thursday 14th.

So I went ahead and ordered for an assembly of the left headlight from a genuine spares shop. I shall be getting the delivery of the headlamp tomorrow. Now I have some doubts in mind which need to be cleared:

How to adjust and sync the headlight beam leveller along with the other side headlight, does it automatically adjust? Which position is it in, in stock condition? Should I make the postion to 1 and then plug in the new assembly? I shall be getting it done from a local workshop as the Fiat dealers have refused to take booking of my car for 10 to 12 days due to Puja holidays etc etc. I am sure the warranty will not get void as no wires need to be cut. But I am worried about the headlight leveller being synchronised and calibrated properly.
Can anyone advise me in this regard?
Old 15th October 2010, 09:08   #10
BHPian

My car is back to its original glory. What I did was, took the car and the newly procured headlight set to a good workshop, i.e., Merlin Motors, they work on imported cars and mercs and normal cars too. So, I was sure they would work well on the car. I took the new headlamps to them, and they did the job in 15 to 20 mins flat. And guess what did they charge?

Rs. 100/-

All scratches removed, all paint damage removed, all lines are straight, all systems working, headlamp working, beam leveller automatically levelled itself. My beauty is back to its original glory.

Total cost:

Headlamp assembly: Rs. 4000/- (including shipping from Delhi to Kol)
Body work: Rs. 100/-
Headlight installation:Rs. 100/-
Total cost: Rs. 4200/-
Old 15th October 2010, 16:48   #11
BHPian

Spare parts availablitity

So I went ahead and ordered for an assembly of the left headlight from a genuine spares shop. I shall be getting the delivery of the headlamp tomorrow. Now I have some doubts in mind which need to be cleared:

My only concern in buying a Punto is not the cost of spare parts but the availability of the same. All presume that none of Fiat's spares will be available outside the shores of the authorized service centre (TATA-FIAT in this case). In your case it seems the other way. Are the spares available outside like that of the other competitors !!!!
A lil help needed here
Old 15th October 2010, 17:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
My car is back to its original glory. What I did was, took the car and the newly procured headlight set to a good workshop, i.e., Merlin Motors, they work on imported cars and mercs and normal cars too. So, I was sure they would work well on the car. I took the new headlamps to them, and they did the job in 15 to 20 mins flat. And guess what did they charge?
Great to hear that Arpan. Do let us know where you did the body works from? Pictures of the car please!!
Old 15th October 2010, 23:29   #13
BHPian

@Rubbertramps:
I had ordered the spare from an original dealer of Tata passenger car spares. He took 48 hours and got it for me from Delhi. Certainly they are available outside. And my headlight assembly is 100% original FIAT.

@Bunty:
I got the whole thing done at Merlin Motors in Howrah. You can get any job done at the other Merlin Motors addresses anywhere in kolkata. I stay at howrah so it was convinient for me. I trusted them because I have seen them working on a few Mercs and other expensive cars. So, I knew if I get the work done by them, my warranty will remain safe.
For pics, I shall post new pics soon, but I dont have the accident pics. If you wish to see the pics of the car, please visit this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-2-petrol.html

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th October 2010 at 07:39.
Old 15th October 2010, 23:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

It is better that this thread is merged with your http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-2-petrol.html (My Bold New Punto 1.2 Petrol) which will maintain continuity. Further the hit is mentioned in the other thread also.
Mods may be requested for merging.
Old 16th October 2010, 08:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Rs. 100/-
All scratches removed, all paint damage removed, all lines are straight, all systems working, headlamp working, beam leveller automatically levelled itself. My beauty is back to its original glory.
Thats great. Even I have a patch of paint peeled off from the right side my front bumper and a few scratches. I was given an estimate of 1200 to repaint the entire right side by the authorised tata dealer. I am yet to take a quote from other shops. The dealer did some touch up painting for free just to cover the black patch.
did they paint the entire bumper for you ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks